A Challenge - How Obese is your Rig?

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Ever since my way overloaded FJ Cruiser I have been running my rigs over scales to see how obese they are.
My top number was of course my Sportsmobile at 10,000 lbs. But realize that rig was built from the ground up by SMB West to handle that wgt and it always did amazing on the trail or highway.

My latest rig is a 1970 Suburban that I have been going VERY slow on building. On 3 day trip this past weekend I had a chance to run over a scale with some buddies. It was also part of a challenge to Overland Journal to get a wgt on the LR4 project.

So I challenge everyone to go out and roll across a scale on the way to camp next time and see what you weigh and then post up a pic, your GVW and an idea of what is in your rig. I bet most of us are way overloaded.

So as we go left to right on the pic below:
5920 lb Bundu Gear Lexus GX with 1 person & 1 great Golden Retriever
6060 lb TexGx Lexus GX with 1 person
6675 lb me in a 1970 Burb with 2 adults, and more
7820 lb Nobin in a 1972 Burb with 1 adult, 1 kid and a bunch of stuff
saltriveraztekpeak-1.jpg

I will let each of my friends detail what goes in their rig but here is my list to get a better comparison:
GVW 7500 lbs
packed wgt 6675 lbs
what was in the rig-
2 adults
40 gal of fuel
5 gal of water
3 rifles
4 handgun
20 lbs of ammo
sleeping gear for 3 ppl (wife stayed home at the last minute)
63L ARB fridge packed with goodies
Mountain bike on a heavy steel carrier

That is a basic rundown....so who else knows their fully loaded camping wgt and how do you compare to GVW.

ExpoMike

I happened to weigh our rig back last Dec. when I was heading out for AdventureDuo's CalZona trip.

Myself, packed for 4 days of food, water and supplies, '97 Dodge Ram Club Cab, 4x4, Cummins Diesel hauling a Four Wheel Camper Grandby with all options.

Total weight = 8660, Front axle - 4320, Rear axle - 4360
GVW = 8800

Added a pic
IMG_1839.jpg

Last edited:

RedF

Adventurer
Is the orange Suburban yours? Do you have a build thread or more info on it? Looks like a clean old unit, I'd love to see more!

Sorry I don't have anything on topic to contribute to the topic at hand at this time.

toddz69

Explorer
so who else knows their fully loaded camping wgt and how do you compare to GVW.

I don't even have to weigh my truck with my fully loaded camping weight to know that I'm over the stock GVW. The truck's stock GVW is 3900 lb. Changing to a big bearing 9" rear axle (which mine now has), Ford bumped the rating to 4700 lb. I had my truck corner weighed a few months ago and the total with me in it was 4785 lb. I'd expect mine to be well north of 5000 lb. with even a moderate amount of gear and another passenger in the vehicle with me.

Todd Z.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
I just updated my build thread this morning with that exact information.

I have a friend with scales and decided to get the "empty" weight first.

Left front: 2350
Right front: 2300
Left Rear: 1450
Right Rear: 1425

Total: 7525lbs

That is with a full tank of fuel and no one sitting in it. I was pretty pleased with the side to side balance considering the 52 gallon fuel tank that sits on the driver's side.

My friend was out of town with family, so I decided to just stop by the local truck stop and use their CAT scale.

Obviously I didn't get the individual corner weigts, but I did get the front and back weights.

Front: 4920lbs
Rear: 4150

Total: 9070 lbs

Now that was with 1/2 tank of fuel, just me sitting in it and some of our supplies used up. I would put the total fully loaded right at the GVWR of the truck, which is 9200lbs. That means based on a gross weight of 9200lbs, I am adding roughly 1675lbs of weight when loaded up for a trip.

Jack

Last edited:

Betarocker

Adventurer
Weighed in at 3775kg last week. Mostly empty with a full tank of fuel. Items I always keep in the truck are, winch accessories (shackles, blocks, straps, etc) full size spare (37"), shovel, axe, selection of tools, towing accessories.

DSC_0459.jpg

craig333

Expedition Leader
Last time I weighed it was 8000lbs even. Evenly distributed front to rear. Its gained a few pounds since. Fridge, winch, etc, but still well under the 9k rating.

1leglance

Is the orange Suburban yours? Do you have a build thread or more info on it? Looks like a clean old unit, I'd love to see more!

Sorry I don't have anything on topic to contribute to the topic at hand at this time.

That rig belongs to Nick (who post here as Nobin), one of the best build threads you can read is here:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=303017

Mine is the blue Suburban right next to his :)

1leglance

I don't even have to weigh my truck with my fully loaded camping weight to know that I'm over the stock GVW. The truck's stock GVW is 3900 lb. Changing to a big bearing 9" rear axle (which mine now has), Ford bumped the rating to 4700 lb. I had my truck corner weighed a few months ago and the total with me in it was 4785 lb. I'd expect mine to be well north of 5000 lb. with even a moderate amount of gear and another passenger in the vehicle with me.

Todd Z.

Ouch Todd that is rough to be over GVW before adding any gear or friends. But then again that is where I was with most of my rigs before the good ol' Burb. I would bet that with your upgrades you have a higher GVW than Ford gave you.

Great info everyone else and glad to see some folks actually have put their rigs on scales....and for those who have not it is worth the few bucks when you pass a truck stop.

RedF

Adventurer
That rig belongs to Nick (who post here as Nobin), one of the best build threads you can read is here:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=303017

Mine is the blue Suburban right next to his :)

The reason I was asking, the orange one looks like a feature truck from Petersen's 4 Wheel & Off Road last year, or maybe the one before that.. It's not the same truck, but it's similar, if not nicer. Love the Cummins swap. Thanks for the link!

Now back to your regularly scheduled program...

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
During winter we sit just shy of the 9900lb GVWR @ 9700 lbs

Thats 7300lbs worth of truck + two adults, one dog, 4-season camper, and enough provisions and gear for a week of camping in cold snowy north Idaho winters. :ylsmoke:

joneseyyy

Explorer
With me in it, full tank of gas, fully loaded with gear for a 2-week trip...6,200 pounds according to a Texas truck stop.
GVW is 6,300. Suspension is upgraded with heavier springs and 2.5" diameter shocks at all 4 corners so I feel OK if I go over by a touch.
Major weight adders include the front bumper, winch, full steel skids, ARB storage drawers, roof rack, sliders, dual AGM batteries...all of that stuff adds up!
raza7y4e.jpg

darubyga.jpg

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
This picture was taken in June 2011 as I returned from the scale in preparation for an early morning departure the next morning.
5896084312_d1085ec914_z.jpg

Original certified GVWR as posted on the door tag: 6,200 lbs.

Actual weight when loaded for a weeklong trip in 2011: 8,020 lbs. :Wow1:
This weight was without the passenger or the fuel and water cans on the bumper being filled. The gas tanks were full, bar was stocked and the camper was fully loaded.

I suspect 1leglance is correct in that our rigs are much heavier than we think and possibly even over GVWR. I know for a fact mine is well over its certified GVWR. This truck started off in life as a ½ ton short bed 4x4 with a small block, auto transmission along with the small brakes found on ½ ton trucks of this era. I didn’t have time to run it across a scale before departing the week long adventure trip this past summer but it did grace the local landscaping company’s scale the day before we left on the 2011 trip to the White Rim with Coloradobill and 1leglance where it came in at 8,020 lbs.! Unfortunately, they don’t have the ability to weight axles individually but it is obvious all the weight resides in the rear. Even with it being around 1,800 lbs. over the truck’s OEM certified GVWR, I am not worried as the OEM certified GVWR back in those was more based on brakes, tires, and engine cooling all of which have been upgraded and modernized.

The front and rear axles have been upgraded to 1 ton pieces as well as 1 ton brake hardware (13 x 3.5 rear brakes, Dana 60 12.87” front rotors/large calipers) along with hydroboost brakes and 1 ton spring packs. It stops on dime even with it being a heavy overweight pig and propelling the 8,000 lbs. of iron down the road is no problem for the modern EFI big block and manual trans with overdrive. It will fly down the highway at 85+ MPH with no problems nor does it labor pulling grades such as Wolf Creek Pass etc yet still squeak out 11 MPG. It also feels comfortable, nimble and confident on the road or off-road without feeling overloaded, bulky or in the least bit unsafe. In fact, I would have never guessed in a 100 years it was this obese based on how well it goes, stops and handles.

I not in the least bit concerned about the actual frame however if this truck still housed all of the original 1978 drivetrain, I would be somewhat worried about my safety as well as the safety of others I share the road with. Ever see one of those semi-floating axle shafts break while the wheel assembly exits the vehicle? Scary stuff!

That all said, the upgrades done to this truck over the past 16 years do not change the fact that the door tag states it is certified at 6,200 lbs. GVWR. I suppose this could be a problem if I ever run into a state where they actually weigh non-commercial vehicles. Colorado does not weigh personal vehicles and knock on wood, I have not seen weigh stations for personal vehicles in AZ or UT either. Hope they don’t have them in CA either! :smiley_drive:

What to do now? Well, each trip we try harder and harder to pack smarter. We stopped dragging along items that never got used on previous trips and reevaluated the tools and spare parts that I bring along. I am also looking at moving back to aluminum wheels as well as continuing to think of creative weight loss things that can be done without sacrificing reliability or durability.

Last edited:

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Much of your weight was added in the right spots...

Axles and brakes.

The 1-ton units weigh a LOT more than the light duty stuff you replaced.

I wouldnt worry about it. And I wouldnt worry about any "modern" 3/4 or 1-ton domestic truck until it is pushed past 10k lbs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online