Triple Aught Design?

RangeBrover

Explorer
A lot of guys here seem to be comparing TAD and Arcteryx to brands like Carhart which is like comparing a Ferrari to a Ford. I buy most of my gear from these high end brands because not only do they last but they fit exceptionally well. All of their gear is made in an athletic/slimmer cut and is true to size, they haven't gone the route of making their clothing for the average overweight American.

DaveM

Explorer
A lot of guys here seem to be comparing TAD and Arcteryx to brands like Carhart which is like comparing a Ferrari to a Ford. I buy most of my gear from these high end brands because not only do they last but they fit exceptionally well. All of their gear is made in an athletic/slimmer cut and is true to size, they haven't gone the route of making their clothing for the average overweight American.

I knew someone would eventually dish Carhatt in this thread. :D

I know it's fallen out of favor as hard use clothing and a lot of their newer casual stuff is crap. But they still make some pretty long lasting clothing and I find much of it fits closer to my smaller frame than say MKs (which I love but, except for their newer line, is for bigger guys or at least as baggy as some Carhartt pants).

The point is a really sensible shopper wouldn't always equate price with quality but use some critical thinking to evaluate what will work best for various applications. The most expensive, most bomb proof version of anything isn't always the best choice. And there are definitely cheap quality products as well as overpriced quality products out there.

We all have different thresholds and needs of course so as they say "your mileage may vary".

Dave

joneseyyy

Explorer
How about a little bump?

Anyone get any new gear from TAD?

I just picked up the Stealth LT hoodie a couple of weeks ago. So far really happy with it as a standalone shell or with a down midlayer underneath. I will say that I was also impressed that blood wiped right off the jacket without a trace (stuff happens).

My blog: www.4funr.com

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
TAD Gear is great, and well worth the price. Wait though, till you start getting custom gear from Beyond Tactical (or the civilian side, Beyond Fleece). Nothing like bespoke for upping the cost quotient.

RangeBrover

Explorer
I've been beating up my TAD Stealth Hoodie LT for about a year now. It's held up better than any other jacket I own, and it's always part of my go to gear. I've ran through dense brush with it, worked on the truck in it, and now I know that blood wipes right off it. Still looks brand new even after all the abuse I put it through.

DCat

You can check where the fabric is made by researching the "RN" number on the tag. I have some experience in the field, and can tell you that some of the best textiles are actually made in the Middle East. Not to mention from an ethical standpoint (ie: sweat shops) they rank substantially better.

If I can dig up the grading for the major companies I will post it. If you do some searching it's actually online.

joneseyyy

Explorer
My TAD Stealth Hoodie LT this past winter during a recovery on the trail...
8umehuma.jpg

www.dirtroadtrip.com is all about scratching the itch for off-road adventure one weekend, one vacation at a time.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I've been working in Iraq and Afghanistan the past three years and have yet to see anyone especially the high speed guys wear TAD stuff. I personally like the Woolrich Men's Elite Lightweight Operator Tactical Pants and Crye Precision pants.

Last edited:

vabluefish

Observer
I just returned their Covert DC Pants. They were nice, but I wasn't into that heavy canvas as I thought I would be. I'm about to be in the desert for a year, so looking for something more breathable.

RangeBrover

Explorer
I love the design of their pants they're just not cut for someone under 5'10 unless you like the crotch at your knees.

Kuma632

Observer
We were in SF for my wife's B-day and while in Hayes Valley area we stopped by the TAD store.
I must say that the mobility/maneuverability in the Force 10 cut is very impressive! The AC material is super lightweight
and breathable. I'm looking forward to a trail test and long term review. Grabbed a few T-Skull Shemaghs for the boys.

Also, for those deterred by the price, or those complaining of cost, consider, TAD merino gear is comparable to
Mountain Khakis, Patagonia, etc. Think investment in apparel. Very high quality products and I personally dig their style!

Oh, and she loves her Artemis Hoodie as well =)

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
The TAD Gear folks were at the Overland Expo and it was really nice to take a few minutes and chat with them. When you think of their gear remember, much of it was designed to fight in. If it'll survive fighting in A-stan, then our piddling weekend adventure aren't a real test. I have found value in the few pieces I own and wouldn't hesitate to spend what ever they asked for the next piece of kit I buy from them. It's worth every penny.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles