The TARDIS - A Four Wheel Camper Build

chvy39z

Observer
Nathan
I purchased the smallest Wave model, 3 I believe. I couldn't get it to light but will try again when I am back in Colo. in a few months. I am taking my 3 bag military system next time that is supposedly good down to -40 degrees. Its hard to think in those terms in the summer but the mountains get a bit chilly!

Overland Hadley

on a journey
This Dewalt Toughsystem with different size Pelican style boxes would be a nice organizational solution - i watched a video on YouTube that showed how the handles flip up and attach to the rail of the available hand truck and found this picture that looks to be some of the cases mounted to the wall of a van- the boxes also feature tabs that allow the boxes to be locked together when stacked so it would be possible to just attach one to the floor and all the boxes you attach would be secure- I just thought this would be interesting for people thinking of a shell model type setup....

Those would work especially well for somebody who likes to cook and eat outside the camper, so they are moving stuff in and out. I did a little searching and noticed that Bosch also makes a similar case product, the lboxx. Link

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I purchased the smallest Wave model, 3 I believe. I couldn't get it to light but will try again when I am back in Colo. in a few months. I am taking my 3 bag military system next time that is supposedly good down to -40 degrees. Its hard to think in those terms in the summer but the mountains get a bit chilly!

The Wave can take a little time to get started. Have you run it at lower altitudes?

Sounds like you have a Wiggys sleeping bag. That is what I use when camping in the camper. The Super Lt. FTRSS is simply a great system, making sleeping in sub-zero to warm temps comfortable. Link

I got it when I was doing a winter trip in the topper. I had had problems with my (Marmot) sub-zero down bag becoming too damp in the topper, so I looked for a sleeping bag that would work well for extended times in an "ice cave". The Wiggys was recommended, and I have been very happy with the bag and the customer service from the Colorado based company.

Willman

I think this is going to work! It is lightweight, does not take up much space, and it will fill my needs.

Here it is.

12301211.jpg

Yup, it is a bucket with a toilet seat, (and Wagg bags).

This what i use as well...When it is not in use....I put my propane bottle and wagg bags in there for storage...Works great!

Keep up the great work. I have enjoyed following your thread. Very good ideas for a person who is kicking tires on this subject.

;)

chvy39z

Observer
Nathan
It does work at lower altitudes but not at 10k. That's fine as I use a US-Military-4-Piece-Modular-Sleeping-Bag-Sleep- system. The 4th bag is just a stuff sack. There are plenty of them on Ebay. Anyway I have decided to never leave home without it. I use the same can as you also except its just a 2.5 gal Jason Deli plastic bucket with the seat/lid. Your idea of using plastic trash bags with cat litter at the bottom was another thing that really works well. No muss no fuss and mainly no smell. Keep up the great work.

Walt Knapp

Those would work especially well for somebody who likes to cook and eat outside the camper, so they are moving stuff in and out. I did a little searching and noticed that Bosch also makes a similar case product, the lboxx. Link

My gripe about most of these cases is just how much space they waste with their own stucture. Don't see the need for that heavy a duty case inside the camper.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
My gripe about most of these cases is just how much space they waste with their own stucture. Don't see the need for that heavy a duty case inside the camper.

I agree 100%

That was one of my big concerns when I was looking for cases for my camper. I did not want to "spend" 40+% of the space on the case itself. I did sacrifice some space by going with cases that could be stacked inside each other when empty. If I was to do new cases again I might go with square non stacking, but at the time I did not want to be stuck with an empty case part way through a long trip. It is all a compromise. :ylsmoke:

What happens when you read an industrial plastics catalog in the washroom?

You find a better storage solution for you camper!

Quantum Storage Systems QDC

These containers have a lot of things going for them, including the fact that there is very little wasted volume. A textured bottom so they do not slide around. They stack and nest. And they have integrated lids.

Number one reason I like them? They are available in the exact same hight as the benches in the FWC, so I can extend the bench to make a sitting area or even a place to sleep.

Betty Mills looks to be the best place to buy them.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Your idea of using plastic trash bags with cat litter at the bottom was another thing that really works well. No muss no fuss and mainly no smell.

The cat litter powder was an idea I picked up from somebody here on expo. Personally I think the cat litter powder works better than the "poo powder" and if I had not found a couple hundred Wag Bags on ebay for a few dollars that is what I would be doing. As it is I am set with Wag Bags for some time, but I do use the cat litter powder to supplement the poo powder in the wag bags for multiple uses.

Keep up the great work.

Thank you sir.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Keep up the great work. I have enjoyed following your thread. Very good ideas for a person who is kicking tires on this subject.

;)

Thank you Nic.

As long as you get a quality built camper you will not regret it. And if you end up not liking a truck camper, FWC's are easy to resell.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
With the temps staying around 0*F I have had no opportunity to work on the camper itself. But I did order the parts and start the assembly of the strap to work in conjunction with lifting struts. Decided to go with the best marine solution, SS wire rope and SS quick release fittings. Now, I just need things to warm up and find some free time to open up the camper and make real progress.

0203131528.jpg

It would be yet another thing to remove when you were setting up camp, but you could continue using the same lower end mounting setup for your struts and fabricating a system to hold the sides of your camper together while the top is down/struts are installed. It could be as simple as a cam strap or self-camming rope system (even a truckers hitch would work) or you could get shiny with it and create a cable/turnbuckle arrangement. Just a thought.

Cheers,
West

That is a fantastic idea! Wire rope would be best as it would have no stretch, and we are only talking about a little deflection. Great idea West, thanks! Time to order some SS wire rope and do some rigging....

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Well, winter is still here. But the sun is getting warmer, slowly.

0224131437.jpg

0224131438.jpg

In fact, the ice finally melted out of the roof rails and I was able to do a little more work on the rack system. It was nice to work on the Tardis again.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Working on a new table top for the Lagun bracket.

The new table will be a little larger than the current one I made, but will also be hinged. So I will end up with about 2.5 times the space.

0324131510.jpg

0326131428.jpg

I am not totally happy with the hinges in this application, so I am not sure if I am going to finish the table or start over with another plan. If I re-design it, does anybody have any ideas?

DesertBoater

Adventurer
You could probably start by simply sinking the hinges into the tabletop so that they're flush...little bit of router work, maybe rout your edges while you're at it.

Another option...you could also consider removing one half of the new top, center-mounting the bracket to that, and then re-installing the removed half with hinges on the bottom of the tabletop after cutting it in half length-wise with one half on either side. This way, when it's folded, it's the size of one of your current panels (only slightly larger than what you currently have, and then with both wings folded out, you've got ample space. They could be held in their folded position flush with the underside of the table (so long as your hinges have that range) using barrel bolts...

Or another option...If you want to get really really fancy (and come on...this is the Tardis) you could pick up one of these, and build a frame around it to support it regardless of the width, then find some nice tabletop material...you see where this is going. With this design, you'd be able to use round table ends, so that if you didn't have any leaves you'd have a simple, small, round, cafe-style table, or you could extend it out for a full sized comfortable eating arrangement. And OF COURSE it's practical...:D

Cheers,
West

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Thanks for the ideas West. I am working within the limits of having the top mounted to the Lagun bracket and the space that gives me. But your ideas have given me some new things to consider. Thanks!

EDIT: I did not want to countersink the hinge faces due to the thickness of the ply, but maybe I should slam them through. And yes, the edges will get rounded and sanded, the whole thing still needs to be sanded and finished.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles