The TARDIS - A Four Wheel Camper Build

Overland Hadley

on a journey
You might want to check these guys out for water filters. http://generalecology.com/

Thanks for the link to the water filters, those are impressive and expensive filters.

But my main intent is to remove the built in tank, rebuild the kitchen counter/cabinetry and have the sink faucet pipe into a 5 gallon jerry can style water container that I can then move where I want it more easily. As well as just drag it into a Whole Foods and fill it up without a hose.

That is what I plan on doing, having a 20l jerry can as my water tank. That way I can carry it into a visitor center (etc) to fill with water. I also have the 40l footwell tank inside the cab of the truck, but that can be filled with a couple trips with the jerry can.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Okay, I have a lot of yays for the screen door.

Any nays? (Like because it is a hassle to use the door with the screen door attached, or things will slide (while moving) into the screen and quickly break it?

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Lightweight Load Bars

Here is one of those simple solutions that is so great, and you wish you had thought of it yourself.

ski3pin over on WTW came up with this.

I wanted to go with 66" cross bars. I picked up (physically) a set at REI and was surprised at the weight. These pipes are heavy, and expensive at $80 retail. I found I could get aluminum tubing of the same dimensions, 1.125" OD and .875" ID for about half the price and weigh approximate a third of the stock pipes.

gallery_1902_252_24071.jpg

Perfect! I am going to have the Thule tracks installed, but I did not want a rack up there all the time as the added weight of the crossbars is substantial. If I can cut the weight by two thirds then I can see keeping a set of bars mounted on the roof. Now, if I can find some square aluminum tubing to match the Thule bars I can stick with my preferred brand, and reuse the mounts from the topper. Cool!

Last edited:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
The cabinets need to be mounted with metal corner (L) brackets. (Thanks goodtimes)

The normal steel ones from the local hardware store will not do. So I found these aluminum corner brackets with nice finished edges! Link

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles