Bug Out Vehicle

And how many ignored the evacuation recommendations and state of emergency declaration issued before landfall

You make this thread....interesting

Yep, My dad and I went down afterwards to rescue a cousin trapped in his house. Oh the dumb asses that stayed....

crazyeyez

Crazy EyeZ
And how many ignored the evacuation recommendations and state of emergency declaration issued before landfall

theres always ppl that will stay back. old example, the old guy that lived on the side of Mt St Helens. needlesstosay, he didnt live...

LACamper

Adventurer
We evac'd for Katrina. Then I came back and started handling insurance claims. The stories I heard were horrifying.

A few thoughts:
Traffic was horrible. The number of broken down cars... cars out of gas also. Make sure your car is mechanically ready to go. Extra gas is essential. There wasn't a gas station open for 200 miles. After the storm was worse. Gas was being rationed. Being able to jump a curb to get around a stalled car was handy.
Keep the tools accessible. Don't bury them under stuff.

Things fall off other people's trucks. There was a lot of road debris on the way out. After was worse. I went to check out my damaged home after the storm and on the way back to MS I dodged a dresser in the left lane of I59. I ended up scraping the drivers side on a guard rail... another night during the renovations while driving back in a pitch black deserted section there was a black fridge someone dropped in the right lane of I10. That could have killed someone. Slow down. Be careful.

Road food was a good call on my wife's part. Not having to get off the road was nice. It took 10 hours to get from N.O. to Jackson, MS. That's usually at most a 3 hour drive.

Communications: cell phones went down before the storm even hit. During evac I couldn't call my wife in the car in front of me. CB's are a good idea. Next time we're leaving my wife's car though.

Firearms. Keep them handy if you can (some states have some stupid gun laws...). People stranded both on the road and wherever you are going are desperate and might do something stupid. If you bug in law enforcement and medical will not be readily available. Disasters tend to bring out the worst in people. High water tends to bring out critters also. I saw a pig on the interstate on the way back that had to be 450lbs. Snakes and rats were common. Raccoons were out in force. Feral dogs were a problem also.

Unfortunately, the biggest problem with Katrina were the people that weren't prepared for it. They made the rest of us look like fools. When a cat 5 hurricane is coming you leave. Period. The authorities tried to deal with the people that rode out the storm the best they could but they were overwhelmed.
You've all heard the stories (superdome, police, military, deaths, etc.) on the news, all I can say without writing a book is that the real events were worse. Be very sure of your situation before deciding to bug in. Also, be sure the local authorities are going to allow you to bug in. I heard of more than one case where people were forced to leave a safe situation to go to a hellhole of a shelter because the cops were told to enforce an evac order.

PS. One last thing: For 3 weeks, credit cards were worthless. Get some cash before a disaster occurs.

Last edited:
Thanks for the account LACamper.

That place was a hell hole afterwards... I'm on my cell phone, if I have a few minutes later, I'll try to recap my experiences down there after the storm...

Rattlesnake Joe

The future is not only not good...it is a nightmare for us citizens of the USA. Right now there is a wall being built along our border with Mexico. We are told it is to keep out illegal aliens. Ha what a joke. The US Government has allowed the Mexicans to flood in to our country deliberately. Why? To undermine our country, to destroy our National Sovernty. We are going bankrupt taking care of illegal aliens and fighting a war we have no business in. Drugs have reduced our country to a crime infested nation. Our kids are lost and paint themselves with tatoos and body piercings. We are living in the Last Days, am I crying in the wilderness. WAKE UP AMERICA and look around at what has become of our country. That wall is being built to keep you in, not to keep the aliens out. Look at the sky, we are being sprayed almost daily. Those white cloudy trails up there are chemicals that are debilatating us slowly. Condensation trails from jet aircraft disapear seconds after the jet flys by. These CHEM TRAILS spread out and linger filling the sky with whispy clouds full of Bromide, Barrium, tiny aluminum particles and blood products. The media is controlled by about 30 guys that are in cahoots with the secret societies that want to bring in the NEW WORLD ORDER. WAKE UP AMERICA

FellowTraveler

Explorer
The future is not only not good...it is a nightmare for us citizens of the USA. Right now there is a wall being built along our border with Mexico. We are told it is to keep out illegal aliens. Ha what a joke. The US Government has allowed the Mexicans to flood in to our country deliberately. Why? To undermine our country, to destroy our National Sovernty. We are going bankrupt taking care of illegal aliens and fighting a war we have no business in. Drugs have reduced our country to a crime infested nation. Our kids are lost and paint themselves with tatoos and body piercings. We are living in the Last Days, am I crying in the wilderness. WAKE UP AMERICA and look around at what has become of our country. That wall is being built to keep you in, not to keep the aliens out. Look at the sky, we are being sprayed almost daily. Those white cloudy trails up there are chemicals that are debilatating us slowly. Condensation trails from jet aircraft disapear seconds after the jet flys by. These CHEM TRAILS spread out and linger filling the sky with whispy clouds full of Bromide, Barrium, tiny aluminum particles and blood products. The media is controlled by about 30 guys that are in cahoots with the secret societies that want to bring in the NEW WORLD ORDER. WAKE UP AMERICA

The "New World Odor" is here and has divided individuals into two groups "predator class & the rest harnessed as economic slaves". Freedom & Liberty are but an illusion of those who have never been free or with the liberty to express themselves w/o permit and/or punishment.

:ylsmoke:"Conduct yourselves accordingly"!

Last edited:

scrubber3

Not really here
The "New World Odor" is here and has divided individuals into two groups "predator class & the rest harnessed as economic slaves". Freedom & Liberty are but an illusion of those who have never been free or with the liberty to express themselves w/o permit and/or punishment.

:ylsmoke:"Conduct yourselves accordingly"!

Lol. New world Odor.... Haha that's funny

Hey blood products in jet fuel? Now thats Bio fuel and it's renewable. WDITT
(why didn't I think of that) Seriously though Joe the other stuff I'd have to say is accurate but still arguable. When the truth gets mixed in with the B¥||&#¡+ the whole batch gets thrown out. People like a 100% pure products that's why McDonalds tell them it's all white meat chicken, and it's why Dasani can still sell tap water for the same price as a Coke. Just food for thought bud

TangoBlue

American Adventurist

:Wow1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles