Weighing my options for carrying extra fuel on an FJC

Kevin108

Explorer
I'd love to be able to carry a few gallons of fuel and have been looking at accessories to facilitate that. Please share any recommendations you might have. Below are my considerations so far, but these are certainly not the only options I'd entertain.

I've got a 5 gallon Scepter can already that I could use if I found the right mount.
436798.jpg

I keep seeing this setup, but it's always with a metal NATO-style can. I'm not against going back to a steel can, but if I can use what I have, it would be better.
meetgreet4.jpg

I've also not ruled out the possibility of adding a ladder, which may give me some additional mounting options. The Rotopax system is certainly interesting.
_MA_9150.png

The FJC ladders are typically in a different location, however.
18957-03132725-VZZNVJM7.jpg

Much of my roof rack is occupied by a RTT. The OEM rack curves, so I centered the tent on the apex so it would open flat and level. Moving it forwards or backwards a bit may still be an open though.
27E954D2-5900-46EA-BB50-E1108737648A.jpg

forty2

Adventurer
What about an auxiliary tank? I know a few exist for the FJC, Man-A-Fre is the only one I can come up with off the top of my head though. Not the cheapest solution but might be the most practical.

Kevin108

Explorer
The aux tanks have too many issues for me. Low capacity is all I need. 5 gallons if I use a Jerry, 4 if I go Rotopax.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Can a rotopax slide in between the RTT and your roof towards the rear? I don't know the thickness of a 4 gal. rotopax.

nater

Adventurer
Look at project snow leopard on fjc forums, he is getting ready to offer a subtank. Everything that guy does is amazing

BIGGUY

Adventurer
That's the best one I've seen yet, but $344 shipped for just the rack is way too much. That's before you even start adding in the Rotopax or their hardware. At that price, it should be with the tubing ends filled in and everything powder coated.

I have gleaned a lot of ideas from the things you guys have posted though. I may throw something together on my own.

Yep it's an expensive one. Here's what another guy did over on the FJ forum. He puts it up on top when needed and then pulls it off and stores it when not needed.

gastank.jpg

http://wkdfj.com/?page_id=2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles