Building My Overland Tacoma: Plans, Progress, Perplexions

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Synopsis: 2007 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab TRD, Old Man Emu and Dakar's, BFG AT TA KO 265/75/16, Leer 122 (with honeycomb roof, windoors, factory top tracks-for warranty, cargo net storage, sliding-removable front window, full lining), Thule rack system with box and basket, Farmtek basket floor, Shady Boy awning, custom sleeping platform and extension with drawer and hatch storage, Pelican Case and Go Box in cab storage, IPF 968 lights (rack and bumper mounted), PETT hard sided toilet system, Icee-Kool cooler, dual full size spares, Konig snow chains, ARB snatch strap, ARB camp light, Wet Okole seat covers, rear seats removed, Xantrex Powerpack 600 HD, ARB Speedy Seal Puncture Repair Kit, ExpeditionAire Dual Compressor, ARB Deflaters, Black Diamond Ion in cab lighting, Thule swing away bike rack, Grouse mod, Randy Ellis Designs light bar, Roll-a-Table Camping Table, Paha Que' Outhouse, rear differential breather extension, MSR Dromedary water bladders, Wedco water and gas cans, Tundra bottle jack, IPF Back-Up Light, Lafuma Camp Chairs, Weather Tech Floor Liners, Vision X LED pod lights, SE tool roll, S-S. water and shower system, SilBlade wipers, Gregory Long Haul Duffels, Norman Klapper bridging ladders, Primus propane stove, Fox Hill Oven, Garmin GPS (and a case of paper maps), Stebel Horn, BudBuilt skids, Diehard Platinum P-2,

Here is how "Hadley" is sitting now.

I have driven Hadley through these places.

(Last updated November 2010)

Ancient Bristlecone Pine NBA
Arapahoe NF
Arches NP
Badlands NP
Bandalier NM
Big Bend NP
Big Bend Ranch SP
Bighorn NF
Bisti Badlands
Bridger-Teton NF
Buffalo Gap NG
Canyon de Chelly NM
Canyonlands NP
Capitol Reef NP
Carlsbad Caverns NP
Carson NF
Cedar Mesa
Chaco NHP
Chiricahua NM
Colorado NM
Coronado NF
Custer NF
Death Valley NP
Devils Tower NM
Dixie NF
Gallatin NF
Glen Canyon NRA
Grand Staircase-Escalante NM
Grand Teton NP
Guadalupe NP
Inyo NF
Jemez NRA
Kaibab NF
Las Vegas Strip
Lincoln NF
Little Missouri NG
Manti-La Sal NF
Mesa Verde NP
Moab
Mono Lake SR
Monument Valley
Mt Saint Helens NVM
Navajo Land
Olympic NP
Oregon Coast
Paria Plateau
Petrified Forest NP
Petroglyph NM
Redwood NP
Roosevelt NF
Saguaro NP
San Isabel NF
San Juan NF
San Rafael Swell/Reef
Santa Fe NF
Seattle
Shoshone NF
Sitgreaves NF
Teddy Roosevelt NP
Three Rivers BLM
Tonto NF
Uncompahgre NF
Utah BLM Land
Valentine NWR
Valles Caldera NP
Valley of the Gods
Vermillion Cliffs NM
The VLA
White River NF
White Sands NM
Yellowstone NP
Yosemite NP
Zion NP

I have started a thread with my thoughts and plans for a Four Wheel Camper.

The FWC Build

A couple of things to remember.
"A tourist does not know where they have been, a traveler does not know where they are going."
"Remember, it might not always be fun, but it will be memorable."

USCG Master Mariner, Skipper of "Avanti," a RTW Beneteau First 42.
Other modes of travel: a good pair of boots, a sea kayak, a canoe, a bike, and a few pairs of skis.

Hi everyone, I'm a longtime reader and I finally decided to start my own thread. This is such a great resource and I am excited to be part of it.

I bought my Tacoma this spring in Montana when my Subaru fell to pieces. (RIP, it crossed the country many times with me, after a couple resurrections it died its final death in the mountains) I am now in the process of building my Tacoma into an overland vehicle that can travel for a couple months in relative comfort. I want to have a vehicle that can get me way out into the wilds and still travel the highways. I have done a few things so far and I will be posting as I go. I'll probably have many questions about mods and equipment, so thanks for the help in advance.

Here are some photos of the truck on the journey west from Montana. The box and bars came from the Ru, the only other "mods" at that point were some crappy plastic tubs from the mart that held my stuff and in no way kept anything dry. It did make for some amazing nights under the stars in the high mountains.

Up in the mountains in Oregon.

t2wf6.jpg

The Pacific.

t3zd7.jpg

Getting its feet wet, the first water crossing at a small creek along the coast.

2003574326691088755_rs.jpg

At the Elwa River in Olympic NP.

2000303329513915656_rs.jpg

In the Alabama Hills.

2000314996386289631_rs.jpg

The White Mountains.

2000322934890021624_rs.jpg

The Bristlecone Pines.

2004354378310647115_rs.jpg

2004344534509221364_rs.jpg

Sunset, looking across Owens Valley to the Sierras.

2004304374293733204_rs.jpg

Sunset in Kolob Canyons on the drive home.

2001238999937246829_rs.jpg

Coming soon! Images and info on my new topper, cargo basket and a start on off-road lights.

Last edited:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
A Few Questions

A couple things I have been thinking about that I would like some more info on.

Is anybody running 265/75 BFG AT on an 05-07 Tacoma with stock suspension? I can not tell if it is going to rub when at full lock.

I am thinking about carrying sand-bridging ladders and any ideas on using them or what ones to buy would be great. I am looking at Terra-Trax from SLC.

I also am going to need to carry snow chains. I like the Konig snow chains but can't find a place to buy them here in states. I am also wondering if they are going to work on my front wheels because of the tight clearance on the back of the sidewall of the tire.

Thanks for any ideas and wisdom.

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Nice pics and a great rig you've got there. I'll be following this thread. :chowtime:

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Welcome to ExPo!!! Nice Taco. Keep us posted on the build. Also, GREAT pics. Thanks for sharing.

slooowr6

Explorer
Overland Hadley said:
Is anybody running 265/75 BFG AT on an 05-07 Tacoma with stock suspension? I can not tell if it is going to rub when at full lock.

From what I heard it'll fit fine with stock suspension.

FortyMileDesert

Adventurer
Not trying to be a nit-picker, but:

The White Mountains are not really anywhere near Area 51 (Groom Lake - Rachel). To get from the White Mountains to Rachel 'as the crow flies' is about 160 miles. To get there by road is about 260 miles......

- just a bit of Nevada geography lesson for the Arizonans.....:gunt:

Nuclear Redneck

Adventurer
Overland Hadley said:

I'm running them with no issues on my stock Taco.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
FortyMileDesert said:
Not trying to be a nit-picker, but:
The White Mountains are not really anywhere near Area 51 (Groom Lake - Rachel). To get from the White Mountains to Rachel 'as the crow flies' is about 160 miles. To get there by road is about 260 miles....
Yes, you are right. I had gotten some notes mixed up while I was getting help posting the photos online. My bad, I did not mean to misrepresent.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Welcome to the Expo and Nice Taco...

It's funny how I can automaticly tell if a Pic is from OR/WA/The NW. Great pics, and a great start to a great rig...

I'd suggest Some sliders and a canopy for the first mods.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Tire Size

Thanks for the tire size info. The best that I can tell is that I have a little less than an inch of clearance at full lock, so going up to 265/75 should give me half to a quarter of an inch before I would rub. Just wanted to make sure they would fit before I dropped a grand on new shoes. Now I just need to wear down the factory tires a bit more. I know I am going to curse these factory tires when the snow falls, so I might get the new ones soon.

slooowr6

Explorer
I'm in the same situation, need to wear down the OEM tire a little more before spend the $ on new tires. I'm deciding between 255/85/16(33") and 265/75/16(32"). Base on TACODOC's thread It should fit and the places he reported rubbing are mud flap, which should be easy to fix, and UCA at full lock on 1 side when in reverse. :)

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
slooowr6 said:
I'm in the same situation, need to wear down the OEM tire a little more before spend the $ on new tires. I'm deciding between 255/85/16(33") and 265/75/16(32").
+1

Overland Hadley

on a journey
The Topper

Well here are the photos of the new topper. It is a Leer 122 high rise. The best part of it is that I was able to get the high rise model with windoors and no vertical windows. I think that the option to get the high rise with the windoors is fairly new, what a great word, windoors.

This winter I will be building a storage/sleeping area in the back, something similar to what BAJATACO has done, with some added ideas that I have from the time that I have spent on sailboats. I am planning pull out drawers along the back, and the rest will be hatch-accessed compartments. I also want to build it with an extension so I can stretch out with the gate open and watch the stars.

I have put four load bars and a basket along with holders for a couple shovels and a high lift jack on top. The basket will hold water and gas cans for extended trips in the desert, and I will also carry sand ladders up there.

So enough talk, here are some pics.

The topper with load bars and basket.

2003673247020453649_rs.jpg

The Windoors.

2004547820302909438_rs.jpg

The back door looks a little big, but the racks on top help it not look out of place.

2004570014526623667_rs.jpg

The roofline. More about the IPF lights to come.

2000943733851705026_rs.jpg

Any ideas or thoughts? It would be great to hear them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste