jayrguidaben chevy silverado z71 build

jayrguidaben

Observer
Hi guys! I've been lurking around for the past weeks now. I really love this site! Anyways my name is jay from keansburg nj. I have a 2011 chevy silverado 1500 z71 crew cab bought it last sept of '11 and i want it to be an expedition vehicle. This build is going be a long process ...:coffee:
Here's my truck when i got it. I installed a bed rail cap, soft tonneau, lund nerf bars (so that my little boy can climb), egr bug deflector, 6k hid head and foglights, 9" monitor with dvd, and led's.

2011-12-14_11-00-10_962.jpg

December I installed hella 500 black magic inside the grille.

2011-12-17_11-45-25_739.jpg

2011-12-17_14-24-37_924.jpg

January i installed smitty light bar and 4 hella 500 in front.

IMAG0061.jpg

Febuary i replaced my shocks with bilsteins 5100 to level it up and plasti dip my grille, front, rear bumper and side emblems.

2012-03-21_16-31-41_574.jpg
2012-03-21_16-31-55_923.jpg
IMAG0231.jpg
IMAG0236.jpg
IMAG0197.jpg
IMAG0198.jpg

Im still learning a lot of things in 4x4 world...

My future mods:
Road armor stealth winch bumper
4 4" piaa lights for the bumper.
Winch
Rough country 3.5 lift kit
Nitto trail grappler 285/65/18
Rtt
Rack at the bed
Etc etc etc....:coffee::coffee:

What do you think guys? Thanks!

Last edited:

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Welcome to the site Jay, and thanks for posting some cool:Wow1:pics of your rig. My only concern is that your lights mounted on the front bumper can be easily damaged. Maybe a bush guard would be a good way of protecting them. Cheers, Chilli.:)

jayrguidaben

Observer
Thanks for the advise chilli! Yeah im going to change my front bumper to road armor soon. Just waiting for the tax return. Lol.. thanks for the welcome!

jayrguidaben

Observer
Update my 3" block and u bolts just arrive. Im going to try to install it tom morning. Reason for adding a block so that my rear wont sag when i have gears at the back of my bed. And going to take pictures before and after. 1st week of may im going to order my tires now.

IMAG0274.jpg
IMAG0273.jpg

Last edited:

SGTTOM

New Explorer
Super clean rig Jay! I really like the lights up front, with two behind. Can't wait to see the truck when you finish.

jayrguidaben

Observer
Just installed my 3" blocks. Took me 1 1/2 hours only. I have bilsteins 5100 all around and i raise the front on the highest level (top notch). Height difference front and back is 1 1/2. Love the stance now!
IMAG0277.jpg

Before
2011-12-14_11-00-10_962.jpg

After
IMAG0279.jpg

Last edited:

14x4

Observer
Good looking truck. I always like to see chrome replaced with black. haha

Febuary i replaced my shocks with bilsteins 5100 to level it up and plasti dip my grille, front, rear bumper and side emblems.

Are you saying those Bilsteins actually lifted the front end? How do they ride? Are they firmer or softer than OEM?

BurbanAZ

Explorer
truck looks great very clean. The shocks shouldnt have lifted ur front end if they are stiff enough to lift ur front end they would ride horrible. Definitely a noticeable difference in the before and after pics though big improvement.

watrboy

Observer
2011 Chevy Crew

I have the same pickup and slowly building a traveler. I have to travel for work and use a pickup at the same time. I like the direction you are going. The tires will be interesting, not a huge selection in the 18's for LT. I did the Frontier Extreme Bumper. It is solid. I hit a deer with the previous truck with this bumper and won that battle.
Leveling kit and Timbren Overloads for the occasional load. The pickup drives nice and gets good mileage. I have a toolbox with extrication chains, tow rope, coveralls and gloves.
I would like to get a winch mount for the front, but the selection is slim.
I am going to Overland Expo next month to see if any other goodies will work.
Keep moving forward, I will get some pictures soon.

jayrguidaben

Observer
Good looking truck. I always like to see chrome replaced with black. haha

Are you saying those Bilsteins actually lifted the front end? How do they ride? Are they firmer or softer than OEM?

Yes it did lift the front end. There's to kind of bilsteins the hd i think and the 5100. The 5100 is adjustable you can lift your front end to 1.25, 1.77 and stock height. I put mine at 1.77 and and raise my front by 2". Dont know why... Lol

The ride is not stiff and not soft. Its hard to explain. But its night and day. It is more controlled on the bumps. Before on the trail its like ****** if you hit a bump and its like throwing you all over in side the cab. Now its like wow.. lol

I might delay on the tires first i might order yakima racks at the bed. I dont want to waste the tires because its only 10k on it.plus its an A/T now.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:

jayrguidaben

Observer
Instead of buying the hauler rack crossbars and yakima rack i just pull the trigger to buy tires. Its goodyear duratrac 275/70/18. It should be here on monday and ill post pics and review with those tires and if its going to rub.

SGTTOM

New Explorer
Good stuff, I really want to get some hauler racks for a RTT. Can't wait to see the tires and updated rig pics.

jayrguidaben

Observer
Well, it wasn't cheap but I sleep better at night now not having a rat's nest of wires running off the + battery terminal. Easy straight forward install but time consuming. Used 8ga wire, fused it with an 80amp fuse, so far have 5 things running off of it and room for 7 more. Hid for the headlights and 3 sets of hella fog lights. I am really happy with the quality of Blue Sea Systems and highly recommend it!
Things you need:
Blue sea st fuse blocks (5029)
IMAG0296.jpg

80amp fuse
IMAG0303.jpg

Inline fuse holder
IMAG0304.jpg

8ga wire
Before
IMAG0297.jpg

After
IMAG0298.jpg