Best tablets for navigation?

java

Expedition Leader
How many people have a 10" and want a 7"? I was thinking a 7" would be perfect, but someone wants to trade items for a 10" which would mean no cash out of pocket for me. Does anyone have a 10 and regret it? I dont think it would be in the car full time. Just for longer trips. My only pro to a 10" is it might be a bit better for watching a movie or something.

robgendreau

Explorer
I'd like to see more info on certain hardware specs. I like my iPad, but I think that Apple's compass feature stinks; it seems to be off even outside of a vehicle and away from likely sources of interference. And the GPS leaves something to be desired as well, especially in regard to refresh rate (still 1 hz I think).

Being able to attach an external (and better) GPS would be great. With an iPad there are only a couple of solutions available that improve the refresh rate; the Dual XGPS being the one I'm familiar with. If you can live with slower refresh rates, there are others.

And being able to use it with an OBD dongle is great as well; there are ones that work with the iPad through various hardware connections (BT, wifi, cable).

I haven't seen any external compass for iPads; since many use them for nav in a vehicle you'd think this would be nice. But usually an enhanced GPS suffices.

The iPad is a bit of a pain if you want to store maps for offline use, since it doesn't have a simple file transfer mechanism. You have to download from the apps or use a computer. Be nice if you could just stick a SD card in with them pre-loaded.

But for those looking, the first place to start is over in the apps thread, since the software that runs on each platform may be the determining factor.

toygoose

Observer
I'm also looking at a tablet for GPS and mapping, maybe you guys can help me. I have read a few threads including this one and I'm still not sure what I need.

My questions are, for the Tab 2 7.0, do I have to have the 4G LTE (Amazon $269) for it to do GPS or will just the WiFi (Amazon $169) model work?

If I go with the 4G LTE model do I have to have service with Verizon for the GPS to work? I'm sure this is elementary for you guys but, it's a lil over my head.

Thanks in advance for any help!

fetus

Observer
I'm also looking at a tablet for GPS and mapping, maybe you guys can help me. I have read a few threads including this one and I'm still not sure what I need.

My questions are, for the Tab 2 7.0, do I have to have the 4G LTE (Amazon $269) for it to do GPS or will just the WiFi (Amazon $169) model work?

If I go with the 4G LTE model do I have to have service with Verizon for the GPS to work? I'm sure this is elementary for you guys but, it's a lil over my head.

Thanks in advance for any help!

I have the Tab 2 10.1 (Wifi) and it has a GPS chip built in.

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
if it has a usb port, you can use usb antennas.

Be careful about this...many less expensive tablets (including the Nexus) don't support USB hosting which is needed for USB GPS... Make sure your tablet supports USB-to-go and it will likely work with an external GPS...

A better option if your tablet doesn't have a GPS is to use a Bluetooth GPS (assuming your tablet has Bluetooth)...search Amazon for Bluetooth GPS and you can find a good one, I've had a bu-359 for years and it works great

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
How many people have a 10" and want a 7"?.

This has never, EVER happened in the history of man. Just sayin. (On a serious note.. I feel the IPAD is best, as I compare my Samsung Galaxy to my friends IPAD I realize saving a few bucks wasn't worth it.)

RobRed

Explorer
I've mounted/used both the 9.7" iPad and the iPad mini in my LC. The 9.7 is great but I prefer the smaller size of the mini.

paddlenbike

Adventurer
This has never, EVER happened in the history of man. Just sayin.

I disagree entirely, but to each is own. I carry my 7" tablet everywhere I go. I commute to work by bike and I carry it with me everyday. When I leave the country I leave my laptop at home and use the Galaxy Tab for storing trip photos on the internal microSD card, doing photo post-processing, and for typing and maintaining my text (via bluetooth keyboard) and photo travel blog. I use the internal GPS on annual month-long boat trips up the Inside Passage of Canada, tracking our every move, and I use it for navigation on off-road adventures and for every-day nav in favor of my wife's Garmin GPS, which we plan to sell. The biggest value of the micro SD card is the ability to store massive amounts of highly detailed USGS quad maps for backcountry navigation and NOAA chart maps for the boat. These maps take gigs of space.

I have used lots of navigation devices both for personal use and for surveying for work and I can't imagine a better tool than my $179 7" Samsung. I'm not sure how this would work on an iPad, but the $16 device below will read my camera memory, USB thumbdrives, external harddrives or virtually anything with a USB port.
1357285199_469462860_1-Pictures-of--Samsung-galaxy-tab-10189-70-p750-p730-p310-usb-host-otg-on-the-go-adapter.jpg

I'm not an iPad hater, it's just too limited for my uses. And you can see why the 7" size is also perfect in my vehicle:
DSC_0024.JPG

Last edited:

elias

Observer
iPad mini

I use an iPad 2, and an iPad mini. Get the 3G version, even if you don't get a 3G account, those iPads have built in GPS and worth the extra $. I tend to grab the iPad mini before the iPad 2. GPS Maps is a great application, easy to download the free maps. Google Earth is pretty good, the downside is you have to view the area while connected to cache the area.

Have a decent size device is great to have while traveling to use in coffee shops.

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
I, uh, wasn't talking about tablets. My sad attempt at humor.

Sent from my GT-P7310 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles