1999 Jeep Wrangler 2.2L Kubota diesel swap

redveloce

Adventurer
Thanks everyone!

Criticism comes with the territory. I've never been very good at following the rules, and it's amazing how many people seem to think they make them :sombrero: The one thing that I hadn't thought of that I've had to learn during this process, is how to grow a thicker skin. When I'm tired I lose some restraint, and I'm more likely to fight back, which really isn't a good policy, so I try to refrain.

After a little google-****
here are the performance figures for the N/A engine http://www.mgbryan.com/products/engines/kubota/super-03-m-series/v2203-m........ 48hp at 2700rpm
and for the turbo engine http://www.mgbryan.com/products/engines/kubota/super-03-m-series/v2403-m-t.......................................... 56bhp at 2700rpm
These figures are for industrial engine applications so I would expect that a bit more could be squeezed out of them without too much trouble.
Seems a lot of people are doing Ford Ranger conversions over on Diesel bombers with success.
Not my bag, but there are a whole lot of vehicles on the road over here in Europe with these sort of performance figures, Land Rover N/A diesel for example.

There are a lot of different specs out there for the engine, ranging from somewhere in the low 30hp range on up to I believe the 60's for a DI turbo. I hadn't actually seen these specific ones before, that's a lot higher RPM than you usually see quoted. I think it has something to do with the newer emissions compliance. Those also look like IDIs, which would have less power, and be less efficient, but be quieter and cleaner (I think).

Do I have to go and stand in the corner :)

Yes ;)

I haven't really had a lot of time to plan taking a video, so my few spur of the moment attempts have been less than stellar. I'm also generally not home in the daylight, so I have to work around that. I have a friend with a GoPro setup, so we may be able to get something soon.

Here's a very short video I took with my phone this morning. Sorry for the terrible quality, I was paying attention to driving, not filming, so I just grabbed the phone with my steering wheel hand until I was done shifting. I had just pulled it out of the cradle when another vehicle came up to the 4-way stop I was at, so I just hit record and went. Apparently there was some lag before it started recording. You may notice that the RPM seems a little high. The charging circuit in my original 6 cylinder PCM is fried, so I'm using a 4 cylinder PCM at the moment. This PCM is expecting 4 pulses from the signal wheel, but getting 6, so the tach is reading 1/3 too high, eg. 3000RPM is actually 2000RPM.

*edit* I'll add again, that I invite anyone who is located near by to come take a look and a ride in it.
*edit 2* changed video source

Last edited:

x32792

Adventurer
From someone who has grown older waiting for a viable, practical and affordable Jeep Wrangler-Diesel Solution, kudos to redveloce for trying AND thank you for sharing your experiment with us....'Better to light one candle than curse the darkness.'

Did you hear the one about Jeep having a short 2013 production year and introducing a 2014 diesel version in January or February? Yeah, right.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I'm enjoying this thread. I believe size does matter, and when it comes to diesels smaller is better. Americans are obsessed with large engines and excessive power output. We need to take a closer look at the smaller, economical, diesels they are running in Europe and learn something.

This thread is a great example of someone using an available product and adapting it to a vehicle and pursuit they love. American ingenuity at it's best. There is always a segment out there who will say it can't be done, shouldn't be done, and they are the driving force behind those who believe it can be done.

Last edited:

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
not a jeep man but subscribed.. lets cut the off topic drama and watch the man work. really interesting stuff.

X-plorenow

Adventurer
From someone who has grown older waiting for a viable, practical and affordable Jeep Wrangler-Diesel Solution, kudos to redveloce for trying AND thank you for sharing your experiment with us....'Better to light one candle than curse the darkness.'

Did you hear the one about Jeep having a short 2013 production year and introducing a 2014 diesel version in January or February? Yeah, right.

X2, Amen!

stioc

Expedition Leader
Good grief! are we really this hyper sensitive that a guy can't even share his own project he's doing with his own car with his own money without someone getting all hot and heavy about it? Why the hostility? I for one love grassroots engineering even if the attempt or the idea not something you'd do yourself.

spd2918

Observer
Sweet build! I, for one, am not interested in 6mpg rigs. Who but a rich man can afford to drive one very far? You are building something that many people want and what Jeep should build. Less fuel means a longer trip.

reece146

Automotive Artist
Wow, just wow.

Some sad posts in this thread.

To the OP, do you have a scan of the torque curve you can post?

Last edited:

Peck

Observer
Is insulting to people actually doing REAL performance modifications to their vehicles, and I question why the OP is making such fan fair out of re-motoring his Jeep with an underpowered diesel that was never intended to be used for a vehicle.

Someone is showing a bit of *** aren't they? :rolleyes:

For someone on a board with tons of people that modify their rigs, that's a pretty stupid comment to make. Regardless of how long you've been around or how many miles you've traveled. Please step off your high horse and realize that a lot of mods that are on your personal rig someone probably laughed at too.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Awesome project!

Even if "walking swavay" is trying to be funny, its honestly just distracting from the OP's intended subject, if he is ACTUALLY trying to sound like a jerk/richard head/excrement head/etc, he's very close to accomplishing his goal. Mods should clean up related posts, IMO. I'm gonna tag them and report 'em.

thedjjack

Dream it build it
You probably know about Super Turbo Diesel forum, but if you don't here is a linky...

http://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/index.php

I like that forum because several members from all over the world have gone to crazy extremes to squeeze every little bit of performance out of just about every MBZ diesel motor. They also seem welcome to share resources, something I sure would have appreciated when i my swap.
Though a word of warning...They are also kind of snobbish and tend to bash people that re-motor vehicles (other than MBZ's that is). so if you post anything, you might be wise not to tell them that the OM617 is in a Jeep.

maybe he should follow his own advice....

Nice swap...not many options in the NA for diesels...so why not...Mercedes is not the only option...

SouthPawXJ

Observer

Jeep is coming out with a diesel in the 2014 production year. Its going in the Grand Cherokee (again). Same displacement as the Mercedes Diesel used before, but from VM Motori. Hopefully this will someday migrate to the JK from the factory.

This is a very interesting build. Subbed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles