The TARDIS - A Four Wheel Camper Build

chvy39z

Observer
No stealth with a set of these puppy's hangin out for sure. I had to remove the hitch anyway because I am adding a second fuel tank to my Tundra and needed the hitch temporarily out of the way. Major undertaking but it will be real nice having 52 gallons of fuel on board and redundant fuel pumps. It requires moving exhaust, moving passenger side shock and tower, cutting and rebuilding a cross member, cutting hole in passenger side quarter panel,so it is not for the feint of heart.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Started cutting (can I call it milling?) the aluminum for mounting the AT holders. I am using 1x1 square tubing, plenty strong as I can hang off it with no problems. No pictures yet, but progress is being made on the mounts. Stay tuned....

Thanks to Ted/Magellan over on WTW for this idea.

gallery_2_113_38123.jpg

Here is the write up on the rear mounted jerry can holder. Link

And the Adventure Trailers aluminum jerry can holder. Link (This thing is great, very impressed with this item.)

261925315_eRxEG-M.jpg

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Started cutting (can I call it milling?) the aluminum for mounting the AT holders. I am using 1x1 square tubing, plenty strong as I can hang off it with no problems. No pictures yet, but progress is being made on the mounts. Stay tuned....

Was able to do a little more work on the mounts today. All four are attached to the camper, a little more work and I can take them off and clean them up before final install.

img0685gf.jpg
img0686vd.jpg

img0687rs.jpg
img0688ow.jpg

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
But those are so far aft of the center of gravity! ;)
I kind of like the rotopax mounts from what I've seen. Minimal weight by themselves and they don't protrude much, so they wouldn't interfere as much with mounting a bike or something.
I know you've spent a lot of time planning things out, so what made you choose the AT fuel cans?

Overland Hadley

on a journey
But those are so far aft of the center of gravity! ;)

Okay, you caught me. ;)

I kind of like the rotopax mounts from what I've seen. Minimal weight by themselves and they don't protrude much, so they wouldn't interfere as much with mounting a bike or something.

For some reason I do not really like the RotoPax cans, I can not put my finger on exactly why. I also have plans for the area under the cabover, so I could not mount Roto's under there.

I know you've spent a lot of time planning things out, so what made you choose the AT fuel cans?

I like that I can mount them to the wood bottom of the camper, instead of mounting them to the frame. Also, maybe more importantly, I trust my NATO jerry cans. They have proved to be trustworthy carrying explosive gas.

I will seldom be carrying fuel in the jerry cans. But I have found that with the Gen2 Tacoma it is a must to have the capacity to carry an extra 5-10 gallons of fuel. So on the rare occasion that they are used the fuel would be emptied into the trucks tank within a day or two.

teleturns

Adventurer
Did you install some type of plate for the bolts to go through on the inside of the camper? Looks great...I really like this idea instead of bolting to the back wall.

WASURF63

Adventurer
>>>Also, maybe more importantly, I trust my NATO jerry cans. They have proved to be trustworthy carrying explosive gas.<<<

x2 on that, + the AT "fuel can holders" are lockable.

>>>I will seldom be carrying fuel in the jerry cans. But I have found that with the Gen2 Tacoma it is a must to have the capacity to carry an extra 5-10 gallons of fuel. So on the rare occasion that they are used the fuel would be emptied into the trucks tank within a day or two.<<<

Have you already considered using a Super Siphon > http://www.expeditionexchange.com/supersiphon/ to empty your fuel cans into the main tank? With your mounting position of the cans/holders it should work pretty well. I've used this in combo with the AT MFC Holders and Scepters, mounted on different rigs and locations above the fuel filler door, with good results for a few years now. My .02

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Did you install some type of plate for the bolts to go through on the inside of the camper? Looks great...I really like this idea instead of bolting to the back wall.

At this point I have t-nuts because I wanted a smooth surface on the interior bench. But I am wondering if I really should put a plate on the inside, it would be much more secure. The t-nuts are strong enough with a static load, but I am worried about the dynamic weight of a full jerry can on a rough road. Probably should put plates in.

Thoughts?

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Have you already considered using a Super Siphon > http://www.expeditionexchange.com/supersiphon/ to empty your fuel cans into the main tank? With your mounting position of the cans/holders it should work pretty well. I've used this in combo with the AT MFC Holders and Scepters, mounted on different rigs and locations above the fuel filler door, with good results for a few years now. My .02

Love the Super Siphon, it is a great product.

The only reason I end up pouring the fuel in is because I have not figured out a good way to carry the siphon after using it. I do not like having the tube with gas drops and residue hanging around, as it is almost imposable to get the inside of the hose to dry out in a short time. So I have gone back to using a spout as it dries completely before I store it.

teleturns

Adventurer
At this point I have t-nuts because I wanted a smooth surface on the interior bench. But I am wondering if I really should put a plate on the inside, it would be much more secure. The t-nuts are strong enough with a static load, but I am worried about the dynamic weight of a full jerry can on a rough road. Probably should put plates in.

Thoughts?

The t-nuts I'm sure would never fail, but the wood may be an issue over time......I would plate it.

It is hard to tell by your pictures, but I would consider having a metal screw or bolt/nutsert go through the aluminum bars into the aluminum frame of the camper. I would be worried about the bouncing of the truck causing the full jerry can to rip the wood from the camper frame. Just a thought......and I really like the idea of the bars underneath.

DesertBoater

Adventurer
I'm not sure where the differences in material would fall with regards to your weight preferences, but you could probably use a piece of aluminum plate or a series of aluminum bars to keep the bench surface as smooth as possible...It would take more work, but if you have a welder (or friend with a welder, you could weld sections of the bolts directly to the plate, thus further reducing the thickness by taking the t-nuts out of the equation. Wood would probably also work...just heavier and thicker.

Cheers,
West

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Love the Super Siphon, it is a great product.

I do not like having the tube with gas drops and residue hanging around, as it is almost imposable to get the inside of the hose to dry out in a short time. So I have gone back to using a spout as it dries completely before I store it.

A good way to dry out your siphon hose after use is to swing it in a circular motion (Think cowboy and lariat) either over your head or parallel to your body for a few revolutions. its amazing how little effort it takes to dry it out that way. I still wouldn't store it inside due to the odor, but it does takes care of the moisture.

AeroNautiCal

Explorer
I'd definitely use plates to dissipate the load/stresses of those cans/carriers.

As much as I like t-nuts, I just wouldn't feel confident that they could take what the vehicle/terrain can give.

Oni

Adventurer
Boy, it's coming along nicely!!!

Nice to actually see it in progress! Gives me tons of ideas for when I finally get mine!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles