86 Suburban, warwgn's build.

warwgn

Explorer
Works perfect, got clerance for the exhaust now, better skid plate soon, plenty of room to drain the t-case. Now gotta readjust the mufflers install O2 sensor amd finish off the gage install.

IMAG1266_zpsb6c435b9.jpg

IMAG1267_zps9f45f449.jpg

IMAG1268_zpsb95915d7.jpg

IMAG1269_zps044ca686.jpg

IMAG1270_zps83e16512.jpg

IMAG1271_zpsa3e7cbf0.jpg

IMAG1272_zps2518d2c4.jpg

warwgn

Explorer
Hope to drive around on sunday and fill the tank for the first time since Dec 2010, but realized it's gonna cost me about $130.00 to fill it up so might just wait till payday:smiley_drive:

warwgn

Explorer
Ok hopefuly this is the last time. I really like the pinstripe design on this try the best, I did clear on all the grey a few days ago and it worked perfect. I think the black will go down smooth and this should be it this time.

IMAG1274-1_zpsdc42bd19.jpg

warwgn

Explorer
Ha ha, thanks for the good words but this is the first time I have done any of this, just makin my best guess how to do it and goin for it.

BBslider001

Diesel Head
Dash looks really good! It looks like all of the gauges are working? I can only imagine that was quite a bit of work. Electrical gives me the willies!

warwgn

Explorer
well been thinking about the stumble and popping all day, back to trouble shooting the engine.

ok so started playing with the timimg and was at 15.3 advanced, hook up vaccum and jumps to 23.5 or so. idled it down to 850. check a/f ratio and it is pegged over 18 which says too lean at idle. pull out the tool and turn out the a/f screws and it bounces around 15-16.5 and vacuum is sitting at a steady 14??

now gets weird, if I rev it up the vacuum goes up to 20 or more, thinking I need to plug it into a different location like on the manifold, but will get to that later. Still sounds like a miss too will not hold a smooth steady rpm at all, so got out the IR temp gage and start checking the exhaust and find a variance in temps. 1,3, and 7 were at 350-400 5 was at 260, 2 and 4 wer 450, 6 was 300 8 was 230.

I may have some bad plug wires so need to get new ones and want 45 degree boots anyway, so guess I will start with that. I deff got to get rid of the miss before anything and get my vacuum feed sorted out.

like I said it runs fine cruising at 2000 RPM, vacuum at 17, A/F sits at 13.5, and smooth as silk, until you mash it hard it stumbles and pops but if you ease into no problem. and idle is not good either. Oh I did put different springs in my mechanical advance but dont remember which ones so prolln need to try and find stock springs and put it back and go from there. Seems ported vacuum should be really low at idle and not change the timing much when I hook up the advance to it but it does. Need to mess with it more but seems I have a long way to go and several small issues combining to cause a problem.

any sugestions or insight?

warwgn

Explorer
no tuners in here, or at least that read my little thread anyway..

well that being the case, think I will start by getting new plugs, wires, and a new mechanical advance kit with all the springs and new weights and bushings, will put all that on first then start the process all over.

Set initial timing no vacuum at 10*, then see what is does, I can tune the vacum advance 2* at a time but will try to put total advance around 34*

then if it will finally idle smooth and hold a constant rpm I can start setting the A/F screws to obtain max rpm.

as for the vacuum readings I think it is just the cam I have does not produce a lot of vacuum at low idle?

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Looks great! the dash cluster looks like a jet with all the gauges.
Lots of info there. Quarter came out good. Nice to have pre formed parts available.
Windshield next?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior