Traditional Baja Vehicle: Sportsmobile

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I have started "deconstructing" the interior of my Sportsmobile, for those of you who are interested in seeing the details of the inside. Given mine is 10 years old, but I don't believe they have changed much of the construction method.

More pictures here:

http://1996sportsmobilebuildup.blogspot.com/

I will add more pictures as I progress on this low-budget Sportsmobile project.

Christian

Last edited:

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
asteffes said:
From their website, Sportsmobiles sound like gigantic pieces of junk. Are they all as described?

Portion of the issues lay on the 6.0 Powerstroke...which is outside of Sportsmobile control. From what I have read, the 6.0 is not as good as the previous 7.3 diesel.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
asteffes said:
From their website, Sportsmobiles sound like gigantic pieces of junk. Are they all as described?

Erik has definitely had some issues that needed to be resolved and he has made some vast improvements to the original. He gave me a tour of the van last night at camp (need to finish the tour today) and he has done some really cool stuff to it, and made a lot of improvements. I would consider it a "Badgermobile" more than a "Sportsmobile" now. :D They should hire him as a consultant.

asteffes

Explorer
2aroundtheworld said:
Portion of the issues lay on the 6.0 Powerstroke...which is outside of Sportsmobile control. From what I have read, the 6.0 is not as good as the previous 7.3 diesel.

I understand the engine is Ford's problem. I'm thinking more about the Sportsmobile bits... the plumbing, electrical, 4x4 conversion, cabinetry, etc., all appear to be of incredibly poor design and execution. They flat-out ignored several things Erik and Amy wanted (and presumably paid) to have included.

asteffes

Explorer
BajaTaco said:
Erik has definitely had some issues that needed to be resolved and he has made some vast improvements to the original. He gave me a tour of the van last night at camp (need to finish the tour today) and he has done some really cool stuff to it, and made a lot of improvements. I would consider it a "Badgermobile" more than a "Sportsmobile" now. :D They should hire him as a consultant.

Right, but considering the pricetag that comes with one of these machines aren't they supposed to be much better without all that extra work?

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
asteffes said:
Right, but considering the pricetag that comes with one of these machines aren't they supposed to be much better without all that extra work?

Absolutely, for the price, they should be. I'm sure Erik would agree with that assertion.

etbadger

Adventurer
I suppose I ought to throw in my two cents...

I absolutely love the concept of the Sportsmobile. It has enabled us to live a lifestyle over the last couple years that I didn't even imagine when we first started considering our vagabondish ways 6 or 7 years ago.

From a size perspective we find it about ideal for being small enough to get into very tight places, maneuver in town, and generally take any 4x4 trail we have had the desire to try to date. Conversly it is large enough for us to carry quite a few toys, not feel cramped when the weather is inclement and we are stuck inside, and with the top up it is absolutely roomy.

On the construction side I do have my fair share of beefs, which are pretty well documented on our web-site, and I won't reiterate here. My feeling is that the quality of execution on those great ideas suffers some on both the engineering side and the actual construction. I cannot say how many of the issues we have encountered are unique to our van, and which ones are more universal. I do know that we use the van much more than their average customer, and are thus bound to run into issues more often and sooner. We also take full advantage of the 4x4 system while many owners I believe just have it as an insurance policy for snowy roads or whatever.

I have heard back from a few folks who purchased Sportsmobiles after reading our site, and made requests to the company based on our information. They were happy with what they got in the end, so experiences may have changed.

Also, please note that there are 3 Sportsmobile facilities, and I gather they are somewhat independent, though with a common name and some interaction. Our van was constructed at the California facility.

For what its worth,
-Erik

jgolden

Adventurer
articulate said:
What a sweet machine: Sportsmobile. I saw a bunch of these in Baja and a few on Mainland Mexico. Solid axles, massive steel bumpers, dual spare tires, on-board water, sleeping configurations (often pop-up style campers), etc.

What's the story on these things? It seems to me that they are an extension of RVs in the "rugged" direction. Dear Lord they are all over Baja. The only other vehicle more popular (it seems) has two wheels.

At Guerrero Negro, I ran into the beauty in the attached pictures. Totally intrigued me.
:safari-rig:

I really dig this sportsmobile.....is that an AC unit on top?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier