Need Radio Advice...

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
I am lost in research on 2m radios. Note this will be my first radio and I do not want to out grow it.

I am looking at a FT-7800R. Seems like a decent radio from what I can see. Is there anything that a 8800R would be worth the $?

Ok so I have it narrowed down to two radios, but I can not source an antenna nor a hood mount. I know I would need the largest antenna I can find, but what is good and what is crap? Also what would pair up with the radio well? I know I need a NMO mount....

Any pointers and or links?

Thanks for your help.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
flyingwil said:
I am lost in research on 2m radios. Note this will be my first radio and I do not want to out grow it.

I am looking at a FT-7800R. Seems like a decent radio from what I can see. Is there anything that a 8800R would be worth the $?

Ok so I have it narrowed down to two radios, but I can not source an antenna nor a hood mount. I know I would need the largest antenna I can find, but what is good and what is crap? Also what would pair up with the radio well? I know I need a NMO mount....

Thanks for your help.

I'm with Wil. I need to go zero to the right Ham set up in 60 seconds. What would you folks recommend?

bj70_guy

Adventurer
The 8800 does dual recieve - you can be talking on one frequency and montoring another at the same time. Nice if you're in touch with vehicles in your group but monitoring a logging frequency, or listening for another friend further afield on a repeater frequency.
The 8800 also does cross band repeat, if that's of interest to you.
This is how I justified the 8800 to myself. Whether I ever use these features is another story...the important thing is I CAN ;)

The 7800 has nice backlit buttons on the face, and a big readout (only one frequency to show leaves more room for bigger numbers).

I took the local ham shop's recommendation of a Larsen NMO 2M/75cm with a spring mount. Unfortunately I have yet to key the mike on the rig so I can't give a full report - but I hear it's a really good set up :rolleyes:

articulate

Expedition Leader
The can of worms is big, fellas.

Man, if you boys would just read my articles we could be drinking beer at the bar right now instead of hanging out at ExPo on a Friday.

Even better, go talk to the fellas at the Ham Radio Outlet in Phoenix.

To a degree, you'd want mil-spec 810 on a radio for the truck. Very few radios have this specification, though.

Pay close attention to the antenna you pair up to the radio; since we're dealing with rough road travel, you want a flexible whip antenna with the loading coil at the base instead of in the middle. They can handle whacking trees much better.

Is this a bunch of greek? Let's meet up so you can inspect my install, radio, and antenna. My Jeep has the FT-1500 (mil spec 810, too) with a Hustler SF-2 antenna; truck has the FT-7800 with a Larsen dual band antenna. Here it is on a hood mount, like all the cool kids.

Um, sorry, I shouldn't make it sound like I've got the best set up. There's more than one way to skin the cat.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
great timing on your post will...
I spent the last couple of months trying to figure out which radio I wanted/needed...
the nice thing about being in phx is that you can go over to dunlap & 19th ave and play with lots of them at Ham Radio Outlet...I drove those guys crazy! But I gotta say that Gary the guy that helped me and answered all my newbie questions.
Since I have a yaesu vx6r handheld & I like the yeaseu features I figured I would stick with them...
so I started looking at the 7800 since lot of folks like that radio...
then I started getting feature drunk and thinking crossband repeat and looking at the 8800 then multi band for the future and the 8900 then I started looking into aprs for gps tracking of my rig so now over to the kenwood d700 which does everything but wash my FJC....
Then a couple of things happened...
I did a night run and found out how important backlit buttons are as I tried to use my handheld...
I really ask around about how much I would use the aprs for gps tracking....cool feature and I might upgrade later but not really important now...
Then lastly I thought about crossband repeat and how often I would use that in a situation where my 5w handheld couldn't cut it....maybe 1-2 times a year...
All that balanced against the 7800 which is on sale for $250 with a free separation kit, backlit buttons with strong bright display, rugged, proven and what else could I spend the couple of hundred dollar price difference on....
So thurs I bought the 7800 and installed it the same day...quick and easy install, used a remote speaker under the driver seats headrest and I am really loving it...only downside is that I am waiting on the programing cable & software instead of manually inputing everything.
Sound quality is rock solid and clear, display is easy to read in full sunlight and the mic comes off the headunit which I like (others prefer off the body but that would mean coming up under the seat for me).
Great unit at a great price...
As to antennas I already was using a rear door lip clamp mount on the FJC and switching between a rubber dual band antenna and taller wire antenna depending on foliage.
I am working on pics of the install & antenna soon

flyingwil

articulate said:
The can of worms is big, fellas.

Man, if you boys would just read my articles we could be drinking beer at the bar right now instead of hanging out at ExPo on a Friday.

MMM what model antenna?

articulate said:
Even better, go talk to the fellas at the Ham Radio Outlet in Phoenix.
Too far to drive... I can ask you.

articulate said:
To a degree, you'd want mil-spec 810 on a radio for the truck. Very few radios have this specification, though.
ummm ok... so the 7800 and 8800 are bad?

articulate said:
Pay close attention to the antenna you pair up to the radio; since we're dealing with rough road travel, you want a flexible whip antenna with the loading coil at the base instead of in the middle.
Part #s? links?

articulate said:
They can handle whacking much better.
:shakin:

articulate said:
Is this a bunch of greek? Let's meet up so you can inspect my install, radio, and antenna. My Jeep has the FT-1500 (mil spec 810, too) with a Hustler SF-2 antenna; truck has the FT-7800 with a Larsen dual band antenna. Here it is on a hood mount, like all the cool kids.
Link? How about a BBQ?

articulate said:
Um, sorry, I shouldn't make it sound like I've got the best set up. There's more than one way to skin the cat.
I know your CB sucks ******.... not too sure how your 2M is in comparison.

dbregman

Observer
I just got my first radio as well. I went for the Kenwood TM-D700 mobile dual bander. The deciding factor was the awesome ARPS support. I am curious if any of you are using ARPS?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
flyingwil said:
ummm ok... so the 7800 and 8800 are bad?
No, quite the opposite. Yaesu radios are some of the more rugged radios. The FT-2600M for one is MIL-STD-810 built, as are their VX-6R and VX-7R. But while none of the 7800, 8800 or 8900 have this rating, they are well built for the task. Yaesu is the name Vertex Standard uses on their ham gear and Vertex is a big time commercial radio company (as are Kenwood and Icom). Modern ham gear is all well built, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

BTW, I have a 7800 and like it just fine. It does 85% of the function of a 8800 at 63% of the price. ;-)

PS: On APRS, never used it, I don't have GPS.

bc_fjc

Observer
I went with the FT-8800 and use the dualband feature all the time. It is realy nice to be able to monitor 2 stations at the same time. As for the buttons not being backlight it's not a big problem most of the time you will use the handset to make your most common changes and you will quickly learn where all the buttons are.

As for the antenna I went with the Larsen NMO 2M/75cm with out the spring mount and it has held up realy well so far even after dragging it throw the bush all summer. With this setup I have been able to make clean contacts from the trail over 60 miles away.

As for the software and programing cable the FTB8800 software works well and I made an adapter for my VX6 cable to connect to the 8800.

My biggest recommendation would be learn how to use it at home before hitting the trail...

Happy Shopping.

gary in ohio

Explorer
flyingwil said:

Thanks for your help.

Stop fretting, For your first radio it really doesn't matter, you wil outgrow it. Get yourself a basic radio until You know what you will need then trade up. From a radio standpoint there is little difference between one single band radio and the next and one dual band radio and the next for basically radio features. key the mic it transmit, release to receive. Every radio has its own quirks and options. You need to find one that the quirks work for you and one where you actually use the options. Lots of features are worthless if you dont use them. 1000 channel of memory is great but do you really think your going to press your channel up/down 1000 times? Few people will.

Bigger isnt always better, highest gain isnt always better. You need to look at how you will use the radio. If your just looking for a trail rig and will be talking with buddies on the trail then a little 1/4 antenna is fine, why put your signal 20 miles away when your only talking a mile or two. If your going to a hood mount then NMO isnt a requirement, UHF connector will work fine. Dont know what what vehicle you have so its hard to comment on antenna. Roof mount is best but on trail rigs that can sometimes be an issue. hood, rack mount. If your in a jeep then there are some nice tail light mounts. good old ball mount on the side of the vehicle will work.

Also keep in mind your dual band radio CAN use two atennas. If you want lots of gain on 2m but dont care to much about 440 get yourself a ball mounted hustler g7 (I think its called a gt-144 now. About 7ft tall, lots of gain for simplex. couple that will a gain UHF antenna and your all ready.

BogusBlake

2006 Expedition Trophy Champion
I have what seems to be becoming the common setup around here- Yaesu FT-7800 with a Larsen 2/70 NMO whip on the hood. I mounted it with a lip bracket just like Mark. Some mounts have the coax integrated but this one doesn't. You need to buy the NMO coax and the lip mount and the antenna.

The reason I went with the 7800 instead of the 8800 was purely aesthetic- The 7800 has orange backlit buttons and screen which match the interior lighting of the Tacoma!

Everyone I talk to (on the radio) says my signal is strong and clear. Like Mark said, there's no "Best" setup, but this one is the best for me.

flyingwil

BogusBlake said:
I have what seems to be becoming the common setup around here- Yaesu FT-7800 with a Larsen 2/70 NMO whip on the hood. I mounted it with a lip bracket just like Mark.

Have any links?

spressomon

Expedition Leader
The Larsen SSB-1 is a great choice if tree limbs are a concern; and then use a longer straight antenna when you're not on tree/brush covered trails. Otherwise the coil type are ok.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles