The TARDIS - A Four Wheel Camper Build

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Thank you for doing all this research. It just took me 1 week to go through each post from start to finish. I am planning on getting myself a Finch Shell. We are moving back to Canada (Yukon) in April this year from Western Australia. Great camping and outback gear here as well as beautiful 4x4 built for purpose vehicles.

Couple of questions if you don't mind:

How difficult would it be to pop the top without any mechanical assistance with a canoe (60#) on the roof?
Not sure if I am buying myself a Frontier (Nissan) or a Tacoma when we land in Vancouver, but how different is the bottom of the camper for one built for a Tacoma Vs a Frontier? In one of your earlier post you talk about bars used to sit in the Tacoma composite truck bed...

Thanks

E

Hi E, welcome to Expo! Australia to Yukon is a big move, it is too bad that you can not bring a 4x4 back with you. The import law in Canada is 20 years old correct? That would be a '93 now....

Questions are always welcome.

Some people find lifting the roof easier than others. I am starting to think that it has more to do with body size than muscle. I am 6'4" and find it hard to position myself to easily lift the roof. Such is the problem with being a tall person in a small space. Anyway, some people have had canoes on the roof without lifting struts, but I would highly recommend the lifting struts if you plan on having extra stuff on top. Even with an empty roof I really like having the lifting struts, just makes things that much easier when making a quick stop.

I am not sure what the difference is between a camper built for a Tacoma versus a Frontier. It might only be the mounting locations. FWC makes the mounting plates for the composite Tacoma bed, the metal Frontier bed does not use them. (I have said this before but I have come to really like the composite bed of the Tacoma, it is super tough and with the brackets from FWC the camper is very securely mounted.)

Be sure to share some photos with us when you get your new setup.

SLO_F-250

Explorer
One thing that did bother me was the change in height of the bed platform. This is somewhat unavoidable with the slide out bed, as the part that slides out will be higher by the thickness of the slide out material. There would be a way to change the design to eliminate the level change, but I like the way the current design works so I am not going there.

The problem was that my hip bone was right at the meeting point of the two boards, so it was uncomfortable. I think most people do not have this problem with the factory foam, but with my thermarest system (and my side sleeping 190lb frame) it was a problem.

I just ran across this link this evening, thanks SmkSignals! - Under Mattress Air Circulation System -

155_underMattress1.jpg

This system would kill the proverbial two birds, it would even the bed area and it would keep any condensation problems at bay.

It is expensive, but at less than two pounds it is lightweight. (And nothing makes something lightweight like being being expensive.) I thought about trying to find a similar material that would cost less, but I have not found a material that is light and also so compression resistant. But if anybody has any ideas let me know.

Overland,
Just wanted to report my findings on using the reflectex under the bed this past couple camping trips.

The first (3) nights it was around 45-50 degrees. No condensation between reflectex and wood or reflectex and mattress.
Next night was -6 degrees out. We went to Mammoth Valley CA. No condensation between reflectex and wood but plenty of condensation buildup between reflextex and mattress.
Final Night was 25 degrees out. No condensation between reflectex and wood but there was still some between the mattress and reflectex.

Overall I think it was a good $15 investment. I don't do a ton of camping in below freezing temperatures so with taking that into account it reduced the condensation in say 45 degree temps and up.

Ill be getting those struts on soon. Taking the camper off the truck in a couple of weeks for some maintenance and hopefully finishing up the refurb. You rig is looking great! :ylsmoke: Thanks!

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Thanks for the update!

I have been considering using a layer of Reflectix with a RidgeRest in the cabover section. It would be plenty of insulation, but there would be no air circulation. But I am not sure how important air circulation will be, seeing as I will be folding and moving the Thermarest around.

rotti

Adventurer
Some people find lifting the roof easier than others. I am starting to think that it has more to do with body size than muscle. I am 6'4" and find it hard to position myself to easily lift the roof. Such is the problem with being a tall person in a small space. Anyway, some people have had canoes on the roof without lifting struts, but I would highly recommend the lifting struts if you plan on having extra stuff on top. Even with an empty roof I really like having the lifting struts, just makes things that much easier when making a quick stop.

I am also 6'4" and my "secret" (no struts) is to use my head both raising and lowering. Place head against the cross brace board and "use your knees".
Don't wear a ball cap with the metal button on top though.....:(

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I am also 6'4" and my "secret" (no struts) is to use my head both raising and lowering. Place head against the cross brace board and "use your knees".
Don't wear a ball cap with the metal button on top though.....:(

I like it! I might have to try that.

My Eagle has 2" less headroom than the Hawk when down, but there should be enough room to get the squat started.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Roof Lifting

At 6'2 I like to stand on the box lid above the water tank, facing the curb/right side, and lift the front with my left shoulder using my legs.

The rear is easy with my long arms from a sitting/squat position on the couch, then standing up with the roof as needed. (I do the rear first.)

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Reading these makes me want to see Ikea like illustrations. :elkgrin:

With the lifting struts I have to put very little effort into raising the top. But the struts are taken off for the winter, so it takes a little oomph.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
"Cassette" Toilet

I think this is going to work! It is lightweight, does not take up much space, and it will fill my needs.

Here it is.

12301211.jpg

Yup, it is a bucket with a toilet seat, (and Wagg bags). Let me explain.

I wanted something that required little setup, so it could easily be used inside the camper with the top down. Something for those mid day camp food induced emergencies.

I do not mind using the Wag bags, and using them means no need for a wet toilet, and the associated weight of the water. I also find the bags easier to dispose of than black water.

So it just came down to finding something easier to use than the three legged folding PETT toilet. It is great for use outside the camper, but try setting up and using it inside the camper with the top down, no bueno. With the bucket, just pull it out, drop a bag in, and you are good to go. It takes up little space, as the space inside can be used to store TP and Wag bags. I went with a 3.5 gallon bucket so it is easier to sit on with the top down, and it fits nicely inside my storage boxes.

Time for some links.

Bucket - Link
Seat - Link

A note on the Wag bags: I have found that kitty litter powder works as good if not better than the "poo powder" included in the bags. At one point I was going to try and save money by making my own bags. But then I found that you can buy Wag bags on ebay for super cheap. Cheaper than I could buy plain zip bags for.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I have been searching for some kind of small light to have at the front of the cabover area.

I wish I had thought of having the camper wired for a couple of lights on the ceiling at the very front of the camper. Not sure if the factory would have done this, as I have not seen a FWC with lights up there, but I do not see why not. As it is, there is no way that I am tearing into the headliner to pull some wires, so I need to come up with another solution.

I have been looking for a small chart/map light that could plug into the 12v outlets I have at the front of the cabover. I was not having a lot of luck finding a quality light, so I ordered a cheap one thinking I would change it over to LED. I did, but it was still a cheap light and I could not stand the feel of the thing. So it went into the bin of leftover parts from the camper.

Then I came across the Luna LED Light from Goal Zero.
14101.jpg

I must admit that I only know two things about Goal Zero, they advertise in Overland Journal and they have a nice website. It does look like they make quality stuff.

Anyway, going to give one of these paired with a USB 12v outlet converter a try. :)

Amazon Link for Stick Light
Amazon link for USB 12v outlet converter

As much as I liked the Luna light, I found and though I would also try the Firefly. Not sure if the Firefly is new, but I do not think it was listed when I ordered the Luna.

The Firefly is another great USB powered light, and it is a little more suited to use as a chart light. Between the Luna, the Firefly and the Estrella I am now a firm believer in Goal Zeros LED lights. It is good stuff.

firefly1.jpg

e_tardif

Thanks for the reply. Yep we actually moved from Yellowknife to Western Australia. Let's just say that 1st summer was hot and it is still hot. Considering I enjoy winter sports the most.

I have requested a quote for my camper and submited a bunch of questions to them. I am really looking forward to getting it setup. Initial setup will be very basic, optimising storage, jerry can holder, clips to mount my tarp to the side and a small platform for the dog to sleep on. I might see if they can install a propane cabinet to it at the rear. We will be driving back to Whitehorse from Vancouver getting our canoe loaded and we are off to see the folks in Ontario camping and fishing along the way. We will also be driving through northern Quebec and and taking the Labrador Highway to Newfoundland eventually making our way down through the maritime provinces. Our plan is to make it back to the Yukon in time to get ready for the winter (chopping fire wood, getting my snowmobile prepped and buying ourselves some good x-country skis).

Perth is having another big camping and RV show before we leave that I will be going to, to stock up on some cool Oz camping gear.
E

Overland Hadley

on a journey
i almost took the bait. to the point i started to compile some suggestions before realizing i was having my line tugged.

No, I was being serious. I would be interested in your suggestions, most likely I will not totally rework the interior, but I would still be interested. It is something that I do not know much about and I would like to learn more.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
snip...
I wanted something that required little setup, so it could easily be used inside the camper with the top down. Something for those mid day camp food induced emergencies.
snip...

I have both a PETT and a bucket like you Hadley. I've got a good travel storage space sorted for the PETT, so for now I prefer the PETT for how well it travels while closed. But you are so very correct for the quick and easy use of the 5-gallon bucket, particularly with the roof collapsed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior