Post Pics of Your Hard Side Camper!

jefe4x4

Observer
One pretty good reason to own a hard side

I always wondered what the maximum snow load of a hard side truck camper would be. At least this much; and this is in my driveway! That little person down the walk is my fetching frau, Jeanie, who is 5'4", not a midget. All four corners of the 'one ton' suspension were on the snubbers until I raked the snow off. At least the ground pressure was great on the snow for traction! After the winter of '10/11, I bought a tractor with a big honking snow blower to keep the lane clear.
DSCN1836.jpg

DSCN1843.jpg

tombodad

Adventurer
I always wondered what the maximum snow load of a hard side truck camper would be. At least this much; and this is in my driveway! That little person down the walk is my fetching frau, Jeanie, who is 5'4", not a midget. All four corners of the 'one ton' suspension were on the snubbers until I raked the snow off. At least the ground pressure was great on the snow for traction! After the winter of '10/11, I bought a tractor with a big honking snow blower to keep the lane clear.

:Wow1:

BCHauler

Adventurer
Canada Day long weekend

july 2012 018.jpg
This is my hillbilly setup. Mom, Dad, and 2 year old in the camper. Nine year old and ten year old in the camperette on wheels. This was our first time with this setup. Drove over the Coquihalla Highway to Okanagan Lake. Pic is waiting at the Horseshoe Bay ferry terminal in West Vancouver to go home.

easyshell

here is ours bigfoot 2500 10.5 with int 4700

Attachments

• IMG_0662.JPG
    IMG_0662.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_0663.JPG
    IMG_0663.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 241

uriedog

metal melter
1983 ish Valley 7ft

Just picked up this little camper. It was a really good deal. There is some water damage inside that I will repair, and re-seal the roof. According to the spec sheet its 900lbs. Seems to ride not bad on my truck. The truck squats about 3" when I drop it on. And seems a little top heavy. I'm not really sure how it should ride as I have not been in a truck camper since I was a kid.

Oh ya, the truck has new OME HD rear springs. And I removed the old rusty toyota box and built a flat deck for it

DSC_0709.jpg

This little camper has some history, its been all over North, Central, and South America

DSC_0713.JPG

Last edited:

Stan@FourWheel

Explorer
2012 Four Wheel Camper

Hawk Model Hard Sided Cabover Camper

:)

Attachments

• 7777777.JPG
    7777777.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 175
  • 4444444.JPG
    4444444.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 175
  • 5555555.JPG
    5555555.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 166
  • 6666666.JPG
    6666666.JPG
    121.4 KB · Views: 161

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Stan, while I appreciate the need to keep lowers similar to streamline production, does it not make more sense to move the main windows up so you can see out of them? I have owned hard side and pop-up campers, and have never understood the rational behind putting huge windows behind seat cushions as most pop-up builders do. Is the aluminum siding a huge weight saving over fiberglass or other composite? Thanks for tolerating my questions.

Dave Kay

Adventurer
Just picked up this little camper. It was a really good deal. There is some water damage inside that I will repair, and re-seal the roof. According to the spec sheet its 900lbs. Seems to ride not bad on my truck. The truck squats about 3" when I drop it on. And seems a little top heavy. I'm not really sure how it should ride as I have not been in a truck camper since I was a kid.

Oh ya, the truck has new OME HD rear springs. And I removed the old rusty toyota box and built a flat deck for it

View attachment 110512

This little camper has some history, its been all over North, Central, and South America

View attachment 110582

DUDE---- THAT'S a sweet little camper there, just my style! Had something very similar several years back and it had some dry-rot water leaks that I repaired and resealed the exterior sheet metal skin all the way around, and some other small re-hab details. Then I added few plugs for DC12V on the interior, plus added exterior 110AC, plus a little upholstery work and it was the little best camper I ever owned, solid as a rock... so sad I had to sell it, BUT--- looking for another just like it again! Good luck to ya' and post some pics of your camper re-hab if you can! CIAO~!

Stan@FourWheel

Explorer
Hello redthies

We are just following our long held concept of building our campers around a "durability & utility" concept.

Light weight for the size, narrow camper body compared to most cabover campers, and durable (welded aluminum frame).

I agree on the side window placement.

We would like to move those side windows up, but our current framing doesn't allow for it.

Many of the older cabover style campers, or the less expensive campers on the market today, are built with a wood frame construction (stapled & glued together).

Our frame is beefy to say the least.

Unless you looks at the higher quality cabover campers, you won't find many manufactures that will show you the camper frame.

Our campers are not perfect, and won't appeal to everyone, but they sometimes can be a good choice for the customer that is a minimalist at heart.

Stan, while I appreciate the need to keep lowers similar to streamline production, does it not make more sense to move the main windows up so you can see out of them? I have owned hard side and pop-up campers, and have never understood the rational behind putting huge windows behind seat cushions as most pop-up builders do. Is the aluminum siding a huge weight saving over fiberglass or other composite? Thanks for tolerating my questions.

Attachments

• hard top frame 3.JPG
    hard top frame 3.JPG
    173.1 KB · Views: 265
  • hard top frame 1.JPG
    hard top frame 1.JPG
    167.7 KB · Views: 263
  • hard top frame 2.JPG
    hard top frame 2.JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I like the pics Stan! It is as I guessed, a standard Hawk frame with hard top upper attached. That only makes sense from a manufacturing standpoint. As soon as I get a spare truckload of cash, I will be looking at your pop-ups. I am always impressed with the amount of use and abuse they take. I currently have an Adventurer hard side which is also a welded aluminum frame with a foam and composite structure. It is great for the happiness of the wife, and very well built and equiped, but not really for offroad use. It does fine for fire roads and similar.

Always glad to see your new products!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94