1911 or Glock

Storz

Explorer
Notice its "or" and not "vs". They are both excellent firearms.

With that out of the way. I currently carry a G17 IWB in a Supertuck holster and its mostly great, however I have to be wearing winter type clothing to conceal it well, and as we know the Glock is pretty fat. I've always liked 1911s but have never owned one. I am thinking of switching platforms to a commander sized 1911 in hopes that it being a little thinner will make it easier to conceal. I don't really like "pocket" pistols etc, not really considering something that small.

Anyone here carry a 1911? I still have a mental block about being able to see a cocked hammer, I know its every bit as safe as the Glock and would probably just take some getting used to.

Thoughts?

robert

Expedition Leader
I'd say it's safer than a Glock actually- three safeties as opposed to two (one of which is on the bang switch itself). As for your question, yes, I love me some 1911 goodness, especially Commander sized. I generally prefer OWB holsters and the Commander fits better when sitting. Steel framed guns can be kind of heavy but fortunately they make alloy framed Commanders which to my way of thinking are near perfect carry guns. Yes, they'll wear out before a steel framed gun, but unless you're shooting competitions with heavy loads you should be good to go for quite a few years. You can buy 1911s from inexpensive like the Rock Island guns (good quality shooters) to the outrageous like Wilson, Ed Brown, Les Bauer, etc (beautiful functional works of art). In between are your quality working guns like Colts, Springfield Armory, Remington, Ruger (who are introducing a Commander sized gun this year), Dan Wesson, S&W, Sig, etc. I have an older Kimber but I probably wouldn't buy one of their newer guns without a very close inspection. I generally stick with Colts and Springfield Armory but there are lots of good guns out there (I have one or two 1911s ;) ).

Be careful of guns under 4" as they tend to be much more finicky.

Storz

Explorer
I've been eyeballing the Springfield Loaded Champion in OD green.

Sexy

odgreen.jpg

dorton

#rockcreekoverland
I used to EDC a Springfield TRP. Until that point, I carried a Glock 19, and have since swapped to a XDM 5.25 in 9mm. If you decide to carry a 1911, dedicate the time to become proficient in the use of that platform, and don't swap back and forth. I ran my TRP in a few advanced firearms training classes, and decided it wasn't for me.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Andy@AAV

Old Marine
I have owned 4 1911 type pistols (Springfield LW, 2 Loaded Springfields and a Para P-14) and sold all of them to buy Glocks. The deciding factors for me were weight, durability and reliability. Shoot them, see which one you like more, carry that one. My current carry gun for 2 legged criters (when Im not in the people's republic of california) is a Glock 23. For back country and outdoors use I switch to a Smith 329PD. I also shoot a 35 for competition. I agree on the slide thickness but for me the Glock works better. YMMV!

Storz

Explorer
That's the thing. I know the Glock is fantastic. I shoot USPSA with it. I may just hold out and buy a 1911 to tinker with and keep the Glock for CCW

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

jh504

Explorer
I love both and carry both, Glock at work, 1911 for fun. Have you looked at the S&W M&P Shield? It's a single stack polymer gun with full-size ammo, 9mm, 40 cal. I have a M&P compact I carry concealed which is essentially the same gun double stacked.
Then there is the Kimber Solo.

Edit: Actually just looked at the specs and the Shield is smaller all around than my compact .40.

Last edited:

Klierslc

Explorer
I carried a Full sized 1911 double stack for several years and ended up switching to an XD SC and then a Walther P99 SC in 40S&W. Getting a subcompact is not the same as a pocket pistol--same amount of rounds, same caliber, just a stubby barrel. I also carried a glock 22 for awhile, but found it just as bulky as the 1911. If you want a carry gun in the 1911 flavor, maybe and older Colt defender or the springfiel EMP. I'll never go back to carrying full size when there are so many more comfortable options with no real drawbacks.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I carry a Kimber ultra crimson carry II for a EDC. I used to carry a XD subcompact but if was just too wide. I say go for the 1911.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Has there been Kimber quality issues?
I'd say it's safer than a Glock actually- three safeties as opposed to two (one of which is on the bang switch itself). As for your question, yes, I love me some 1911 goodness, especially Commander sized. I generally prefer OWB holsters and the Commander fits better when sitting. Steel framed guns can be kind of heavy but fortunately they make alloy framed Commanders which to my way of thinking are near perfect carry guns. Yes, they'll wear out before a steel framed gun, but unless you're shooting competitions with heavy loads you should be good to go for quite a few years. You can buy 1911s from inexpensive like the Rock Island guns (good quality shooters) to the outrageous like Wilson, Ed Brown, Les Bauer, etc (beautiful functional works of art). In between are your quality working guns like Colts, Springfield Armory, Remington, Ruger (who are introducing a Commander sized gun this year), Dan Wesson, S&W, Sig, etc. I have an older Kimber but I probably wouldn't buy one of their newer guns without a very close inspection. I generally stick with Colts and Springfield Armory but there are lots of good guns out there (I have one or two 1911s ;) ).

Be careful of guns under 4" as they tend to be much more finicky.

robert

Expedition Leader
Yes, well documented on the various gun forums and 1911forum.com. They expanded rapidly and have/had issues with the Series II models primarily. While some of their guns are flawless, it seems there is a statistically significant number that have had issues- not acceptable on a firearm designed for self defence. It seems to be a hit or miss type thing; one of my friends has probably a dozen various Kimbers and swears by them but I've also seen five or six that needed to go back and probably shouldn't have left the factory. Poor fit leading to poor reliability seems to be the biggest issue but I've also handled one that had the grip screw bushing seated too far for the magazine to insert/eject freely (makes you wonder how they test fired it and why it wasn't noticed then).

I'm not saying don't buy one, just be sure to check it out thoroughly before you do then run several hundred rounds through it to make sure it's reliable. Personally I feel like there are better buys on guns with better reputations, but that's just me. Whatever you buy you should run at least two hundred rounds through to find which ammo it shoots best, to make sure that it's reliable and that it's reliable with your chosen carry ammo.

rotti

Adventurer
That's the thing. I know the Glock is fantastic. I shoot USPSA with it. I may just hold out and buy a 1911 to tinker with and keep the Glock for CCW

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

That says it all right there.....1911 to tinker with and a Glock when your life depends on it.

jh504

Explorer
A state LE department here was issuing Kimbers to their guys and was having some issues with them so they switched out. I have a Kimber stainless TLE II that has about 700 FLAWLESS rounds through it and it shoots like a dream. I paid $800 for it very lightly used when I was looking for a Springfield. I don't regret the buy, the TLE is a lot of pistol for that price. Just check it out good if you find a Kimber you like.
I don't conceal carry the 1911, I can more easily carry the M&P compact. They say buy whatever you are going to CARRY the most, if you can't carry a full size with all of your clothing choices and scenarios then it would be better to go the smaller route.

gm13

Adventurer
With the exception of a short stint with a 9mm Beretta 92sf I've had 1911s for decades, those new fangled plastic guns without safeties make me nervous(unjustly so, I'm sure)
Sig Sauer Scorpion, Cerakote over stainless, tritium sights. There is a commander sized version also.
1911-Scorpion-Detail-bty-dwn.jpg
If you go full size you can get a .460 Rowland drop-in conversion to make it double as a true back country pistol(though there are those who believe that to be solely the realm of the revolver):
http://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...auto-460-rowland-conversion-kit-prod5003.aspx
Less expensive direct:
http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/rowland.htm

Carry version
Sig-1911-Scorpion-1.jpg

Last edited:

Expedition Leader
Anyone here carry a 1911? I still have a mental block about being able to see a cocked hammer, I know its every bit as safe as the Glock and would probably just take some getting used to.

I carry either a full-size or commander-size 1911 every day all day; with a better grade of holster and a good stiff belt to support it, it is comfortable and very concealable. I rarely wear anything but an un-tucked t-shirt for a cover garment. Again, a good IWB holster will make it disappear beneath almost anything.

Have to say that I don't get anyone's anxiety about carrying in condition 1; that's how the 1911 is designed to be used and it's perfectly safe with redundant safeties.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles