Engel vs ARB fridge pros and cons

ExpedH3T

Explorer
Trying to make a decision between an Engel or ARB fridge. 2-4 people (usually only myself and the wife), 4 days out with possibly extending my trips to a week. Was looking at the 65's (wondering if the size would be overkill) .I'm looking for insight from the community before I make my decision. New to the fridge thing. Thanks!

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I have a second generation ARB 50qt. I usually camp with 4 people and its capacity is fine, even on longer trips. However, we do sometimes put drinks in a seperate ice chest to keep access easier.

I like the built in LED light in the ARB, and the whole enclosure is very well built.

Honu

lost on the mainland
Older engel 45 family of 4 we can manage 4 days out easy
The 65 would be nice at times depending on what you eat and want for luxury fun foods like a gallon of ice cream to break out 3rd night and have ice cream :)

When we had our trailer we had the 65 in the trailer and the 45 in the rig we used the 45 as the freezer and 65 as fridge which was luxurious on a two week trip

With just the 45 we also have a cooler with ice still for all the kids juice packs and other things we want to keep cold but dont want to open up our fridge for
kids like to look for a while and decide
For the ice freeze water quart jugs so can then drink or use the water for cooking if we need

Our fridge is set close to freeze so our frozen stuff stays frozen or just starts to thaw around 4 days yet non frozen items wont freeze up

barlowrs

Explorer
LOVE my engel, the plastic ARB latch is what steared me away (engel has metal). however, they both have pros and cons. The Engel does not have its own built in light which the ARB does, so I guess take your pick on what is important to you, they are both great units.

STREGA

Explorer
I have a new style 50qt ARB fridge which will be starting it's 5th year of service in April. It has been running 24/7 for most of those 4 years without any problems. We have gone 1 week with 2 people and come back home with food left over that would cover another 2 days. With 4 people I would want the larger fridge assuming there is room for the larger fridge. Adding the fridge was one of my first mods I did to the FJ and by far the best, most used mod I have done, well worth the $$$ spent.

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
We have an Engel in our Horizon, and one of the new ARBs in the back of our FJ. Both are fine products.

I would give a slight nod to the ARB if I could only have one. For one, the ARB has a digital temperature control/read out, so you know exactly what temperature you are setting. You can get a feel for the Engel control over time, but why? Secondly, I prefer the interior design of the ARB. There is a small compartment up high on the ARB where you can put some items, perhaps fruits or veggies that may be a little fragile so you don't want them banging around with the rest of your stuff.

mbuckner

Adventurer
Either one will work just fine .....

Both are quality units .....

Sounds like the issue is the size you need .....

Best regards,

Mike

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
Pro:

With the ARB unit, people will assume you're some kind of ninja and will not ****** with you.

coax

Adventurer
I have the new style ARB 50qt. Used it a bunch and works great. My one gripe about it is that the compressor clunks most times when you hit a pothole, etc. Per ARB this is "normal" but its quite annyoing when you are on pavement. Not as noticable when on dirt as its usually louder anyway.

Honu

lost on the mainland
Ditto this

We have the twozone baskets and a remote temp to overcome or help out are older ARB model which most know was the engel unit

Curious did the new arb fit OK since its a touch longer ? And is it on a slide at all ?

We have an Engel in our Horizon, and one of the new ARBs in the back of our FJ. Both are fine products.

I would give a slight nod to the ARB if I could only have one. For one, the ARB has a digital temperature control/read out, so you know exactly what temperature you are setting. You can get a feel for the Engel control over time, but why? Secondly, I prefer the interior design of the ARB. There is a small compartment up high on the ARB where you can put some items, perhaps fruits or veggies that may be a little fragile so you don't want them banging around with the rest of your stuff.

Expedition Leader
My only complaint with my ARB is that the digital temp. readout is not accurate, but it's consistently inaccurate so I just mentally add 7-8 degrees to whatever it says and all is well. Not any different than mentally adding to your speedometer when you're running larger diameter tires. :) Mine is quiet as a mouse too; no compressor clunk that I've ever noticed.

jrose609

Explorer
My only complaint with my ARB is that the digital temp. readout is not accurate, but it's consistently inaccurate so I just mentally add 7-8 degrees to whatever it says and all is well. Not any different than mentally adding to your speedometer when you're running larger diameter tires. :) Mine is quiet as a mouse too; no compressor clunk that I've ever noticed.
my thoughts exactly. Mine typically runs 5-8 degrees higher than the digital readout shows. Very quiet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94