Older PLB's?

craig333

Expedition Leader
I've seen some great prices on ebay on some older plb's. Just wondering if theres a downside other than replacing the battery.

CJCA

Adventurer
I've seen some great prices on ebay on some older plb's. Just wondering if theres a downside other than replacing the battery.

You do need to make sure the seller has ownership rights. If you buy a used ACR PLB the seller must be the registered owner and must transfer ownership to you, the purchaser. Otherwise you can’t reregister the PLB to yourself. That’s the case with ACR. Can’t say how other manufactures deal with the transfer of a used PLB. See below:

Change of ownership or contact information
It is the owner’s responsibility to advise the National Authority of any change in the information on
the registration form. If the current owner of the PLB is transferring the PLB to a new owner, the
current owner is required to inform the National Authority by Letter, Fax or telephone, of the name
and address of the new owner. The new owner of the PLB is required to provide the National
Authority with all of the information requested on the Registration form. This obligation transfers to
all subsequent owners. Registration forms are available from NOAA, call +1(888) 212-7283 or visit
our website at www.acrelectronics.com.

jeverich

Luddite
I know with my ACR PLB it was actually cheaper to get a new one than to change the battery...

New smaller/lighter PLB goes into my survival suit since I fish on the Bering Sea, old PLB goes into the truck.

Pretty sure I've got the ResqLink Plus in my survival suit; ACR was running a killer promotion last December. Came with an (un-expectedlely) high quality survival/first aid kit!

Honestly, I'd feel much much better about getting any kind of lifesaving equipment new and unused. But that's just me.

madmax718

Explorer
its 260 right now, for a resq link and comes with your choice of a 200 dollar value survival kit or the test messaging system for 6 months. a battery replacement is already over 100 dollars. You'd want a model which has the features you want. Some have more power transmission and /or longer transmission time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles