The TARDIS - A Four Wheel Camper Build

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Okay, still working through the backlog, but it is time for another photo.

img1763y.jpg

Super Doody

Explorer
Hi Jim, I missed your PM while I was internetting on the road, but I did answer your question back on post 1069. Let me know if you have any more questions.

p.s. I would also add to the list that FWC has improved the eye bolt mounting, as there have been problems with the unbacked bolts pulling through.

Thanks Nathanael :sombrero: Sorry, I didn't notice you replied.

Last edited:

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Just read through your build thread to get caught up with the work on your camper. Looks like you have some good projects going.

Sorry I was not able to get those gas struts shipped out to you before I left, do you still want them?

Yup, I went all in (again) on updating some of the electronics. Was a Marathon Day!

I would very much like the struts. That solar panel added some serious weight up there! I was amazed how much harder it is to lift the roof with a 25 lbs solar panel on top! Thanks a ton! :sombrero:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
The SMEV hob worked great, from simmering to boiling a gallon of water for showers.

I was also shocked by how little propane it consumed, very impressed.

hobi.jpg

Overland Hadley

on a journey
VERY IMPRESSIVE to say the least! :clapsmile
I'm especially blown away by how clean, organized, and roomy the interior turned out.
That being said, I'm sure that your "shipfitters disease" will lead you toward more improvements as you continue to put the TARDIS through it's tests.

Yes, I definitely have shipfitters disease. Ah, well.

"Clean, organized and roomy" is what I was aiming for. More work to be done....

:ylsmoke:

Oni

Adventurer
Nathanael

When you get a chance, can you post more details on the install of your Go Light? That's a great idea! Bet it's handy for finding a campsight at night!

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Nathanael

When you get a chance, can you post more details on the install of your Go Light? That's a great idea! Bet it's handy for finding a campsight at night!

Scouting a campsite, or the perimeter of a campsite, is exactly what it is for.

Here is some info that I posted a while back, just let me know if you have any other questions.

The mounting plate has shims to raise it above the trim strip and the screws. This gives a nice space to run the wires. There is a hole drilled in the floor of the cabover to bring the wires inside the camper, the hole is located above the mounting plate. After the wires were run through it was filled with silicone to seal it.

img0817ep.jpg

img0815ho.jpg

I drilled a hole in the base of the light to run the wires out the side. I then covered the wires with a protective wrap, and siliconed the hole in the light.

img0809qn.jpg

On the inside the wires are run along the side of the cabover (inside a protective wrap before going inside the wall) to the electrical panel on the front wall of the camper. I did not have time to pop the top and take some photos of the wire run inside, but I will do that next time I am inside the camper.

Let me know if you have any other questions or thoughts. :)

p.s. I had the chance to test the light after fireworks on the 4th. It is beyond impressive. It is a tight spot focus of light, with a nice soft spread of flood light up close. In fact, I upset the neighbors half a block away by mistakenly shinning the light on their house, I was having too much fun with the remote control.
:elkgrin:

:)

img0796nj.jpg

*Yes, I know I mounted the GoLight backwards. When I thought about how I would use the light it seemed it would be primarily to illuminate to the side of the vehicle. (I want to travel with the light facing backwards so I do not have to have a cover over the lens. This way I don't have to plan ahead to use the light.) Because of the 370 degrees of rotation, mounting the light backwards means that I can move the light to the drivers or passenger side without rotating around the front. However, this does mean that if I am using the light facing forward I will run into the end of the movement 10* off center. Not ideal, 540+* of rotation would be nice.

Oni

Adventurer
Hmmm, I must have missed the earlier post. I thought I read through the whole thread...numerous times. :)

Thanks again! Mounting it backwards probably helped with the aerodynamics too I'd think. I think that will be one of the features of my future Hawk. Sure beats waving a handheld spotlight outside the window!

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Pop-up and the Soft Sides

img1817p.jpg

Everything worked as it should, so no surprises there.

But I can see why some people want a hard sided camper. It is a soft fabric side, so outside noises, light and wind have their effects. And there is the need to open and lower the top.

-Outside noises and light are greatly decreased with the Polar Pack. I am happy that I have the extra insulation layer.

-Raising and lowering the top does take some effort, but with the lifting struts it is minimal. It also takes a little time, mostly to undo the six latches on the outside. It only takes a minute to undo the latches and pop the top, but I did find that there were times when I needed to do something in the camper and I would crawl in to do it and not take the time to pop the top. Also, because storage is (more) limited with the top down the interior is packed full when the top is down.

-When it gets really windy the soft sides blow in and out a little. And I mean when it gets really windy. On the way home we spent a windy night in a WallMart parking lot, so we were exposed to the wind. The truck rocked back and forth from the wind and the soft sides made a little noise, but it seemed fine and I slept well. My girl did not enjoy the wind, but we were comfortable and we ate dinner and stayed warm with the heater on. The next day I thought it would be interesting to get an exact wind reading, so I looked up the wind records from the local airport. Through the night it blew steady at 35mph, and gusted to 47mph! I am impressed that were able to have the top open and were comfortable in a force 8 gale wind.

These things are the compromise for decreased wind resistance while driving and a lower clearance height.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles