Photos: Caleb Knight and Jeremy Knight. Story editing: Nik Schulz
This is an multi-part post written by Jeremy Knight about his 2013 adventure on the Rubicon as a first-timer.
Rookies on the Rubicon, Part 4
Buck Island Lake to Martini Tree
via West County Explorers Club: So far we had stuck to the plan we had agreed to before the trip:
- We will always discuss the safest way to accomplish the task and not act impulsively.
- We will walk ANY questionable trail and discuss the best line.
- We will stack rocks, discuss other recovery options—and rehearse them prior to execution—whenever there is a question of vehicle damage.
- We will bypass riskier sections whenever possible.
- We will not succumb to pressure, personal or outside.
- We will not rush the trail.
This is our first time on the Rubicon we can come back later and take the toughest line, but only if we are successful this time—there is no honor in stupid luck!
Preserve our people—protect our rigs. Good driving makes all the difference, and good driving is the result of good planning, and executing that plan.
This will be fun, we will take our time and the outcome will be awesome!