Another Earthroamer-type variation

VikingVince

Explorer
When I saw this in Motorhome magazine, I initially thought it was a pic of an Earthroamer.
270_exterior_8.jpg

New model this year from Host RV http://www.hostcampers.com/subs/motorcoaches/motorcoach_270_mp.html

Built on the Ford 550 Super Duty Crew Cab 4x4 (just like ER), 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel, all the amenties (pics look nice, don't know about quality), 40gal fuel (can probably order larger tank), 60 gal water, dual real wheels, however
MSRP: $150,640.
With all options: $194,800.

Last edited:

JeepinBear

Explorer
Cool

Michelle and I walked through one of these on a lot in Boise a few months back. We liked it, but they don't have as high of quality as our Winnie.

However, our Winnie is not ExPo'ish as it is not a 4WD.

This would definitely better suit the ExPo lifestyle!!:imagesCADZQMBJ:

CapelConcepts

Observer
It's nice to see more options come into this market. Both this and the ER are way over priced for what they are, so hopefully the competition will promote some price drops. Either way, as consumers, the more options the better!

jayshapiro

Adventurer
Host as an option

We considered the HOST campers when we were originally shopping for the EcoRoamer options. I spoke with Dave Hogue personally, he was very nice and not at all arogant. (I can't say I had the same experience with Bill Swails) Overall I was pretty impressed with their products.

Three problems prevented us from going further with Host:
1 - At the time, only the bigger units were available, which had a horrible departure angle. These '270' units look SLIGHTLY better, but the best choice would probably still be their big slide in unit with the bed tent on the back.

2 - The camper is hard mounted to the frame and their method of construction would likely not hold up well to any flexing.

3 - I wouldn't touch the Ford diesel engines (especially the older 6.0L which was on offer when we started the project) - we specifically wanted a CAT diesel engine for global serviceability, but Dave wasn't willing to mount his camper on a F-650, and a Slide-in on the pick-up bed of a F-650 would have been WAY too high...

Nice units though, and for those looking to just explore off the highway down dirt roads and across the ocassional beach, then I think this could be a great unit.

Cheers,
Jay.

762X39

Explorer
CapelConcepts said:
Both this and the ER are way over priced for what they are, so hopefully the competition will promote some price drops. Either way, as consumers, the more options the better!
Wow, it took less than 5 posts and already someone is whipping the ER for it's cost.

CapelConcepts

Observer
762X39 said:
Wow, it took less than 5 posts and already someone is whipping the ER for it's cost.

I didn' mean to whip on the ER. I'm just saying that, in my opinion, they are very expensive for what they are.

Octamog

Observer
VikingVince said:
I had an image of the unit in my OP, and then it disappeared...wonder why...I put it back in...we'll see if it stays.

The link is fine... either they don't allow hot-linking, they've blocked hot-linking from this site, or they're just not very proud of their camper:xxrotflma

:peepwall:

kcowyo

ExPo Original
I tried for you too Vince. It's not happening.

Pretty fancy ER type set up. Always nice to have a choice.

VikingVince

Explorer
I was primarily referring to the fact that it's a small motorhome (about the same length as ER) built on the 4x4 Ford 550 crew cab chassis...which, unlike most motorhomes, gives you the option of limited offroad choices like unimproved dirt road, beach, some snow conditions. Granted, ER would be more offroad capable but Host might even be willing to build it on the SRW chassis. Again, unlike most motorhomes, it's at least a step in the direction of more offroad capability. (like ER)

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
VikingVince said:
yup, you're right...it disappeared again...that's a new one for me

Some sites block hot-linking of their images because it bleeds off bandwidth and costs money. I'm guessing that is why the picture no longer show up, because when I go to the link it works fine.

By the way, interesting link Vince. I love the high-end expedition campers. I used the be the same way about boats, going to boat shows just to walk through the large boats. :)

18seeds

Explorer
I've been looking at these and I love it! For me i need 4x4 mostly for traveling in the snow and light offroad use. This would be perfect for me. The price is cheaper than an ER and it has a slide.

If i won the lottery i would probably buy an ER strictly based on they are in Colorado and I like to keep my $$$ in the state if possible. If i was buying on cost vs features i would seriously consider a host. Yes i know ER features outweigh the host but a cost benefit analysis can go either direction based on personal preference.

I'm really not the biggest fan of the powerstroke either.

jayshapiro

Adventurer
Make your own spec...

Just btw...

When I last spoke with HOST, Dave Hogue said they'd be willing to change the spec of any of the internal components (i.e. - all diesel appliances, etc) to whatever you specify. They won't change the actual shell, which is not of Earthroamer ruggedness or quality level, but you could build a semi-custom, semi-capable vehicle with some great living space.

Cheers,
Jay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online