Mr. Buddy Heater with Oxygen Sensor - NOT FOR USE over altitudes of 7,000 feet???

austintaco

Explorer
We have used our heater buddy for the last 4 years. I did notice on our last trip to Colorado that it had an issue staying on, and I attributed that to the lower oxygen level. I think we were at around 9000 feet. We used it in our SUV tent setup with the Tacoma and a campershell, and now we use it with the Flippac. I never noticed a condensation issue with the SUV tent, but it has big vents at the top too. With the flippac, on the first night in Ruidosa, the condensation was very noticeable. The next night I finally convinced my wife to open the tops of the windows. Problem solved.
For reference, the portable heater buddy will keep either of my setups toasty. If you run it on high, a 1lb bottle with last about 4 hours, so we now use a BBQ tank with a hose that feeds into the flippac. If you go this route, you will need a filter between the hose and the heater buddy.

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp
We have used our heater buddy for the last 4 years. I did notice on our last trip to Colorado that it had an issue staying on, and I attributed that to the lower oxygen level. I think we were at around 9000 feet. We used it in our SUV tent setup with the Tacoma and a campershell, and now we use it with the Flippac. I never noticed a condensation issue with the SUV tent, but it has big vents at the top too. With the flippac, on the first night in Ruidosa, the condensation was very noticeable. The next night I finally convinced my wife to open the tops of the windows. Problem solved.
For reference, the portable heater buddy will keep either of my setups toasty. If you run it on high, a 1lb bottle with last about 4 hours, so we now use a BBQ tank with a hose that feeds into the flippac. If you go this route, you will need a filter between the hose and the heater buddy.

Mr. Heater now sells a "Green propane hose," it's not green at all, but it's constructed without a plasticizer so no filter is needed if you buy these hoses. I have two and they work well with the portable buddy and other propane appliances. :)

austintaco

Explorer
Crom,

That's cool that they make these hoses now. If my current ones fail, or when the filter fails, I will have to go with one of these.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Kidde-Car...8905/202756110

Thats what I have as a backup in my trailer- works fine

last year we had a scare when running the generator at night, we had moved the trailer from the center of the plot to the corner

wind dropped- or swirled arround under the trailer.

just before bed - the kidde alarm above went off first then the main living rooms alarm

turned the generator off- opened all the doors and cleaned the air through

next day i added an extension to the generator exhaust which brought it out the other side of the wood pile away from the trailer

Dont take risks- propane and other fires can and do regularly kill people !

I think that alarm was under 30usd and well worth it

trailscape

Explorer
Reviving an older thread, but feel it's a useful addition as the altitude question was a concern in purchasing this heater.

I used my portable buddy heater for the last three days and nights in Rocky Mountain National Park at around 8k feet. It worked flawlessly and kept me plenty warm in my Turbotent.

I had previously been using the Coleman Blackcat and while it works fairly well it was slow to reach full temp and was only really useful if you were running it for a while. The buddy heater is great for a quick 10-15 warm up.

SAM_0053.jpg

skates04

Adventurer
I have camped with mine above 10k a few times, its a little harder to get started, but it always does start and runs fine..... I would use a Co2 alarm, people have died using them in tents. I really like the tip over safety. If it tilts even slightly it will shut off.

I usually just turn mine on early in the morning when it really gets cold, or turn it on when I wake up, makes the tent pretty toasty in about 5 minutes. Im usually to paranoid to sleep all night with it.

One thing is the heat tends to radiate straight up so its best if you keep it in the center of the tent. So you don't burn your tent walls. (If your in a dome tent)

Once you have one you will probably never go with out it! I've owned mine for about 5 years now.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles