Smittybilt XRC vs AEV rear bumpers

cobblecrazy

Adventurer
Looking for input. Going on my 2012 JK. AEV tire carrier swings independant or w/rear gate, XRC only independant. Integrated hitch on the XRC. AEV has biult in in hi-lift safety "catch". AEV 2X the price, but is it 2X the bumper?

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
I would love to have the AEV. The stock door handle opens the whole unit. I have a Jeeperman currently and the latch mechanisum is a pain in the butt. The wife and kids can barely open it. My reason for not owning the AEV is my custom roof rack attaches to the rear bumper of the Jeeperman. At this time I have not figured out how to make it compatible with the AEV.

Septu

Explorer
I've never really been a fan of the AEV rear... however you do point out the fact that it does everything many are looking for - quality rear bumper, tire carrier (only opens with latch - however this is a plus for me), and gas caddy. The 10g gas caddy is bigger than most of the alternatives. The only thing it doesn't have is the additional rear lights, and the pricetag is over $2500 with the gas caddy and taxes.

Have always been partial to the LoD full rear with the tire carrier. However it doesn't carry as much gas (which can actually be an issue up north here).

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
Other features of the AEV not mentioned here are that it has an integrated shovel holder and a highlift & pull pal holder option.

Septu

Explorer
Only issue with it is that I think it would be hard to match the AEV rear bumper with a different front (non aev) bumper.

Bigjerm

SE Expedition Society
Sounds like you are trying to decide between the top dog and the cheap bumper. I think it really comes down to what do you want to spend? You can buy the XRC and then bolt on brackets to carry shovels and stuff if you are a little creative or spend the money and get an all in 1 package.

I opted for the XRC for my rear bumper/tire carrier on my LJ. Fit was good except the frame reinforcement brackets were a little to long and I had to chop a little off. The bolts that came with it were grade 8 I think but I managed to twist the head off one so getting new hardware for some would be a priority. There is a slight rattle with the latch at high speeds on gravel. I paid $300 for it and I feel it's worth every penny and I couldn't justify a higher price tag to carry a tire around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cobblecrazy

Adventurer
Sounds like you are trying to decide between the top dog and the cheap bumper. I think it really comes down to what do you want to spend? You can buy the XRC and then bolt on brackets to carry shovels and stuff if you are a little creative or spend the money and get an all in 1 package.

I opted for the XRC for my rear bumper/tire carrier on my LJ. Fit was good except the frame reinforcement brackets were a little to long and I had to chop a little off. The bolts that came with it were grade 8 I think but I managed to twist the head off one so getting new hardware for some would be a priority. There is a slight rattle with the latch at high speeds on gravel. I paid $300 for it and I feel it's worth every penny and I couldn't justify a higher price tag to carry a tire around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not looking to cut corners, or go for "cheap". I think both bumpers are upper end in quality. I've been able to see the Smittybilt up close in the local 4X4 shop, but I haven't had the opportunity to check out the AEV. I have someone who does metal fabrication so the "add ons" won't be that much of an issue. I really like some of the aspects of the AEV, but at the end of the day would that extra $700 to $800 be better spent on additional recovery/protection for the JK?

Bigjerm

SE Expedition Society
I didnt mean cheap as in bad... I just meant the price. I went through the same thing you are going through. Spend big bucks for lots of little add-ons that the $$$ bumpers have or spend a lot less money and get a basic set-up. Some people love the all in 1 and more power to them but i couldnt justify all the little brackets and such for the amount of money it would cost. I have never used a shovel while off road, or a high-lift jack (dont even own 1) and I dont have jerry cans so the basic fit me perfect.

Bowzer5

I wouldn't do either. I have an AEV front bumper on my JK now and the rust is bad. I live in Nebraska (we don't use salt) and it's rusting . . . doesn't say much for the quality. I had looked into their gas caddy system and honestly looks like a bigger problem than an advantage. I'm not a supporter of pumping fluid out and my overall experience with hand bumps hasn't been that great.

On my old TJ and YJ I had Hanson and Wilderness bumpers. They had plenty of accessory mounts for jerry cans, cargo, jacks, and so on. They're a better price and had better powder coating too. I wouldn't limit your search and I would definitely go with portable gas cans. Not only could you use a portable can for something else (lawnmower) but you don't have to worry about a pump breaking because gravity is all you need.

ncflyer

I wouldn't do either. I have an AEV front bumper on my JK now and the rust is bad. I live in Nebraska (we don't use salt) and it's rusting . . . doesn't say much for the quality. I had looked into their gas caddy system and honestly looks like a bigger problem than an advantage. I'm not a supporter of pumping fluid out and my overall experience with hand bumps hasn't been that great.

On my old TJ and YJ I had Hanson and Wilderness bumpers. They had plenty of accessory mounts for jerry cans, cargo, jacks, and so on. They're a better price and had better powder coating too. I wouldn't limit your search and I would definitely go with portable gas cans. Not only could you use a portable can for something else (lawnmower) but you don't have to worry about a pump breaking because gravity is all you need.

Not saying it's any better, just sayin...AEV fuel caddy comes with a super siphon hose. The don't use any sort of pump. Maybe thinking about the pump they have for the bumper water tanks.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Honestly, I wish a company would just make a simple light rear bumper. Nothing fancy, it could even look mostly like the stock bumper. Improve the clearance at the corners slightly. Modify the clearance scallop in the middle to match a larger tire radius. Add some simple tow hook supports. Use the factory hitch. Add a step on each corner for getting at things on the roof. With the factory hitch and supporting crossmember you don't need a big thick heavy steel bumper in my opinion. Something like 1/8" aluminum would be just fine if designed properly, heck even a composite bumper would be more than enough most of the time. So what if you have to change the bumper out every 10 years if you get too many small dents or dings.....

Bowzer5

Not saying it's any better, just sayin...AEV fuel caddy comes with a super siphon hose. The don't use any sort of pump. Maybe thinking about the pump they have for the bumper water tanks.

I shouldn't have said "pump" its a shaker siphon type deal. I'll continue to turn a portable gas can up for $300.00 less. These Daystar Cans seem like a better/more versicle value.

I totally agree on the Aluminum rear bumpers. Getting the weight down would be nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles