Belly dragging no more - 2003 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Quadrasteer

Devin W

Observer
My 03 Chevy crewcab Q/S, 6Lt, auto, leather, 42K, lifted 6”, bumper with winch,4:10 gears, duel batteries, will be up for sale next month. What is the going price?? I love this truck but I need a small car now I'm in my 70's.

That's super low miles, Brian, so I imagine that if the truck is in good shape you could get decent money for it. The rest of the mods tend only to be valuable to a select few - like the group here, though it doesn't necessarily mean they'll bring additional money - so you might try posting it in the classifieds here. I bought mine a few years ago so I don't know the going rate.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Brian: do your research on what to ask Then list it on ebay with a reserve.
I sold several vehicles on ebay and got way more than I could have local.

I do live in the cheapskate Pittsburgh!

John G

Hi Devin,

I looked at both Westers and BlackBear and read a lot of reviews but don't have any data for comparison. A little bit of a long story as I bought the truck while still living in Australia - knew I was moving back soon so I had some time to find what I wanted. I was able to talk my Dad into driving all the way from Colorado to Ok to pick it up and store it for 5 months until I returned. In that time I was also successful at convincing my wife I should have a budget for mods since I bought a used truck - still not sure how I pulled that off but since I was a long ways away and impatient I ordered everything and had it waiting to be installed the day I arrived from OZ. Thus, I opted for the traditional tune from BlackBear.

Things I love - ability to run electric fans - I found the same supplier that makes them for GM - same that was on my mom’s Yukon - I think it was Dorman and can track down the part number it you’re interested. It fit just like OEM and after enabling the prongs on the ECM and installing the wiring harness from BB performance per their instructions they work just like it came from the factory. I also like the removal of the transmission torque management - I think I only did 80% but since these trucks have the 4L80E - it should not be an issue with reliability. It made the truck feel a world of difference better than an 05 Sierra I had in terms of throttle response. I didn't want to remove all of it simply because I was afraid the throttle would be too touchy when off-roading.

I'm still debating doing the autocal in the future, especially if I need to reprogram due to different tire sizes. I would change the tune to high octane at the same time or get a map for each for the autocal. It is currently only tuned for 87 octane now because I thought I would be driving it as my daily commuter but have since wised up and bought a fun little 92 Subaru svx for that - primarily due to all of the salt here.

If I had it to do over again I would've got a custom tune from the beginning set to the higher octane rating.I initially just wanted to get the banks ottomind programmer because I liked the ability to read codes but I couldn't trade that for the ability to run electric fans and have the transmission torque management reduced.

The truck runs great but I only drove it once for 10 miles before doing all of the mods so I can't really compare.

The monster exhaust was also an issue - Banks wouldn't warranty it because they hadn't fit one to a quadrasteer even though it is the same for a normal 1500HD - CCSB. It fit fine but has a massive tip - looks like a diesel. Sounds great and would look fine lifted but it is a bit over whelming at stock height. The headers fit great as well but I would almost guarantee that you will find some broken exhaust manifolds when taking the stock ones off so you need to plan accordingly. I had two on mine and of course the rear one on the driver’s side was one of them that had to be drilled out. The only two other people I know with 1500HD also had at least one broken bolt.

One of the best mods is definitely the brakes - pricey but well worth it. Just in case you ever are interested the 1500HD with quadrasteer take the following if going all out with EBC sport rotors and yellowstuff pads:
Front Rotor GD7094 - Pads DP41305R
Rear Rotor - GD7374 -disregard the internet & EBC catalog - these are 13" diameter like the stock ones (not 12.8)- Pads DP41304R (not the 41635 most sites will list)

Had these on my Disco II (albeit green stuff pads) and loved them there as well.

Disco_RH.jpg

onelow1ton

Adventurer
Love the truck it looks great , the fenders up front would be nice . How do you like the soft cap I was going to get one then I got a deal on my fiberglass are cap I could not pass up?

Devin W

Observer
Hi Devin,

I looked at both Westers and BlackBear and read a lot of reviews but don't have any data for comparison. A little bit of a long story as I bought the truck while still living in Australia - knew I was moving back soon so I had some time to find what I wanted. I was able to talk my Dad into driving all the way from Colorado to Ok to pick it up and store it for 5 months until I returned. In that time I was also successful at convincing my wife I should have a budget for mods since I bought a used truck - still not sure how I pulled that off but since I was a long ways away and impatient I ordered everything and had it waiting to be installed the day I arrived from OZ. Thus, I opted for the traditional tune from BlackBear.

Things I love - ability to run electric fans - I found the same supplier that makes them for GM - same that was on my mom’s Yukon - I think it was Dorman and can track down the part number it you’re interested. It fit just like OEM and after enabling the prongs on the ECM and installing the wiring harness from BB performance per their instructions they work just like it came from the factory. I also like the removal of the transmission torque management - I think I only did 80% but since these trucks have the 4L80E - it should not be an issue with reliability. It made the truck feel a world of difference better than an 05 Sierra I had in terms of throttle response. I didn't want to remove all of it simply because I was afraid the throttle would be too touchy when off-roading.

I'm still debating doing the autocal in the future, especially if I need to reprogram due to different tire sizes. I would change the tune to high octane at the same time or get a map for each for the autocal. It is currently only tuned for 87 octane now because I thought I would be driving it as my daily commuter but have since wised up and bought a fun little 92 Subaru svx for that - primarily due to all of the salt here.

If I had it to do over again I would've got a custom tune from the beginning set to the higher octane rating.I initially just wanted to get the banks ottomind programmer because I liked the ability to read codes but I couldn't trade that for the ability to run electric fans and have the transmission torque management reduced.

The truck runs great but I only drove it once for 10 miles before doing all of the mods so I can't really compare.

The monster exhaust was also an issue - Banks wouldn't warranty it because they hadn't fit one to a quadrasteer even though it is the same for a normal 1500HD - CCSB. It fit fine but has a massive tip - looks like a diesel. Sounds great and would look fine lifted but it is a bit over whelming at stock height. The headers fit great as well but I would almost guarantee that you will find some broken exhaust manifolds when taking the stock ones off so you need to plan accordingly. I had two on mine and of course the rear one on the driver’s side was one of them that had to be drilled out. The only two other people I know with 1500HD also had at least one broken bolt.

One of the best mods is definitely the brakes - pricey but well worth it. Just in case you ever are interested the 1500HD with quadrasteer take the following if going all out with EBC sport rotors and yellowstuff pads:
Front Rotor GD7094 - Pads DP41305R
Rear Rotor - GD7374 -disregard the internet & EBC catalog - these are 13" diameter like the stock ones (not 12.8)- Pads DP41304R (not the 41635 most sites will list)

Had these on my Disco II (albeit green stuff pads) and loved them there as well.

View attachment 87905

John - I really appreciate the detailed response. A ton of good info particularly about the fan compatibility and brake details, too. We have really similar taste in vehicles. Here is one of my prior rides:
DSC01551-1.jpg

Devin W

Observer
Love the truck it looks great , the fenders up front would be nice . How do you like the soft cap I was going to get one then I got a deal on my fiberglass are cap I could not pass up?

Thanks 1ton. I definitely like the versatility of the soft top and the fact that I'm always only a few minutes from true truck bed utility. The other benefit is what I can stuff in there as shown in post #19. I wouldn't be able to do that with a rigid cap. It doesn't have the security that your fiberglass cap does though. I do think that I'll put a locking tailgate handle on which would make it at least inconvenient for someone to access the bed. Keeps honest people honest I suppose...

Last edited:

John G

Devin,

Nice Disco, I wanted to lift mine but knew I would be selling it before long to move back to the states - Job relocation. I did love the TD5 diesel - wish we could get those here. The thing was unstoppable in the sand with the CDL locked in.

I did look through my records and found the part number for the fan - Dorman 620-652 - Amazon was the best deal - made more sense for $315 to buy new vs find one in a junk yard. GM did put these in a lot of trucks 05+ that had the 6.0L for a further boost in confidence. It fits just like it came from the factory but I do recall I need larger rubber grommets on the two bolts that hold it in place. I just happened to have them lying around though so no issues.

What is on you to do next list?

Devin W

Observer
Devin: You have all the cool toys!
Are both white rovers yours?
How did the disco handle lifted?

Mark - they were at one point. The fact is I could only afford one at a time. That pic of the Discovery is right before I sold it as I had just purchased the Defender 110. The Discovery did well lifted. It felt planted and tracked well. The coils were nice and smooth.

Devin,

Nice Disco, I wanted to lift mine but knew I would be selling it before long to move back to the states - Job relocation. I did love the TD5 diesel - wish we could get those here. The thing was unstoppable in the sand with the CDL locked in.

I did look through my records and found the part number for the fan - Dorman 620-652 - Amazon was the best deal - made more sense for $315 to buy new vs find one in a junk yard. GM did put these in a lot of trucks 05+ that had the 6.0L for a further boost in confidence. It fits just like it came from the factory but I do recall I need larger rubber grommets on the two bolts that hold it in place. I just happened to have them lying around though so no issues.

What is on you to do next list?

John - you had something way better than a lift and what most Rover enthusiasts lust after: the TD5. I had that Disco and 2 Defenders and they were all amazing in their ability to get from point A to B.

Thanks for the fan numbers, too. I like the factory type fit. Is the main advantage just getting the fan off of the motor to free up some efficiency?

Next on my list is the tune, I'd like to do some fiberglass (flared) front fenders to get the front tires covered. I love the front end track width, but don't like the tires sticking out, throwing debris everywhere. I plan on having some frame mount, tubular sliders that follow the body a bit more closely instead of the sill mounted nerfs I have now. I am also going to have a more stout light bar made that will be sturdy enough to actually be a brush/push bar, too - vs. just a light holder. Thinking about CAI. I need to get some lights in the rear bumper and I'm going to have a reciever made for the front that will allow me to use a winch on a tray in the front or rear - I'll have wires run to both ends. Oh yeah, I want to add a second battery...and the list goes on and on...

John G

Yes the main benefit is the effciency gain - cleans up the engine bay a bit as well.

Have you thought about a roof rack for mounting your spare tire and addtional lights?

Devin W

Observer
Yes the main benefit is the effciency gain - cleans up the engine bay a bit as well.

Have you thought about a roof rack for mounting your spare tire and addtional lights?

I have thought about a roof rack just for stowing a few extra things that are either too dirty/smelly or flammable to put inside with other gear. I really liked having that ability with my other vehicles and I like the look. I found that while I love the look of roof mounted lights I honestly didn't use them alot and they can create glare that can be pretty fatiguing. In reality I think the a-pillar mounted lights that you see on a lot of Jeeps are probably a better option.

This is the roof rack I like. I think I would want to get a factory rack rail that goes on a Yukon or something and have that mounted to the roof permanently and then get the appropriate feet instead of mounting it directly to the roof with the metal feet. That way if you take it off it doesn't leave holes to be filled.

RedAddiction_7.jpgRedAddiction_8.jpg

I would like to put the spare lower. I like the rear bumper swing away stuff, but then I can't run with the tailgate open which is important if I have my dirtbike in the bed. One option I've seen, though, is the Tiregate pre-runner which might sill allow for room on either side of the spare for the rear tire of the moto to hang out. The tailgate can also be reversed where the majority of the tire is in-board of the bed, too. If I used something like this, though, when I have the canopy up, I'd need some sort of fabric tailgate to keep the bed sealed.

pr_05.jpgpr2.jpg

I'm open to feedback / suggestions / ideas on either though.

Getting ready to order a tune, otherwise, I just mounted a rear view license plate cam yesterday that displays through my stereo / nav screen. With the truck lifted, there's a major blind spot directly behind the truck when you're backing up. If it's a car, no big deal - insurance can fix that, but, living in a neighborhood with kids around, I want to be sure there is nothing behind me when I back out of my driveway...

John G

That was exactly the roof rack picture that I was thinking about - The tailgate option seems like the best compromise with the exception of maybe making a bracket to just stand it up in one of the corners of the bed. How many dirtbikes are you hauling, I just kick mine to the side and close the tailgate but anymore than one and that is a problem. Makes me really miss my 8 ft bed.

Pritchet_TH.jpg

What tune did you decide on. I'm intrigued to see how your build goes as I'm at a bit of a standstill at the moment as I'm trying to upgrade from a 99 triumph tiger to a 10' or newer 1200 GSA.

Devin W

Observer
I generally carry just my bike or mine and my daughter's. On occasion I'll have a friend's bike. I do have other options than the bed as I have a trailer, a moto-jack rack for single bike duty, and a joe hauler for two bikes. Those are convenient for keeping the bed free, but sometimes it's nice to be as compact as possible if you're venturing off the pavement.

IMG_3057.jpg

I decided on the BB tune. Nothing too scientific other than finding about equal feedback between that one and the Wester's and the BB is quite a bit more affordable. I just did the standard tune. I did order a CAI from a friend yesterday but aside from maybe installing a higher stall speed torque converter at some point (and fans), I don't know that I'll do many other performance upgrades so that tune should be sufficient for me. Really I just need to make sure everything is re-calibrated for the bigger tires. I decided that next up will definitely be steering upgrades (too many horror stories about tie-rods failing, especially with big tires). I'll probably go with the Cognito HD heim-jointed tie rods and the pitman/idler supports. And then the other is the fiberglass fenders as I can already see that the tires just don't have enough coverage. I think that will bust the bank for awhile!

Good luck with the bike upgrade. I had a KTM 990 that I ended up selling a couple years ago. I just didn't ride it enough and it was a spendy bike to have it sit. My legs aren't long enough to use it like a dirt bike so I used my smaller bike off-road and on the street I would always ride my Duc. I did do a few long trips on it fully loaded and it was an amazing bike, though. I could never ride a GSA because they're even taller!

IMG_0677.jpg

John G

RRRRRR - now I really want to buy the Cognito UCA leveling kit with Bilstein 5100's all around.

Nice KTM buy the way -

shellb

Adventurer
I have thought about a roof rack just for stowing a few extra things that are either too dirty/smelly or flammable to put inside with other gear. I really liked having that ability with my other vehicles and I like the look. I found that while I love the look of roof mounted lights I honestly didn't use them alot and they can create glare that can be pretty fatiguing. In reality I think the a-pillar mounted lights that you see on a lot of Jeeps are probably a better option.

This is the roof rack I like. I think I would want to get a factory rack rail that goes on a Yukon or something and have that mounted to the roof permanently and then get the appropriate feet instead of mounting it directly to the roof with the metal feet. That way if you take it off it doesn't leave holes to be filled.

I would like to put the spare lower. I like the rear bumper swing away stuff, but then I can't run with the tailgate open which is important if I have my dirtbike in the bed. One option I've seen, though, is the Tiregate pre-runner which might sill allow for room on either side of the spare for the rear tire of the moto to hang out. The tailgate can also be reversed where the majority of the tire is in-board of the bed, too. If I used something like this, though, when I have the canopy up, I'd need some sort of fabric tailgate to keep the bed sealed.

I'm open to feedback / suggestions / ideas on either though.

Getting ready to order a tune, otherwise, I just mounted a rear view license plate cam yesterday that displays through my stereo / nav screen. With the truck lifted, there's a major blind spot directly behind the truck when you're backing up. If it's a car, no big deal - insurance can fix that, but, living in a neighborhood with kids around, I want to be sure there is nothing behind me when I back out of my driveway...

Hey Devin - can you tell me who makes that roof rack? Nice truck btw!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz