The TARDIS - A Four Wheel Camper Build

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Installed some coat hooks on the port (drivers) side.

img1515d.jpg

img1516z.jpg

L57

Great thread, thanks! What rear hitch steps are you using? Those are the best I have seen. I am picking up my Finch in the beginning of May in Denver on the way to Expo. Trying to find steps before hand.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Hitch Step

Great thread, thanks! What rear hitch steps are you using? Those are the best I have seen. I am picking up my Finch in the beginning of May in Denver on the way to Expo. Trying to find steps before hand.

It is by Tentrax. They make ''unlimited off road trailers'' and one of their accessories is this hitch step. There is really no info on their website, but here is where it is listed, third down. http://www.tentrax.com/accessories/accessories.html

step2.jpg

These are expensive steps, yup $255. I was able to get mine used for about half that, still expensive though. But it is solid and lightweight and that fits the bill.

Given their cost I will be fitting a storage space for transit inside the camper, stay tuned.

Last edited:

L57

Thank you for sharing the web site. Great products especially when trying to cut weight out of the rig--this has been my greatest challenge and where the personal builders are invaluable. Will continue to watch your FWC come together and X2's great work. I have followed Exped Portal for a long time giving me the input for the order. I ended up ordering more inside the camper to allow for a followon extensive 2-month trip north after the EXPO.

chvy39z

Observer
Speaking of weight reduction I just pulled the hitch assembly off of my 2000 Tundra. That thing must weigh 70 lbs. I wont be using it with my Hawk on board.I am using a set of Torklift Glow Steps (3 steps) that someone from another site told me about.They cost $176 at Panther RV and weigh just 14lbs.IMG_2681.jpg

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Speaking of weight reduction I just pulled the hitch assembly off of my 2000 Tundra. That thing must weigh 70 lbs. I wont be using it with my Hawk on board.

Oh man, I have been thinking about doing the same. That weight is the same as a spare tire, and it is aft of the rear axel. Humph! :mad:

Okay, main reason not to remove the hitch is that it is a good recovery/towing point. Is there another point in the rear I could use for emergency recovery? Also, it just feels wrong to have a truck without a hitch, but that is a personal thing. And maybe I could get over that....

Thoughts?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior