Expedition camping in Australia.

HowardH

Adventurer
Not FG specific but I am interested in learning more about expedition camping/travel in Australia. All I have learned indicates that is the place for such activity. Where can one go to learn about it? Roads, routes, areas, seasons, etc.

There is a sub-forum for Australia under International Expo Chapters but there are only 2-3 pages of posts. Still worth checking out though.

Edit: Also a sub-forum for Europe/Australia/Asia in Expedition and Overland Adventure Planning

blackduck

Explorer
There is a publication called "camps"

http://www.campsaustraliawide.com/

it is updated every couple of years and lists all the free and cheap camping spots around the country
for our travels with or without van in tow its our bible
we pick a destination and plan a route based on distance and the availability of public access areas to stop
it also has great detailed maps

a great tool to help reduce costs

WRT seasons
its north in the winter and south in summer
of course this is when everyone else travels and can get a tad busy, for example last year we were going to do the gib river road until it was described as a "carpark" by some one who had just come off it

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
There is a publication called "camps"

http://www.campsaustraliawide.com/

it is updated every couple of years and lists all the free and cheap camping spots around the country
for our travels with or without van in tow its our bible
we pick a destination and plan a route based on distance and the availability of public access areas to stop
it also has great detailed maps

a great tool to help reduce costs

WRT seasons
its north in the winter and south in summer
of course this is when everyone else travels and can get a tad busy, for example last year we were going to do the gib river road until it was described as a "carpark" by some one who had just come off it

Hi Stu....I agree. .this is a great resource. Phil and his wife travel for half the year constantly researching for Camps. What a life......it shows. they are the nicest and most relaxed couple you'll ever meet. Coincidently, they only live a few hundred metres from my house and came over last Thursday night to look at the new Global Warrior camper . At the moment they travel in a LR4 with a KK camper trailer but we're hoping to sway them into a truck-based camper.

Last edited:

Thespoon

Observer
Hi HowardH
Once you are ready to tackle Australia, you would have to tell us what kind of vehicle you are traveling in, for how long you would want to travel and what you would like to see: the Tourist bit or the remote "off the beaten track" Outback? With that information I can be more helpful but be assured that Australia has some very diverse sceneries and I know of places you will not find in the above mentioned books. That said the Camps Australia wide publication would be the best for free camping but is so popular now that in some places you have to arrive before lunchtime to secure a spot for camping, even if you only want to stay for an overnighter. But once you off the main routes you will always find a spot somewhere and you will have it all for yourself.
Hope this helps a bit
Regards
Adrian

alan

Explorer
You can always stay in John's driveway in Brisbane and Stu's driveway in Perth so you have two sides of OZ covered:)

blackduck

Explorer
You can always stay in John's driveway in Brisbane and Stu's driveway in Perth so you have two sides of OZ covered:)

always happy to have visitors Alan
especially since caravan parks around pereth are few and far between and cost a fortune
in the new house ill even have parking for one additional canter
even if it is beige :victory:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles