Edgestar Fridge Modifications Thread

magentawave

Adventurer
Very interesting and thanks for sharing your experience here.

Do you think a box positioned at the top of the cooler with the sides and bottom of that box being insulated with foam and with the cooler set at freezing temps isolate the contents within that box and make it more of a refrigerator?

I spent months trying to make a separate freezer compartment...crazy things like rectangular ducting for cold air to foam box structures...even cutting through the aluminum "skin" in attempt to prevent thermal conduction thus isolating a partitioned freezer...and NO GO. Just could not work. Now, when the fridge cycles frequently, such as hot ambient environment of 80-100 degrees, there is good freezing. But in low-cycling conditions (50-70 degree ambient temp), the two compartments tend to become more equal in temp due to longer time between compressor cooling.
Heh, I even tried adding low-power PC fan(s) for moving coldest air to freezer compartment.
But the good news is that after all this abuse over the 2.5 years I've owned it, even after I've giving up on the freezer compartment idea, the fridge still works perfectly well for its intended purpose...rugged environment refrigeration.

Note: My aim was to set the thermostat to "fridge temperatures" such as 34-38 degrees, and try to capture/isolate the coldest air into a freezer compartment which would stay below around 20-25 degrees.
But, later...after my failure...I realized a more successful design/operating approach might be to set the thermostat to "freezer temperatures" (not sure here...perhaps 15 - 20 degrees?), and then isolate off a LARGER compartment that is most prone to leaking out to the ambient environment (such as upper parts of the box), which would passively maintain refrigeration temperatures while the freezer temp is controlled actively via the thermostat.
Not sure if I'll ever test this second approach, but just thought I'd mention it along with my other hard-learned lessons.

koly

Observer

Xterabl

Adventurer
magentawave, yeah, that is kind of what I was thinking might be a more successful approach...which I was trying to describe in the last paragraph of my post.
But I can imagine the scenario where some air in the upper (fridge) compartment might need to be "bled" out to the outside to keep it above freezing. Hard to say though. Certainly worth a try, in my opinion. Oh, and of course, regardless of whether or not deliberate leaking of cool air would be required, the fridge will certainly use up more electricity, when operated with a freezer compartment.
Well, anyways, perhaps something to play around with in the spring....

Finlay

Triarius
However, after a couple hours on the interwebs I'm only able to find C7/C8 figure-8 inlets that don't have a flat-wall indent on one side... still searching.

I kicked around with our suppliers (mcmaster-carr and grainger, etc) and got nuthin'. Please post up of you find anything. Otherwise, I will just use some other receptacle/plug and build my own wire. It's only 12v at ~5amps, so it doesn't need to be super engineered or anything.

I did have one question - My 63qt doesnt come with a drain. And I kinda think that bolting it through the floor might be advantageous. Is there anything in the floor besides support and insulation ?

koly

Observer
I kicked around with our suppliers (mcmaster-carr and grainger, etc) and got nuthin'. Please post up of you find anything. Otherwise, I will just use some other receptacle/plug and build my own wire. It's only 12v at ~5amps, so it doesn't need to be super engineered or anything.
This company seems to have some interesting options, the connectors are genderless and appear to connect quite easily... plus they've got loads of optional parts like splitters, runners with inline fuses, etc...
http://www.powerwerx.com
OutletPlate_lrg.jpg
HS-8_xlrg.jpg

Silver dude

Xplorer
Yeah I've used them on my rc cars for years as well. They never fail. Have always connnected. I like how universal by design the connectors are. Though not of sealed design I have one on my spare tire rack that has held up well. Put some up front to power inverters and some out back for the fridge and other things

Ben

jvdberg

Quieter 12V fan?

Anybody swapped out the (really) loud fan on an Edgestar for a quieter (for sleeping) / more efficient one? I think I saw someone say he did in one of the earlier threads, but I could not find any specifics?

Fan pic below.

Johan

Attachments

• 20130222_202405.jpg
    20130222_202405.jpg
    513.7 KB · Views: 141

CaliMobber

Adventurer
I was planning on swapping the fan out for a computer one that you can control the speed but I can't get the fan out with out without having t cut the gas line. so the fan says stalk.

magentawave

Adventurer
Hmmm, my last comment disappeared. Anyway, what does the gas line have to do with changing the fan on your fridge? Did you permanently install your fridge?

I was planning on swapping the fan out for a computer one that you can control the speed but I can't get the fan out with out without having t cut the gas line. so the fan says stalk.

4x4junkie

Explorer
No, the refrigerant line runs right in front of where you would take the fan out (nor will it fit above the compressor to get it out). It's "jailed" in there, if you will.

That said, I've never noticed the fan as loud on mine (the compressor itself is at least as loud, which isn't very loud at all).

theksmith

Explorer
That said, I've never noticed the fan as loud on mine (the compressor itself is at least as loud, which isn't very loud at all).

i'll agree, my 43QT, even with the jeep off is barely audible. i can hear the compressor kick on and then a little hum type noise afterwards, and i don't hear the fan at all really.

LifeOverland

Adventurer
I wanted to update this thread with my experience.
I was lucky enough to check the scratch and dent site (a few times a day) and pick up an FP 630 a few weeks ago.
I haven't had much time to mess around with it, but did plug it in (110V AC) and it cooled down nice and quick. Only thing is, it only cooled that one time. After that it has stayed at about 64F. I talked to Edgestar service and to compact appliance who was finally able to refund my money for the defective unit. Almost lost out due to not having a serial number! Well, should have the money in 3 days.
I have a little 12V fridge knowledge from my sailboat fridge so I hooked my gauges up and sure enough, no refrigerant. Added a little to get it up to the required 6-8psi while the compressor is running and voila, cooling like a champ.
I obviously got a unit with a leak or just low refrigerant. There is a self-piercing service valve on this unit that is not present from the manufacturer. I'll be monitoring the gauges for a while to see how bad of a leak.
ge5a2ety.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94