Expedition Overland 2013 Tacoma Build

VATACO

Adventurer
What I'd like to know is what sort of cooking setup you guys use. With a multi vehicle team of guys and the thought and organization you put into your rigs and trips, I think I could learn something from your methods of feeding the crew.

ExpeditionOverland

Supporting Sponsor
VATACO we have just updated our kitchen usage for this year. We are very excited. We will be taking alot of pics and a video on this at Overland Expo next week!
What I'd like to know is what sort of cooking setup you guys use. With a multi vehicle team of guys and the thought and organization you put into your rigs and trips, I think I could learn something from your methods of feeding the crew.

Scott Brady

Founder
Sweet!
Bumpersbeforeinstall_zpsfb0883b2.jpg

ExpeditionOverland

Supporting Sponsor
ARE Topper installed!

The Tacoma has a TOPPER! ARE Toppers is a fantastic topper company one we are stoked to be sponsored by. The previous expedition Overland Tacoma had one on it and it endured years of torture including a roll over at one time without even a single crack or damage anywhere. ( see the story here http://www.xoverland.com/daily-banter/whats-in-your-kit/)

With this topper we did make some different choices though.

We installed a CX topper that is flush mount with the roof. We are putting a full Baja rack on the topper and over the cab so we wanted the racks to be flush. We also wanted to keep our top load as low as possible when we install our Ezee awn 1400 Exclusive tent on that rack. For added safety and CG. Scott Brady is shaking his head on the rooftop mounted equipment already. We can see you from here Scott!

With our topper having no back window we took the precaution and installed blind spot micro mirrors on the side of the Stock mirrors. We also have a back up camera that we are still utilizing in the reverse mirror in the cab.

Other choices included:
-All aluminum doors ( no broken glass or "on lookers" here!)
-Carpet interior
-Brand new LED interior lighting with Auto switches on the lifts. We placed three LED lights ( two of them strips) within.
-Utility shelf on the passenger side. This is primarily a camera man spot. Easy in and out as the camera guys are required to do this all the time.
-All windoors open.
-The Driver side opens so that we can access our refrigerator and shotgun rack later to be installed.
-All doors lock!
-Yakima tracks on top.
-Full dust proofing on the tailgate.
-Opening window in the front for cab to topper access.

We could not be happier!

PICS:

Last edited:

ExpeditionOverland

Supporting Sponsor
Master Pull Synthetic line.

When it comes to putting the finest line on the truck it comes down to one company. Masterpull. Trusted by the military these guys have managed to define the most rugged synthetic line available today. The Superline XD. Want to know more about what makes up the difference in lines then see Masterpulls chart here:http://www.masterpull.com/synthetic-winch-line-comparison/

The Expedition Overland 100 Series has the Superline XD as well and it has proven to be a dream to work with.

Last edited:

ExpeditionOverland

Supporting Sponsor
Outback Solution Drawers install

For any legit overlander being organized is key. One can get away with the weekend warrior mentality and arrive home with a disastrous truck that you clean up when you feel like it within a couple of days. However, when you are living from your vehicle the organization of it plays a huge role into your longterm sanity and for us at Expedition Overland that equates into productivity as well. XO has some special things to consider when we are building our vehicles. Not only are we performing a real expedition with all the logistics that associated with that but we are also shooting a full on TV grade show. That set of logistics is actually at times far more complicated than the actual overlanding itself. Long story short... you cant put a price on organization!

The most organized and most planned out vehicle I (Clay) have ever been around and traveled with are the Expeditions 7 trucks that Mr. Brady and his team put together. They are the benchmark of my experiences and there efficiency has been a great influence into our build.

The drawer layout.
Our Plan here was to have a very functional drawer set that will allow us to store the weird items and also allow us to slide fridges out and what not. We ordered a half drawer from ARB and utilized one of our full drawers that we installed in the previous XO taco last year in episode 4. We are going to use the other half of that drawer in the Trailer this coming year.

-With the half high drawer we put in all our kitchen equipment for feeding and preparing meals for 6-8 people on our trips. On top we placed our ARB 50qt fridge on the slide out top. This has proven to be a very effective plan and are excited to put it into practice.

The drawers are actually straight forward to mount. Its easy to over think it when your looking at it. Best thing to do is put the drawers in the back and move them around until you find the sweet spot on where to mount it exactly. Our biggest debate was where to mount them? far to the back and leave room near the tailgate? Or leave headwall space for a water tank of some sort. With our shelving system in the tacos topper it ruled out the front runner water tanks that we were considering. Clearance was the issue. Camera equipment /access /charging space took the priority.

We made a few improvements to the drawers as well by installing some aircraft load rails. We found them at the local hardware store and they support a 2200 lbs per clip. One thing Mr Brady drives home is the load and lashing responsibility we have to our passengers and our gear. If you want to be a proficient overlander then strap your crap!

PICS:

Use progressive bits to drill the plastic bed.

Outback solution screws used to mount the Aircraft rails.

We drilled a few more locations into the aircraft rail to fit the spacing of the top bolts of the Drawers.

Flush fit!

ARB fridge tie down system for the fridge.

Rails

Full system setup:

Kitchen setup test.

Last edited:

ExpeditionOverland

Supporting Sponsor
I need guns! Lots of guns! "Neo"

Big Sky Racks is located in our hometown of Bozeman Montana. They have been producing high end gun racks for thirty years and Police applications since the late 80s. Our Expedition Overland Tacoma received a gun rack in the topper where it can quickly be accessed in a hurry in bear country. For the Alaska Yukon trip we will be transporting a Remington 870 Tactical shotgun with us in 12 Gauge. It is equipt with the Surefire front weapon light for the 870. Light exactly where you need it when you need it. As only part of our bear protection system the 12 gauge offers the greatest range of protection in a single tool. Bear bangers (loud crackers) and rubber bullets are primary with the capability of highly lethal slug rounds if it comes to that. After spending three summers in Alaska in previous years and being charged by bears in the past (Once in my sleeping bag!), I and my team have a full respect for the animal and its capabilities and threats in the event of a moody or surprised bear. This gun needed to be out of the way...yet accessible. We found the perfect solution. The roof of the topper!

In addition while in the home front. We often spend many days in the field with our AR 15 sporting rifles. I would estimate that i spend at least 150 days a year with this rifle tucked into the side of the passenger seat. Time for a better location! Big Sky rack had the answer. A police grade secure lock specifically designed for the AR carbine platform. ELS carbine. With its auto lock mechanism the Rifle stays locked all the time. Its unlocked by a secretly located button that allows the electronic lock to open for 10 seconds. If the rifle is not removed within the 10 seconds it is automatically relocked. No more hopping into the store without a locked up gun!

This method of transport is completely legal in Montana. Follow your states laws.

Bigskyracks.com is a great way to transport your guns.

PICS:

AR ELS system.

Mounted up with head pads.

The Weapon of choice.

Last edited:

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
Ok guys, those racks are sexy as hell and the Sure Fire on the pump?!?!?! lord tell me that's for an Rem 870 hahaha

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
How much do you guys expect this tacoma to weigh in at when all said and done? Looking really good fellas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94