Turbo for you Jeep

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Banks is finally ready to release their turbo kit for the '05-'06 Jeep 4.0 (for now, other years to follow).

+66hp/84lbft torque increases at 6 psi of boost. Supposedly, it makes more torque at 1600 than the stock motor does at it's peak, now that's just good stuff.

http://www.bankspower.com/products/show/430/97

I'm liking it. It's still early, but I'm looking forward to the reviews.

Jack

Last edited:

MtnClimber

Ready To Explore!
Now they just need to make one for the ever so common (maybe popular too?) 97-01 4.0L that came in the XJ's.......CUz they litterally made millions of 'em

Silvanus

Observer
Why do you need an turbo, 4.0L is perfect as is! With that modification, if one component malfunctions and needs to be replaced would you be able to find it at an local parts store when your out in the field? With our bell housing just find one of the three AMC V-8's to tickle your lust for power and call it done! With any AMC motor you'll be able to find parts for it on the cheap! more torque means more drive train upgrades.

More money saved = More money for Exploring!

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Now they just need to make one for the ever so common (maybe popular too?) 97-01 4.0L that came in the XJ's.......CUz they litterally made millions of 'em

They are working on the earlier models. Apparently there is some computer differences and that is why they did the '05-'06's first, besides the fact that they happen to have a '06 LJ for their test vehicle.

Why do you need an turbo, 4.0L is perfect as is! With that modification, if one component malfunctions and needs to be replaced would you be able to find it at an local parts store when your out in the field? With our bell housing just find one of the three AMC V-8's to tickle your lust for power and call it done! With any AMC motor you'll be able to find parts for it on the cheap! more torque means more drive train upgrades.

More money saved = More money for Exploring!

Why no AMC V8??? Smog check. California and where I live in Nevada requires smog checks and the motor has to be from the same year or newer. And with the kit running just shy of $3k, I think you would be hard pressed to rebuild, inject and retrofit an AMC V8 in place of the 4.0 for less, even if you didn't have to worry about smog. I agree, the 4.0 is a great motor as is, but this is America and we NEED more power. :wings:

Jack

Chi-Town

The guy under the car
The only thing that sucks about the new banks kit is that it is not 50 state legal and it has no intercooler so in hot weather it'll drive like poop. They are working on other years of tj's but the xj will be a while (I have a friend @ banks)

F40

Adventurer
I think an intercooler in front of an XJ rad would make people's cooling issues much worse. I've thought about turbocharging mine, but the cons would outweigh the pros I think with all that heat under the hood, and intake manifold.

Hawkz

Adventurer
I have been following this since they announced it over a year ago. I have a 2003, so I will have to wait a while longer...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles