The Perfect Brew........!

• Thread starter Scenic WonderRunner
  • Start date

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
well, something strange happened today. We stopped in a small convenience store in Cap Rouge, a suburb of Quebec City.

I walked in and I found myself walking in a labyrinth of coolers and shelfs full with all sort of beers, most of them I have never heard of.

Apparently they have the largest selection in Canada, over 700 different sort of beers right now!

That was amazing! I'm would drive the 7 hour drive just to go there, although I may have to take a detour though Montreal while I'm at it. That man certainly knows his beers though, and it's nice to see that he supports a lot of local brewers.

Hafwit

Adventurer
I enjoy reading this thread as I have seen some excellent recommendations. I am curious if there are any home brewers here and if so, other than bottling their beer, has anybody come up with a compact keg/CO2 system that is rugged enough for overland travel? I was thinking of putting together a 2 gallon soda keg for this purpose, but I'm curious what other people before me may have done.

Cheers,
Greg

Warn Industries

Supporting Vendor
I enjoy reading this thread as I have seen some excellent recommendations. I am curious if there are any home brewers here and if so, other than bottling their beer, has anybody come up with a compact keg/CO2 system that is rugged enough for overland travel? I was thinking of putting together a 2 gallon soda keg for this purpose, but I'm curious what other people before me may have done.

Cheers,
Greg

Homebrewer here, although never done any mobile stuff. (Just bottled my Old Ale last week.) If I had the room, I'd do forced carbonation and a kegerator. Until that happens, it's bottles.

Just an update on some of the better beers I've tried in the last month:

Rush River Winter (River Falls, WI)
A pleasant winter brew; nothing too fancy, but satisfying nonetheless.

O'so Hopdinger (Plover, WI)
A heavily hopped Midwestern take on an IPA. Hoppier than most Midwestern IPAs I've had.

New Glarus Wisconsin Belgian Red (New Glarus, WI)
An outstanding fruit beer brewed with a pound of Door County cherries. Truly amazing, only sold in WI. If you find a 750ml of it, buy it.

Summit Winter Ale (St. Paul, MN)
Another good standard winter beer; drinks more like a traditional German Dunkel

21st Amendment Brewing "Live Free or Die IPA" (San Francisco, CA)
Biscuity, well-balanced IPA in cans

Langunitas Holiday Leftovers Ale (Petaluma, CA)
Very rich, delicious American Strong Ale that is also balanced. Outstanding.

Double Mountain Gravitar (Hood River, OR)
Another fantastically rich seasonal IPA. Reminded me a bit of the beer above.

Block15 Pappy's Dark (Corvallis, OR)
Bourbon-aged dark beer with a great Bourbon flavor without being overly sweet, like many beers of this style. Shows off it's nose extremely well. Amazing

Uinta Wyld (Salt Lake City, UT)
A good bit of hops with almost a pine-like flavor. Crisp and refreshing.

OK, that's probably enough for now! :sombrero:

- Andy

Airmonger

Adventurer
It's and oldie but a goodie. If I can find Newcastle in a can or on draft it's great. I don't like the clear glass bottles however as they always taste light struck.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327102737.548983.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327102737.548983.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 10

Warn Industries

Supporting Vendor

Just saw this at the store yesterday; it sounds interesting. I'll have to give it a whirl.

On an unrelated note, from time to time you have a beer that is so good it's nearly mind blowing. Well, Saturday I had "Armored Fist Double CDA" from Boneyard Brewing in Bend, OR in conjunction with Chicago's Three Floyds Brewing. Holy smokes was it good. It's a Cascadian Dark, so it's both hoppy and roasty. One of the best beers I've had.

- Andy

Warn Industries

Supporting Vendor
Just returned from Easter Jeep Safari in Moab. Found a new excellent beer by Uinta Brewing called Dubhe Imperial Black IPA. It's 9.2% ABV, malty, hoppy, robust, and delicious. It was so good, I found a four-pack of it at my local bottle shop last night.

- Andy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles