O'erlanderwagen build

ScottReb

Adventurer
FrontRunner has different size legs for all their racks. Im going to go with the low on my G. I dont foresee putting anything under the rack. BlueGerbil, you could try their taller legs or add a spacer in between the legs and your current rack, if you really want that table.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
FrontRunner has different size legs for all their racks. Im going to go with the low on my G. I dont foresee putting anything under the rack. BlueGerbil, you could try their taller legs or add a spacer in between the legs and your current rack, if you really want that table.

I think BlueGerbil was commenting on the Z-rail spacers we built for the Autohome/FR table combo.

shaggag

mk216v , great rig. im starting my own mods now (08, flint grey); could you please share your tire specs?

shrub

Any drive-line issues or required modifications after the suspension lift? I'm happy to see a cleanly executed suspension lift on a late model G. Keep us posted.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Any drive-line issues or required modifications after the suspension lift? I'm happy to see a cleanly executed suspension lift on a late model G. Keep us posted.

None. I will say that I am getting phantom shimmies on the freeway, but this could primarily be to the big tires, as well as the shimmies G's were even known for when brand new(although I only found this out after I bought this second G). The shimmies can shake through the entire truck at certain speeds, so it's an exercise of finding a different speed until the shimmy disappears on it's own. At times I think it's the road causing the issue as some shimmies are consistent at certain speeds on my nightly drive home on the same road.

Thx! The OEM springs are NOT cheap, but the OEM's did their homework and with the Koni's, the ride is still truck-like(ie not comfy car-like), but firm and planted. The ride tells you it's a vehicle meant for more than driving on pavement(and driving off pavement is very controlled and confidence-inspiring). Moreover, no odd noises from the susp, etc. All in all, the extra $ for the setup was worth it, and I think it's the perfect lift amount for a G(well, other than the Tibus portal's I'm still drooling over).

shaggag

first mod planned is removing the running boards and fitting 285/70/18 tires (falken wild peak) to the stock wheels this week hopefully. After that I'm not quite sure whats next. suggestions?

Thanks Salah. What mods do you have planned?

285/75/16 E-load BFG AT's (seen on pg2)

shrub

None. I will say that I am getting phantom shimmies on the freeway, but this could primarily be to the big tires, as well as the shimmies G's were even known for when brand new(although I only found this out after I bought this second G). The shimmies can shake through the entire truck at certain speeds, so it's an exercise of finding a different speed until the shimmy disappears on it's own. At times I think it's the road causing the issue as some shimmies are consistent at certain speeds on my nightly drive home on the same road.

Thx! The OEM springs are NOT cheap, but the OEM's did their homework and with the Koni's, the ride is still truck-like(ie not comfy car-like), but firm and planted. The ride tells you it's a vehicle meant for more than driving on pavement(and driving off pavement is very controlled and confidence-inspiring). Moreover, no odd noises from the susp, etc. All in all, the extra $ for the setup was worth it, and I think it's the perfect lift amount for a G(well, other than the Tibus portal's I'm still drooling over).

Portals would be awesome, but maybe overkill for now!

How much larger are the tires over stock? Did you have to recalibrate the speedo? How about gearing? Did/will the suspension lift necessitate custom drive shafts or affect the factory steering geometry?

You mentioned custom rock sliders in the future, to replace the factory running boards, when are those coming? It sometimes disheartens me how little aftermarket 4x4-oriented parts support there is for the G. I appreciate you sharing your experiences. You give us all hope about what can be done with a G.

Looking back, would starting with a G55 be a better or worse choice as a starting flatform - larger brakes, different gearing, tougher transmission (the only downside I can think off is the side exhaust)?

And the tent, it looks small, I'm not familair with this model, but how large a person can it fit? With the ARB-style tents, they are sandwich/fold-design and seem to be twice the length/width then the model you've chosen.

Thanks

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
first mod planned is removing the running boards and fitting 285/70/18 tires (falken wild peak) to the stock wheels this week hopefully. After that I'm not quite sure whats next. suggestions?

Good first mods.
What do you want to do with the G? What's your overall goal/outlook for it?

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Portals would be awesome, but maybe overkill for now!

How much larger are the tires over stock? Did you have to recalibrate the speedo? How about gearing? Did/will the suspension lift necessitate custom drive shafts or affect the factory steering geometry?

You mentioned custom rock sliders in the future, to replace the factory running boards, when are those coming? It sometimes disheartens me how little aftermarket 4x4-oriented parts support there is for the G. I appreciate you sharing your experiences. You give us all hope about what can be done with a G.

Looking back, would starting with a G55 be a better or worse choice as a starting flatform - larger brakes, different gearing, tougher transmission (the only downside I can think off is the side exhaust)?

And the tent, it looks small, I'm not familair with this model, but how large a person can it fit? With the ARB-style tents, they are sandwich/fold-design and seem to be twice the length/width then the model you've chosen.

Thanks

At $13k + install, portals are a dream, to me at least.

~33" tires vs 30.5" stock. Yes, in the TC module you have to trick it into thinking you have the largest tire size possible (combo of tire size and axle ratio).
Nope on custom drive shafts or steering geometry.

I've been thinking about them a lot lately as the side step addition to them would help get into/out of the truck a bit easier. I just haven't been excited to hand over almost $2000 for the complete setup.
http://www.g-wagenaccessories.com/products/LWBw463RockSlider.htm
http://www.g-wagenaccessories.com/products/sideStep.htm
Wow, thanks, but there are others(in Europe) with more modded G's than mine.

'03-04 G500 and G55 have the same size front rotors...however, if I had larger brakes I couldn't have fit the 16" Hutchinson's.
I'm unsure on '05+ G55 gearing honestly.
Many of the G55's were the same 722.6 tranny as I have. This 5spd is very strong and been around for a long time. I believe those with the 7spd auto's were having some issues, at least in the GL's?
Side exhaust of a G55 would get in the way. I like mine in the LR, before the wheelwell.

Autohome Variant sizes are here; http://www.autohomeus.com/rooftop/variant.php
57”W x 83”L x 59”H (open) for the medium as I have. Yes, at 6' tall, I barely fit. They do have extra long which is 9" longer, and also Small and Large widths too. Of course carbon fiber if you fancy as well (if I could have found a used Carbon instead, I would have sprung for it).
ARB Series3 Simpson is 55" wide x 94" long x 51" high comparatively, so a bit longer yes, but a smidge narrower and less headroom.
However, I went with a fiberglass RTT as when it rains, it's far less likely that my canvas sides will get wet, whereas the ARB/EeziAwn/etc canvas will get soaked, and then you have to put it away wet = greater chance for mold. Plus, my RTT is a whole lot more aerodynamic than the canvas "bricks." It would be nice to have a covered changing room underneath, but I can honestly make the same by having some sides made for my Fiamma F35 (TacoDoc has all the measurements already).

shrub

I had a look at the RTTs you mentioned, I guess they look smaller in the picture than they actually are.

Is tricking the computer/speedo for changes in tires/wheels something that can be done at the dealership?

As for the sidesteps, I'm sure you could get a custom set built for under $2k, just need to shop around.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I had a look at the RTTs you mentioned, I guess they look smaller in the picture than they actually are.

Is tricking the computer/speedo for changes in tires/wheels something that can be done at the dealership?

As for the sidesteps, I'm sure you could get a custom set built for under $2k, just need to shop around.

The Autohome's are good sized. It takes up the entire width of my roof, and over 3/4 of the roof length.

Yes. I can email you the link to the info on P3 forum if you'd like. An independent shop with either the factory Star Diagnos or the aftermarket Autologic (what I have) scan tool can make the changes.

$2k for rock sliders and side steps that is. I could go custom, but honestly less headache IMHO to just order them up from Karl at G-Wagen Accessories.

shaggag

Good first mods.
What do you want to do with the G? What's your overall goal/outlook for it?

The goal is to add more offroad ability while maintaining onroad viability (no loud mud tires, excessive weight, etc).

potential ideas include a minor body lift (unlikely) http://www.gfg-shop.de/shop/product_info.php?info=p352_-Bodylift--40mm.html
and/or some kind of suspension modification http://www.gfg-shop.de/shop/product_info.php?info=p1023_-FOX---Racingshocks.html
- i like these fox shocks but the lack of info out there on this mod is always a risk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles