The TARDIS - A Four Wheel Camper Build

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Hello Nathanael, just catching up on your build thread – the last great thread on ExPo.

Dynamite job. The camper is looking really good.

Thank you!

I see you are staying the course on weight distribution:

I am trying hard to do that.

But frankly, I am worried you’re becoming addicted to aluminum – you’re not licking the stuff are you? - cause that's real bad !!

Umm, no comment. But aluminum is my new favorite.

And I did buy this,

books

Seriously though, I can’t remember if you’re using backer plates inside for the main camper mounting bolts – I’d recommend it if possible.

FWC's now have aluminum backing plates on the mounting bolts. They are not huge, but they are fairly beefy.

Also, I see you and your girl have been out and about in the rig. Please do more of this.

That is the plan! :)

Carlyle

Explorer
Hi,

Just read your build from beginning to end thus far and must say I am much impressed with what you have done. I like a number of the ideas you have incorporated into your camper and may have to order one of those table mounts soon. Oh, and the Fantastic fan mod and a few other tweaks...

Thanks and awesome build!

Carl

Last edited:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Hi,

Just read your build from beginning to end thus far and must say I am much impressed with what you have done. I like a number of the ideas you have incorporated into your camper and may have to order one of those table mounts soon. Oh, and the Fantastic fan mod and a few other tweaks...

Thanks and awesome build!

Carl

That Sir, must have taken all day ;)

Yes Carl, that is impressive that you read through this whole thread. What are we up to, something over 900 posts. :snorkel:

I am glad that some of my ideas, tinkering, and research can be of help. :ylsmoke:

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Ordered a couple of these, Blue Sea Systems 2.1A USB outlet.

44767__43378_zoom.gif

From Amazon

Hey Overland, I stole this idea from you! Thanks! I think Im going to add a switch to it just in case I get a light constant drain. Have you thought about that? We'll of course you have, but what are you planning on doing? Thanks! :sombrero:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Master 12v Switch

Hey Overland, I stole this idea from you! Thanks! I think Im going to add a switch to it just in case I get a light constant drain. Have you thought about that? We'll of course you have, but what are you planning on doing? Thanks! :sombrero:

Yes, I am very concerned about ghost battery drain, as I will only have the trucks single deep cycle battery powering the camper. The last thing I want is to come back from a multi day hike to find a dead battery! So for me one of these was a must,

Battery Switch, Link

41-eH8h9j-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Last edited:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Rear Flood Lights

How much light around the camper do I ''need''?

www.rigidindustries.com/

Decided that 2600 lumens should be enough. :elkgrin:

Went with a pair of diffused Duallys for the rear flood lights.

First thing I had to do was take the lights apart and cut the nice wiring the lights come with in order to wire them into the factory rear flood light wiring. Glad I took them apart as I am impressed with the construction of these lights, well worth the cost.

Bought the pair on ebay for $175 shipped.

Now I just need some time to work on mounting them. :snorkel:

Last edited:

dags

Adventurer
Decided that 2600 lumens should be enough. :elkgrin:

Went with a pair of diffused Duallys for the rear flood lights.

First thing I had to do was take the lights apart and cut the nice wiring the lights come with in order to wire them into the factory rear flood light wiring. Glad I took them apart as I am impressed with the construction of these lights, well worth the cost.

Bought the pair on ebay for $175 shipped.

Now I just need some time to work on mounting them. :snorkel:

Got any ideas for lights on the side that would provide similar lighting to the light on the back of the camper?

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Got any ideas for lights on the side that would provide similar lighting to the light on the back of the camper?

Are you referring to the small light by the door? If so, below are the lights that I am using for that application and I also have one on the passenger side wall.

Thanks to westyss for posting information about his outside light.

The Smart Light with Star Monitor

lightve.jpg

I also installed this outside light, these are great, has a motion detector and came with LED, very bright and works great, recommended! It can be used normally on or set up for motion detection, and will blink red if battery levels go too low.

Light update; this light is a great addition to my camper, I like the fact that its LED, and a nice bright LED, the motion detection is great, we sit at the fire and its nice and dark, when we need to go inside to make another cold beverage, get up and the light turns on to pave the way. It doesnt go off with the dog roaming around. Two thumbs up for this unit.

Best place to buy looks to be on ebay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94