Thoughts on Quick Fists and Shovel Mounting

DesertBoater

Adventurer
I'm trying to mount my shovel (and axe eventually) to the underside of my FWC Eagle where it overhangs off the back end of the bed. I've got just enough space between the stock Tacoma bumper and the underside of the camper to fit the shovel, however I'm not sure of the holding power of my Quick Fists. I know people use them to mount all sorts of things from flashlights to shovels to fire extinguishers, however most of the mounts that I've come across have been either flat with the opening facing up or vertical. With my intended setup, the openings would be facing down, thus if they let go, my shovel would go bouncing on down the highway potentially endangering whoever is following me. I feel fairly comfortable with the strength and security of the Quick Fists holding power (maybe 95% comfortable), just wondering what other folks think. Pictures are appreciated!

Cheers,
West

AFSOC

Explorer
I have used them and they work great. My application was different than yours, it was a shovel in the vertical. I would have no qualms about using them for a shovel under the FWC. They are certainly strong enough to secure it. I did find myself always checking on it. Not because I feared the strength but because I found people in parking lots would unlatch one of the fists, probably idle curiosity. Other than the issue of molestation, I had no problems especially if your application is mostly out of sight. Some sort of cable through the D-handle for security will keep potential failure from injuring traffic behind you. You may make some sparks untill you get pulled off to the side of the road though.

Eric S.

Adventurer
I have a shovel attached to a HILift on the roof of my Commander. It has been down many pothole covered back-roads for hours and had branches/small trees push over it and the Quick Fists held on fine.
I don't worry about the shovel now.

DSC_7516Small.jpg

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
Same here. No worries whether I've been bouncing down the PINS all day or if I forgot to take it off after I come home and it goes to work with me on I-35 every day. I only have to take the shovel off my hitch carrier 'cause I don't want it pilfered, not because I'm worried about it falling off anymore. And the handle on the Fiskars shovel is more D-shaped than round, so it gets held a little loosely. I would imagine a standard round handle (especially wood and not smooth-painted metal) gets gripped even tighter, but the little Quick Fists have yet to let go.

P1020212.jpg

P1020213.jpg

Andy@AAV

Old Marine
I use 2 quick fist to secure my shovel to the side of my bed rack. Before that it was secured to my tool box. Never an issue with the mounts, just be sure to use some good washers to avoid pulling the quick fist off the bolt. I use a rifle cable lock to attach the shovel to my rack for theft avoidance, this would give added peace of mind for your shovel falling off.

Fresno

Adventurer
Same here. No worries whether I've been bouncing down the PINS all day or if I forgot to take it off after I come home and it goes to work with me on I-35 every day. I only have to take the shovel off my hitch carrier 'cause I don't want it pilfered, not because I'm worried about it falling off anymore. And the handle on the Fiskars shovel is more D-shaped than round, so it gets held a little loosely. I would imagine a standard round handle (especially wood and not smooth-painted metal) gets gripped even tighter, but the little Quick Fists have yet to let go.

P1020212.jpg

P1020213.jpg

Now THAT is a shovel. Fiskars, one piece, forged including the handle. Don't let anyone steal it, they are somewhat hard to find.

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
Now THAT is a shovel. Fiskars, one piece, forged including the handle. Don't let anyone steal it, they are somewhat hard to find.

Not to get too far off-topic, but yeah I could not find one locally in San Antonio. Sears/Home Depot/Lowes/Ace/Tractor Supply all had some Fiskars axes, hatchets, saws, tree trimmers, or pruning shears, but not the more mundane rakes and shovels.
I had to order it from Amazon for $30 with free shipping - http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-9668-Handle-Digging-Shovel/dp/B000B6Q6BA

Long-Handle-Digging-Shovel-Steel_product_main_large.jpg

I specifically wanted the 57" Long Handle model for more leverage on the beach (after breaking an old wood-handle spade), but there is a shorter 47" D-Handle version for the same $$ that some consider more 'trail-friendly'.
http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-9669-Digging-Shovel/dp/B000F3DUW2/ref=pd_sim_lg_1

D-Handle-Digging-Shovel-Steel_product_main_large.png

:safari-rig:

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
i use a pair of quick fists on my roof rack to carry my shovel. As with most of the others pictured mine are mounted vertically with the opening to the side, and the quick fist strap coming up over the shovel from the bottom. I think you should be OK with the opening pointed down so long as the quick fist is appropriately sized for your shovel, and you are diligent about ensuring the quick fist strap is well engaged in the grooves. You'll want to be sure the strap fits tightly enough around the shovel so that it provides some tension on the strap to make sure it doesn't work it's way out of the groove.

This is probably the case no matter what the orientation of the quick fist.

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
I would have no worries about using the QuickFist in that manner. I typically recommend our customers to use a stop if not mounted on the rear of the vehicle, for the event of a front end collision.

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
My shovel is attached to a small tool box with Quickfists. Tool box is attached to my bed rails. Sorry no pictures readily at hand. Point is that I have had zero issues with shovel or Quickfists coming loose. I never had concerns because if it did fall off it would only fall into the bed, not the roadway. Great product.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: I just stuff mine in the rear bumper--handy and doesn't move-

093.jpg

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Snagger

Explorer
I use several of them for different applications. Inside, I have small ones for holding jack handles and a wheel brace, medium for holding a Maglite and large for holding a bottle jack and fire extinguisher. Outside, on the bonnet, medium size fists hold the shovel and pick handle (http://www.nickslandrover.co.uk/pioneer-tools-and-cargo-rail/). They have not shown any sign of UV perishing in over four years' use and no signs of tearing of the securing tab. They have holes through the blocks parallel to the main hole that allow the use of cable ties or similar to prevent theft and give a little extra security for objects you might worry about coming loose, but the jaw is sufficiently encircling that loosing a shovel out of a pair of fists with torn or loose tabs is unlikely.

However, I think stapping recovery tools to the underside of the vehicle is a bad location - how will you get at them if you're bogged in in mud, sand or snow?

Boost Creep

Adventurer
my shovels on my rack with quickfists. holds it nice and tight. those fiskars shovels are easy to find around here. local farm store has a big rack of em

0172.jpg

CYi5

Explorer
IMG_2270.JPG

To my surprise, this horizontal mount using quickfists failed last week in Death Valley. I'm not sure if they were just old (probably five years, rarely strapped down) or what. I even had a stud matching a hole in the spade side for extra support. It was one of the straps on the handle side that ripped while driving; lost the shovel for awhile til someone picked it up in the road.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles