What bike on the back of a camper?

mogcamper

I am currently thinking about putting a bike on the back of my Unimog based camper. This would be used for going into town to avoid parking / traffic difficulties as well as other short 'run about' type trips or even for getting to help if we got stuck. As we are driving the length of Africa we need something that can handle rough conditions. It will need to cope with 2 people but not much luggage. The final requirement is that it does not weigh too much as it will be carried most of the way!

So - what lightweight bike can take two people and cope with rough conditions? Suggestions please.

:roost:

Clutch

<---Pass
You have some different options over there, than we do in the States.

For short trips into town, I would go for something very basic, even a scooter perhaps, or something like this.

Small engine, fairly light weight, aircooled, cheap, should be bullet proof. I think I see passenger pegs on there.

http://www.yamaha-motor.co.uk/products/motorcycles/125cc/xt125R.jsp

2008-XT125R-action-01_prv_tcm46-208278.jpg

This maybe overkill for your needs?

http://www.yamaha-motor.co.uk/products/motorcycles/adventure/xt660z.jsp

2008-XT660Z-Tenere-action-11_prv_tcm46-209480.jpg

VikingVince

Explorer
I think your idea to have a small bike to get around local areas will serve you well...it's practical and fun. I have a Kawasaki KLR 250 (dual purpose) that I carry behind my Tacoma. I really enjoy setting up base camp and riding around the local area...both on and off road. My bike weighs 250 pounds and its weight rating is 330 pounds...it's perfectly fine for just me...but I think it would be a little too small for 2 people plus a little luggage as you have in mind. (depending on how much you and partner weigh!!)
I think a 400 dual purpose would suit your needs and, generally speaking, there is usually only about 40-50 pounds weight difference between a 250 and 400...and with the rig you have I don't think you'd notice the difference.

Another thing to consider, of course, is the type of rack you buy (or have made) to carry the bike. My receiver hitch mounted rack raises and lowers via a small hydraulic jack that is pumped by hand...makes loading and unloading alot easier...as opposed to the type where you push the bike up a narrow ramp. (which might not even be a possibility if the back of your rig is quite high)

Last edited:

mogcamper

Thanks for the responses.

Kermit: I like the idea of something small and simple but I am worried about the power as VikingVince mentions. I have only experience of on road biking without passenger so its really hard for me to judge the power needed. We are both about 160lbs and the luggage would just be a bit of shopping. I dont want to go fast or enter off-road competitions, just get around in bad conditions.

I am not convinced that a scooter would work due to the small wheels. Also how whould it handle when you stand up over rough ground? Unfortunately most off-road bikes are built for one person to ride extreme conditions.

As for a rack, I have planned a tail-lift type rack where a platform is raised on some rails just like small trucks. I have to lift the bike 4 foot from the ground so ramps are a bit risky :oops:

Any other ideas?

Clutch

<---Pass
Welcome to the forum, by the way.

Ahh, ok, I was thinking you wanted something to just pull off the camper and run into town.

VikingVince is spot on, you'll need more power then. How about a 600cc+ dual sport bike?

Maybe something like the Honda 650 Transalp? So if the Mog breaks, the two of you could go some disatnce on something like this, should be easy to maneuver in town.

You Euro guys get the coolest bikes...lucky:) You can probably go down the list of all manufactures of their 600cc+ daul sport bikes, and pick what you like, you can't go wrong, all of the bikes now a days are good. I think anything smaller than 600, would be annoying, with a passenger. I hope this helps.

The new 700...http://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/2008/XL700VTransalp/index.html

http://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/...salp&hidProductName=XL650V+Transalp#focusHere

prd_bike_black.gif

gallery_large_06.jpg

How much do want it to weigh?

KTM 640 too.

640adv1.jpg

Last edited:

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
The GVW of most motorbikes will provide you with the ability to carry two in a pinch. If it's a prescout/run to town to get supplies/emergency transport, full on wheelie power may not be necessary.

Something in the realm of a 250cc model would be nice. I know Honda made an NX250 a while back, and the European market likely has more. A 650 anything...Honda/yamaha would be nice for simplicity and price...would work just fine too.

-H-

Just remembered...Suzuki made a DR350 that would be absolutely perfect! And pretty cheap too!

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Check out ebay uk...there are several DR350s for under $1000 pounds...

IMHO maybe the perfect bike for what you want to do...:bowdown:

-H-

4x4 explorer

Observer
MogCamper, here's my 2 cents. I happen to be doing exactly what you'd like to do. I have a 1300L that I'm fabricating a camper body for. I too want to be able to ride two people. My choice is the KTM 640 which after looking at all the options seems the best fit (eg weight, track record, etc.). I initially thought about a platform, but mechanics and weight changed my mind. I will use a cable hoist to lift the bike. A framework bolted under the bike frame will support transporting the bike. That framework will fit into receivers on the rear of the camper. The receivers will be part of the rear camper body frame to support the weight of the KTM. The hoist will be intregrated into the upper rear brush guard with lighting and camera's. Good luck on your project.

Scott Brady

Founder
There are a couple of EarthRoamer owners that do that. One has a KLR on the back, the other a Honda 450 (sweet 450).

Colorado Ron

Explorer
Honestly a Honda Cub 90! Also Called a CT90 or a Trail 90. Dead reliable! Can get them with electric and kick start. Hi-Lo gear! Light enough you can pick up with one hand! Haul everything you need! Research them--I think youd be impressed what these amazing little machines can do!

1542253029_fe5b864c9a.jpg

Last edited:

Sleeping Dog

Adventurer
Honda Cub

Colorado Ron said:
Honestly a Honda Cub 90! Also Called a CT90 or a Trail 90. Dead reliable! Can get them with electric and kick start. Hi-Lo gear! Light enough you can pick up with one hand! Haul everything you need! Research them--I think youd be impressed what these amazing little machines can do!

1542253029_fe5b864c9a.jpg

**http%

Frankly I'd stick with something on the light side such as a 250 cc dual sport. If for what ever reason you feel you need a large dual sport, you may want to consider the Ural Patrol, two-wheel drive side car rig. You can fly ma once in awhile and have plenty of room for groceries.

Jim

travel dodge

Adventurer
XR 400 honda, I sold one a few years ago and miss it. It's sturdy, cheep with enough power to do what you want. You will need some rear foot pegs and a small rack for soft bags but will provide you with the perfect ride to run to town bike no matter what the terrain. It's oil cooled so it supper simple if work needs to be done

jkam

nomadic man
Like mentioned, I like the Suzuki DR 350 or 650 if you feel you need the added power or will be 2 up most of the time.

Simple, easy to work on and will provde many years of service. I've looked for a DR350 for my needs, to haul on my Lazy Daze motor home and haven't been able to locate one so I decided on the new 2008 Yamaha XT 250.
No 2 up for me, just a duffel bag on a rack and hit the trail or head to town for supplies.

I think in Europe it's called the Yamaha Tricker. Also consider anything with the Rotax engine, for example in the UK you can get CCM bikes. They had a dual sport and I rode in South America with a guy that had one. It was a great dependable bike though not really good for 2 up.

shahram

Adventurer
I've always liked the Yamaha TW200...

TW200_1.jpg

It's small, efficient, low to the ground (so your significant other, if she is of diminutive size, will have no problem riding it), and it's highly capable in very rough terrain. It's the perfect "lifeboat" for a camper that might get stuck or break down, and a good grocery getter. It won't win any enduro races, but it's almost guaranteed to finish.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles