The TARDIS - A Four Wheel Camper Build

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Glad you had a great time Overland! Looking forward to hearing more about the trip. Truck/camper is looking good! Time to go put my mess back together! Its my Friday off. :wings:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Glad you had a great time Overland! Looking forward to hearing more about the trip. Truck/camper is looking good! Time to go put my mess back together! Its my Friday off.

Just read through your build thread to get caught up with the work on your camper. Looks like you have some good projects going.

Sorry I was not able to get those gas struts shipped out to you before I left, do you still want them?

Frosty_1

Adventurer
Nathaniel,

Great build so far! I'm wondering if you can explain more about your propane system and it's safety components. Are you housing the tank in a sealed locker of some sort? Where did you run your propane lines? Did you use copper or flexible tubing? Any detail photos of the propane system? I noticed you have the marine safety cutoff(I found the same unit on defender.com).

Also, any more detail shots of your plumbing system? How does the drain exit the camper? I see FWC uses a plastic fitting, though I think it would be much better if it were brass or SS...

Have fun!

f.

ExpoMike

img1754hq.jpg

Great build and work! In this pic, I noticed what looks to be a Go Light on the front of the camper. Is that what it is and if so, how did you do the wiring to control it or is yours a wireless model? I have one that has a wired controller and been trying to figure out how to control it from the cab if I mount it on the camper.

Thanks!

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Nathaniel,

Great build so far! I'm wondering if you can explain more about your propane system and it's safety components. Are you housing the tank in a sealed locker of some sort? Where did you run your propane lines? Did you use copper or flexible tubing? Any detail photos of the propane system? I noticed you have the marine safety cutoff(I found the same unit on defender.com).

Also, any more detail shots of your plumbing system? How does the drain exit the camper? I see FWC uses a plastic fitting, though I think it would be much better if it were brass or SS...

Have fun!

f.

Thanks for the kind words Frosty.

The propane system is a combination of parts from Fireboy-Xintex and Trident. All of which were ordered from defender.com. From the tank there is a line that runs to the wall mounted regulator with a pressure gauge on it. Then comes the solenoid valve, after which there is a tee, on the line to the heater I have a valve so I can turn off the propane to heater when it will not be used for an extended time. The lines are all Trident marine lines.

All sounds simple enough, but plumbing the propane kicked my butt for a while. It was a combination of learning as I went, and that was hard because there is no ''how to'' when it comes to propane, everything just says have a qualified person install. And also needing to order every little last part online, the local store had a couple parts, but they ended up not fitting and I spent a couple hundred extra working with and installing the wrong parts. It was frustrating.

The propane system would have been much simpler to install if I had not been working to fit it in such a small compartment. There is no extra space around the tank and plumbing.

I made my own sealed and vented propane locker. I could not find one to buy that matched my needs for weight and space.

As for the sink drain, or grey water, I decided not to plumb it with an outside drain. I like to keep my camp (er) as contained as possible for easy departure and to be as stealthy as possible in parking lots. This is the system that I put together right before we left on the trip, it is just a drain hose from the sink going into a folding bucket. It was surprising how well it worked, and I do not mind emptying the bucket in the morning as I do not want to haul around the extra weight of grey water. So for now that is the whole system, sink draining into collapsable bucket.

Here is a photo in camp mode. (The far left is the door to the propane locker.) When moving this area gets stuffed with a duffle.

img1768hbd.jpg

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Friggen awesome inside and out!
Well done. True craftsman.

Thank you. :eek:

Not that I need it yet but where did you buy the reflectex stuff for the windows? Can it be used for insulation around the tent area?

I bought the Reflectix at the local hardware store. But it is available online, amazon and other hardware places have it in various sizes.

It is great stuff. I used it as insulation under the flooring in the camper. Also used it behind one of the wall panels as an extra layer of insulation on top of the aluminum frame of the camper. That made a big difference in keeping the cold from soaking through.

There are a couple of people over on WtW that are using it as a homemade Polar Pack for the soft sides. Only downside to using it for such is having to roll it up before dropping the top, and having limited access to the windows. Those are the reasons I went with the factory Polar Pack.

rotti

Adventurer
I am liking those pretty blue folding buckets your using. They would work great for the gray water on my Hawk.
Any source for those?

I ordered my Hawk loaded and ready but I admire your fortitude for doing it your way.....great job!

Oni

Adventurer
Awesome!

Can't wait to hear about the maiden voyage of The Tardis!

Out of curiosity, what do you think about Phoenix campers? I'm going back and forth between a Phoenix and a FWC Hawk. I've seen the FWC a couple of times at shows and like them, but also like being able to customize a Phoenix.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Great build and work! In this pic, I noticed what looks to be a Go Light on the front of the camper. Is that what it is and if so, how did you do the wiring to control it or is yours a wireless model? I have one that has a wired controller and been trying to figure out how to control it from the cab if I mount it on the camper.

Thanks!

Yes, it is a GoLight. :) I was asked more questions about that than anything else on the camper.

It is a wireless unit, so that made the installation straight forward.

Having the remote is handy as I have one in the cab for normal use, and I kept a second remote in the camper if I needed to flood the front of the rig with light when things go bump in the night. (I found that with the GoLight pointed back at the camper, in travel mode, if I turned it on it flooded the front of the truck with a nice amount of reflected light. An unplanned bonus.)

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I am liking those pretty blue folding buckets your using. They would work great for the gray water on my Hawk.
Any source for those?

Here is the info on the bucket.

Going to use a collapsible bucket to take care of the grey water when needed.

One of these Camco buckets showed up on the boat this year and it is the best folding bucket I have used. (Camco does seem to make some nice products.)

41k%2BbC-moIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

So I have ordered one for the camper. (Not surprisingly amazon has the best price.)

I ordered my Hawk loaded and ready but I admire your fortitude for doing it your way.....great job!

Thank you.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Step

If you mentioned it before, I missed it... From the above picture it looks like your are using a hitch receiver step, which you carry inverted while traveling?

Yup, inverted and locked. I might still try and work out a system to carry it inside, but having it inverted worked good.

It is by Tentrax. They make ''unlimited off road trailers'' and one of their accessories is this hitch step. There is really no info on their website, but here is where it is listed, third down. http://www.tentrax.com/accessories/accessories.html

step2.jpg

These are expensive steps, yup $255. I was able to get mine used for about half that, still expensive though. But it is solid and lightweight and that fits the bill.

Given their cost I will be fitting a storage space for transit inside the camper, stay tuned.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Wow so nice!

Tacoma and FWC is a perfect set up.

I see you are from minnesota. Not too far from my area.

Hey, Pass Lake is just about three hours up the Lake from me! (Back in my climbing days, that railroad bridge provided some rainy day entertainment.....)

Yes, the FWC can be perfect for a mid-sized platform like the Tacoma.

Super Doody

Explorer
OH,

I PM'ed but maybe you didn't get it. Why did you go with the FWC shell instead of ATC shell? Especially when the ATC shell is cheaper.

Thanks,

Jim

Overland Hadley

on a journey
OH,

I PM'ed but maybe you didn't get it. Why did you go with the FWC shell instead of ATC shell? Especially when the ATC shell is cheaper.

Thanks,

Jim

Hi Jim, I missed your PM while I was internetting on the road, but I did answer your question back on post 1069. Let me know if you have any more questions.

p.s. I would also add to the list that FWC has improved the eye bolt mounting, as there have been problems with the unbacked bolts pulling through.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles