Nissan Patrol Y61 buildup

itchyvet

Have to comment on the rear plastic bumpers.
I own a Y61 TD Intercooled 2.8 liter 6 cylinder Patrol here in Australia, and the first thing I noticed was the rear bumpers on your car don't have the built in tail light/indicators that ours have here.
They are a regular pain in the Butt, especially when doing river crossings as the water pressure just pops them straight out, requiring pushing back in after crossings.
Also our lights attched to the body are not electricaly connect, just dummy empty lights.
Something to do with our Idiot regulations, apparently the spare wheel is supposed to prevent others seeing the lights when they're on, DUH, so Nissan compromised by fitting lights in the plastic bumper.
Needless to say, many owners have wired up the dummy lights anyway, so they work as they should.

jpvm

Explorer
Yes you're right, have seen the European and the Australian versions of the Y61 and they all bring the rear taillights in the lower bumper. Our here are the japanese export version and they have the regular rear taillights. Many guys rewire the upper ones and eliminate the lower bumper lights, there are some examples in the french Patrol GR forum...

skibum315

Explorer
Loving this truck ... really wish we could get these Y61s (or even the older Y60s) here in the US. Ah well, I guess I'll just have to wait until I can import one. At any rate, great truck and wonderful pictures. Thanks for sharing them.

jpvm

Explorer
Loving this truck ... really wish we could get these Y61s (or even the older Y60s) here in the US. Ah well, I guess I'll just have to wait until I can import one. At any rate, great truck and wonderful pictures. Thanks for sharing them.

Thanks a lot man for readin'

Shanfari

DhofarX.com
What a wonderful country! Liked the idea of back side of the tires as I hate white letters on them! I'm ordering 35" Cooper STT's, but still have 32" Cooper STT's too for now.

I'm planning to buy another 2005-2009 Y61 next to my 1997 Y60:

6098325449_4c95df00c1_b.jpg

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/75601-My-Arabian-Nissan-Patrol-1997-Y60-(GQ)

Warm greetings to you :)

Last edited:

jpvm

Explorer
Hey "brother" , yes I also hate white letters on tires .... blackwall gives a cleaner look.

That picture of yours is wonderful , what green saturated landscape, where is that ?

Shanfari

DhofarX.com
Hey "brother" , yes I also hate white letters on tires .... blackwall gives a cleaner look.

That picture of yours is wonderful , what green saturated landscape, where is that ?

Somewhere you won't expect:

oman-location-map.jpg

in Salalah, Dhofar, Oman, Arabian Peninsula

_47265187_oman_dhofar_0802_10.gif

But it's during monsoon season, known as "Khareef" locally.

80 km to the north of that scenery is the deadly Rub' Al Khali "Empty Qaurter" desert.

You may visit my build up page for more photos:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/75601-My-Arabian-Nissan-Patrol-1997-Y60-(GQ)

but here are more than 6500+ photos of the region:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shanfari/collections/72157622596692610/

I'll make a thread later about Dhofar in Asia's section :)

Best regards ^_^

Last edited:

mergen

Dear jpvm,

Very nice and inspiring rig. There are some vehicles which catches your eyes and do not let you to turn away. This is one of them.

Thanks for sharing.

jpvm

Explorer
Heyy Mergen , thanks a lot for your kind words !! The Y61 like the LC HDJ series are already classics with (this is my personal taste) an everglasting style. Mine is 2000 and already 12 years it still looks up to date, and believe it or not , its prices is still pretty high compared to any 4x4 in the market of those years. Not for anything these are still being used as UN peacecorps mobiles, ambulances in Africa, etc. etc.

DSC_0882.jpgDSC_0927.jpgDSC_0793.jpgDSC_0890.jpg

Dear jpvm,

Very nice and inspiring rig. There are some vehicles which catches your eyes and do not let you to turn away. This is one of them.

Thanks for sharing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles