CJ Grille Conversion Kit for the TJ/LJ

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Very cool!

if your going to all the trouble of a custom fender, why not make the wheel opening longer also? Basically run the wheel opening all the way back to the body tub instead of having 3-4" of wasted space in that area?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Very cool!

if your going to all the trouble of a custom fender, why not make the wheel opening longer also? Basically run the wheel opening all the way back to the body tub instead of having 3-4" of wasted space in that area?
Moving the wheel opening back would require re-engineering a bunch of stuff in the TJ engine compartment. In the photo below you can see the factory brackets that go between the inner fender and the firewall. Those brackets support the TJ's battery tray (on the passenger side anyway), so moving the fender back requires those brackets to be modified or eliminated, and likely the battery would need to be relocated.

InnersInstalled3.jpg

One of my main design goals for this kit, including the high line version of the kit, is that no modifications need to be made to the Jeep - everything is a direct bolt on.

upsidedown

Can you make a version that uses highlined fenders and hood? That would be something that I would be very interested in purchasing.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Can you make a version that uses highlined fenders and hood? That would be something that I would be very interested in purchasing.
I'm confused - I've shown possible high line options for this kit in posts 28 and 22 of this thread - or do you mean something other than what I've shown?

HighLine3dConcept1.jpg

reece146

Automotive Artist
He's probably confused by how good your set up looks. It doesn't look like a billy-bob hack job so it can't possibly be a high fender arrangement. ;)

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Project update... I've made the molds for all of the parts except the hood, I'm working on that one now. Here's some shots of the first final parts from the molds - the fenders and the cowl panel.

FendersWashed1.jpg

FendersInstall20.jpg

FendersInstall22.jpg

FendersInstall23.jpg

FendersInstall21.jpg

They're installed on a TJ tub with a CJ grille. The radiator, A/C condenser, fan shroud and coolant recovery bottle are all stock TJ parts; a custom bracket set enables them to bolt right up the the CJ grille shell. The grille-firewall brace rods are stock CJ parts.

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Looking good JS... See your up to your usual amazing standards! :)
I have to wonder what these would be called when they are done... Does it make the TJ a TC? A T/Cj? T&J??

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Looking good JS... See your up to your usual amazing standards! :)
Measure, measure, measure, build, check, measure and check again :).

With everything bolted together, I threw the hood master on to check not only the fit of the hood, but to make sure everything else lines up as planned, in case any corrections need to be made before I go too far. For example, are the fronts of the fenders perfectly parallel? Are the fenders level across the front?

FenderFrontCheck.jpg

Everything checks, so now it's on to making the mold for the hood and then molding a final hood.

I have to wonder what these would be called when they are done... Does it make the TJ a TC? A T/Cj? T&J??
I haven't been able to come up with any appropriate and "catchy" names, but if anyone has any ideas, I'd like to hear them... :)

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I'm about to begin prep work on the hood so I can make a mold from it, but before I do that, I thought it would be a good idea to throw the hood master on the mockup to make sure everything still fits.

FullClip20.jpg

FullClip21.jpg

I can't bolt the hinges up on the tub side because the new cowl panel has the hinges spaced wider and I made the hood before I had the hinge spacing blocks made, so on the hood they're at the narrower TJ width. The final hood that comes out of the mold will be drilled for the hinges at the wider spacing.

This photo shows the hardware I plan to use on my Jeep - TJ footman loop, CJ/YJ windshield rests, CJ/YJ hood hinges (they'll be painted body color), and TJ hood latches. And a late '95 YJ cowl vent grille. This is just my choice, but you could also use CJ hood latches and any other combination of parts.

FullClip22.jpg

FullClip23.jpg

FullClip24.jpg

FullClip25.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I would suggest to keep in simple ..... TJ-7 kit covers what it is and what it does

But what if it goes on an LJ? ;)

I think SneakyTJ was making a suggestion for what the kit is called, not what the resulting vehicle is called. SneakyTJ's logic is good if he's suggesting TJ-7 as a kit name.

As for what the resulting vehicle is called, whether it's a TJ or an LJ, I don't know :).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles