Triple Aught Design?

Sempertoy

Explorer
So maybe I just dont grasp the concept here... But why is this stuff so expensive? You can buy comparable items from lots of other tactical suppliers, most of the time at half the cost of TAD gear. Is it just the fact that its "designer" tactical gear? Or is there something else I just dont understand.

I dont have a problem paying for quality gear, however this seems a bit excessive.

Please explain.

Sawyer

Adventurer
The stuff is well made. So, it is a quality product. However, when you only sell limited numbers to create a market of unobtainable products, you can charge more.

I would go elsewhere. After crappy customer service and never being able to get the items I want due to the market strategy they choose to use, I have decided I would rather support other companies.

Sempertoy

Explorer
The stuff is well made. So, it is a quality product. However, when you only sell limited numbers to create a market of unobtainable products, you can charge more.

I would go elsewhere. After crappy customer service and never being able to get the items I want due to the market strategy they choose to use, I have decided I would rather support other companies.

Yeah, thats a good point. Every time I look at their website, everything is sold out? ******? Seems like an eliteist company. Ill save my pennies and go elsewhere.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
So maybe I just dont grasp the concept here... But why is this stuff so expensive? You can buy comparable items from lots of other tactical suppliers, most of the time at half the cost of TAD gear. Is it just the fact that its "designer" tactical gear? Or is there something else I just dont understand.

I dont have a problem paying for quality gear, however this seems a bit excessive.

Please explain.

Unlike almost ALL other clothing of this genre available today, Triple Aught Design clothing is designed and made in USA (California), not China or Vietnam or Armpitistan.

They sell every piece they sew and haven't reduced quality or outsourced to meet demand.

I'll gladly pay more for the quality and Made in USA label.

Sempertoy

Explorer
Unlike almost ALL other clothing of this genre available today, Triple Aught Design clothing is designed and made in USA (California), not China or Vietnam or Armpitistan.

They sell every piece they sew and haven't reduced quality or outsourced to meet demand.

Haha armpitistan... That place blows.

I also try and buy American made whenever possible, but it seems like a huge price hike... They sell everything they make, so I'm sure they are quality pieces of gear. Just maybe not for me.

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
I own a handful of TAD gear, and I have no idea how they can make it in the US for the price they charge. Very undervalued and well built gear and clothing. Has the OP priced a pair of US made Levi's recently?

Sawyer

Adventurer

Not true. I picked up one of these: http://www.tripleaughtdesign.com/Apparel/Apparel-Accessories/Watch-Cap and one of these for the wife: http://www.tripleaughtdesign.com/Apparel/Sweaters-Hoodies/Artemis-Hoodie. Both say "Made in China"

Like I said above, the stuff is well made US or from China. But intentional lack of product availability combined with extremely poor customer service after I had an issue with a knife I purchased from them, I choose to spend elsewhere.

Last edited:

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
I like their pants and shorts. They're so good I call them "editions." They are products inspired by classic styles, made from extraordinary fabrics (if you've been a customer for a while you know they've had several editions made from unique fabrics), highly detailed, and American made. I've experienced excellent customer service when I've called them to ask questions about fit or availability. I once had a pair of their pants they recalled because an inner front coin pocket didn't have a lock stitch which might allow the stitch to unravel that they repaired free of charge. I wear them all the time and every task -- they've held up like iron, came clean with a little elbow grease, and cleaned up for wear in town. The jeans are relegated to the back of the closet now.

Yes, you can buy a pair of knock-offs for $20.00; they do look similar, but they DO NOT have the same quality craftsmanship, design features, or attention to detail. I even have a couple of those knock-offs; they cover my *** but that's all the good I can say... no features except for the visible cues that they kind of look like TAD pants; I've had to repair every pair for bad stitching, unraveled zippers, NO lock stitches at the edge of seams which have unraveled. Certainly not nearly as good a fit. But they do look good when mowing the grass or crawling under the truck... like old rags, I won't feel bad about trashing them.

Let me make it real simple -- they are "poser pants;" sort of like watching "Heartbreak Ridge" and claiming to be Marine Recon afterwards...

Yes, you can find foreign made knock-offs for little cost. All I can say to that is... 想想你是支持的国家

Semper Triple Aught Design.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
All I can say to that is... 想想你是支持的国家

Will some member in the greater DC, Fredericksburgh, VA area rush on over to check on Tango...I fear he's either has suffered a severe bout of Asian Flu or his Chinese mistress has just slipped the old fart to much Cialias.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Will some member in the greater DC, Fredericksburgh, VA area rush on over to check on Tango...I fear he's either has suffered a severe bout of Asian Flu or his Chinese mistress has just slipped the old fart to much Cialias.

I had these frozen berries from PA somebody gave me a while back... makes peyote seem like baby aspirin.

Ramjet

Explorer
If you follow them on Twitter, they post a hint on Thursday, at what is coming out the next day (Friday). I will agree that their items are crazy hard to get. I do like the quality and have yet to experience any problems with CS. (I have exchanged several items and did not have issue with that.) But everyone is human and mistakes happen. The only thing I have yet to obtain is any Knife. Its like trying to catch Bigfoot riding a Unicorn while holding a Dodo Bird.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles