Pro-Link Factor 55

joneseyyy

Explorer
Was wondering if you guys had seen these. I just ordered one to go with my Warn Vr-10000 and Warn Synthetic line to replace the hook that comes with it. Seems like the perfect option to run a thimble without having the replace your existing line. I am not affiliated in any way with the company.

http://www.factor55.com/#

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Just one example of a thimble you can use without replacing your winch rope, for a heck of a lot less. $10 or so.

Tube-Thimble.jpg

opie

Explorer
True, but that will go right through your fairlead.

A 3/8 tube thimble will go through the opening of a fair lead, but only if there is nothing attached to it. If you have a hook or shackle installed on the thimble, the intersection of the two will prevent being sucked through the fair lead.

210821_216386068390915_189795241049998_757597_3878566_o.jpg

You can step up to a larger tube thimble that will not fit through the fair lead. 1/2" usually does it. You can even get stainless for a fraction of the price of the Pro Link.

P1020160.jpg

But cool product non the less. Nice to see its made in the US as well.

Last edited:

Gator

Adventurer
I like the idea. My problem is I normally end up using the clevis on whatever is being recovered. Most of he situations for me end up where the towee has no where to hook to so I wrap a strap around a secure point, close the loop using the clevis, then attach my winch hook to the clevis and begin to winch. I guess I could use another clevis and connect them, but I'm lazy hahaha
Lator....

fishEH

Explorer
The nice thing its a one time purchase that will last your lifetime and is easily transferred between winches/winchlines. Let's say you buy 3 winchlines over the course of your offroad lifetime. If you were to get the safety thimble on each lime the cost would exceed the cost of the ProLink. Safety Thimbles are also one trick ponies. Once its on its not coming off. The ProLink offers you more options in ny opinion.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I've never really looked closely at a "normal" safety thimble so I don't know why they are "one time use".

opie

Explorer
The nice thing its a one time purchase that will last your lifetime and is easily transferred between winches/winchlines. Let's say you buy 3 winchlines over the course of your offroad lifetime. If you were to get the safety thimble on each lime the cost would exceed the cost of the ProLink. Safety Thimbles are also one trick ponies. Once its on its not coming off. The ProLink offers you more options in ny opinion.

How is a safety thimble, or any thimble, not free to be removed from a line?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
The ProLink offers you more options in ny opinion.
Please elaborate.
From a rigging perspective I can't see any advantage to a safety thimble of any type, pro link or otherwise, over a quality shackle which costs a heck of a lot less.

The only advantages I can see for them is if you don't pay attention to what you're doing and are prone to sucking your cable too far in when spooling in your rope. Or if you like to spool it in so there's tension on it and don't want it connected to your recovery point on your bumper.

Quite honestly, even if I was in the market, I wouldn't buy one of the Pro Link because of their attitude of, "You people are too stupid to properly rig a recovery." as evidenced by this photo.

unsafe_weak_1-300x300.jpg

Any vendor that so blatantly tells me I'm an idiot doesn't get any business from me.
Admittedly, I guess, it could be the people at Pro Link were too stupid and their only solution to the above was to make their product.

Last edited:

fishEH

Explorer
I've never really looked closely at a "normal" safety thimble so I don't know why they are "one time use".
Maybe I'm wrong but for your average winch user I couldn't see any way to snake another line through the saftey thimble to reuse.

Eventhough

Explorer
Maybe I'm wrong but for your average winch user I couldn't see any way to snake another line through the saftey thimble to reuse.

For the average winch user then no, a safety-style thimble is not reusable per se with their capabilities. You can remove a safety-style thimble, or even a tube thimble, by undoing the splice and then resplicing the thimble on another line. That is fine as long as the thimble is in good shape.

opie

Explorer
For the average winch user then no, a safety-style thimble is not reusable per se with their capabilities. You can remove a safety-style thimble, or even a tube thimble, by undoing the splice and then resplicing the thimble on another line. That is fine as long as the thimble is in good shape.

The average winch user is one of the reasons synthetic is a viable alternative. With knowledge of the proper numbers, which are widely available, the average winch user is capable of splicing their own line. In the field.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles