Bremach T-Rex is now in the USA

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
So I was at SEMA checking out cool stuff for Disabled Explorers and look at what I found!
Bremach is an Italian make that has 3 powerplant setups for the US market (yeah I picked their brains)...
gas, gas-electric hybrid & all electric

Now just think what a great platform the gas-electric would be for overland travel...an extra 30Kw or so for AC, fridge, radios, nav, cooking, heating, and soooo much more...

it comes in a 2 door and best of all a 4 door, so slap a box on the back and a family is ready to roll with solid axles, transfer case/low range and lockers!

bremachusa.com is the website and here are a few pics

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
Great news! I saw photos of the T-Rex at SEMA, but didn't realize that they have started to import vehicles to USA.

From the website http://www.bremachusa.com

"BREMACH is a new automotive Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) in California offering NHTSA, EPA, CA-DMV and CARB approved and certified Medium-Duty advanced 4x4 trucks with all-electric, gasoline, hybrid and LNG/CNG powertrains." Notice no mention of diesel engines.

Bremach vehicles are built in Italy. They use the same engines and drivetrain that Fiat uses to build the Ducato and some Iveco models.

Bremachs used to have squared-off sheetmetal over the engine compartment. The Bremach T-Rex model with rounded contours is a relatively recent development.

The Bremach web site has a set of photos labeled, "American Version." I think this is the vehicle that was displayed at SEMA.
http://www.bremachtrex.com/gallery_more.html

1leglance

I spent a few hours with the guys who are bringing these in and there are some really interesting things in the works...
Is it for everyone, of course not, but is is a great new platform to look at, Oh Yeah.

They are using a 6.0L 323hp GM gas engine for folks who want something simple, or a gas/electric hybrid (best for overlanding I would think), or an all electric, or a LPG version.
No diesel as the new emission stuff makes that a nightmare for a vehicle importer.

The 4dr version is around $100k and only weighs 7000lbs with a 7000lb payload (those are some quick numbers they gave, I am looking forward to learning more).

48 deg approach angle, 44 deg departure and 135 deg breakover, those are nice numbers even if you put a camper box on the back.......which tons of people in Europe are using to travel Africa & the world.
Oh and that bar work along the front hood, outside window frame seems structural, very cool

I took more pics of the inside which I will upload tonight....It would be great to see someone like Sportsmobile built a RV setup on this platform.

I am looking forward to talking to the guys there more very soon, we really hit it off at SEMA (I had crawled all over the T-Rex in Germany and liked it) and they are interested in our overlanding world.

haven

Expedition Leader
two more, with pop-up roof

Bremach-camper-4.jpg

Bremach-camper-6.jpg

A double cab model is available, too. This is the SEMA show truck, I think.

Bremach-camper-7.jpg

haven

Expedition Leader
Looks like the T-Rex is smaller in all dimensions than a typical American pickup, with the exception of its height. The T-Rex can be configured to carry 2000 lbs more than an F450.

-------------------

Specs are subject to change for the USA version.

engine: several diesels, none coming to USA

transmission: ZF 6 speed manual or Allison 5 speed auto

two speed transfer case with gear splitter
ratios 1.03 to 1, 1.3 to 1, 3.09 to 1, 3.9 to 1

permanent 4x4, central diff lock

wheelbase 2600, 3100, 3450 mm / 102, 122, 136 in

max chassis length 4380, 4880, 5230 / 172, 192, 206 in

width 1900 mm / 75 in

height at cab, off-road tires 2500 / 98 in

gross vehicle weight 3500 kg, 6000kg / 7716, 13,227 lbs

payload up to 3393 kg / 7480 lbs

tires off-road 255/100R16 (sounds like Michelin XZL)

ground clearance under front diff, off-road tires 280 mm / 11 in

Front approach angle 45*
Rear departure angle 44*
Maximum drivable slope 45*

Fording depth 800 mm / 31.5 in

haven

Expedition Leader
Taking a wild guess based on Lance's information, I think the engine that BremachUSA will install in the T-Rex will be the Chevrolet LQ4. It's a 6.0L V8 with iron block and aluminum heads that is used in many GM light trucks, including the 3500 pickup. The engine is rated to produce 325 hp and 370 ft-lbs of torque. For 2011, GM teams the LQ4 with a 6 speed Allison automatic transmission in many pickup trucks.

The EPA rates the Express 3500 cargo van with the LQ4 6.0L V8 at 10 mpg city, 16 mpg highway, or 12 mpg overall. I think that's close to the fuel economy you can expect from the T-Rex with gas V8.

It occurs to me that another reason for Bremach USA to import the T-Rex without an engine is that there's a 25% tariff on imported trucks. Installing the engine here lowers the tariff to 2.5%.

haven

Expedition Leader
A little web searching turned up the information that Global-E, a Louisiana company with experience building all-electric and hybrid vehicles, has a contract with Bremach USA to construct their vehicles. It's not clear if Global-E will be installing the gas engines, but I think they will be behind the engineering to install the gas-electric hybrid models.

http://www.global-e.us/

I wonder if Global-E will use GM's hybrid pickup truck technology, or go a different direction. Maybe an electric drivetrain, with a small gas or diesel engine to recharge the batteries?

There are plenty of big tax credits for electric vehicles available from state and federal governments. A gas-electric hybrid might end up with a price similar to the gas engine model.

1leglance

bingo on the chicken tax thing...
plus you are using an EPA approved driveline which saves lots of hassle...

Honestly the setup I would be most interested in is the gas/electric hybrid.
The guys at Bremach USA figure you would have around 30kw of extra power to play with when sitting around in camp.
So figure that is the same as 30 little Honda generators worth of power to run a nice AC out in the desert, laptop navigation/entertainment, big fridge, charge every camera battery you own and more...
It might even make electric cooktops and microwaves something easy to install.

From the disabled perspective, it might be alot easier to put a lift in the camper box and access the drivers seat from inside than try anything else. Plus a big square camper box means just about any layout you want.
HANDICAPPED48.13-560.jpg

I look at these and imagine a WAVE II, something with big windows that could handle 2 wheelchair users at a time, basically the ability to provide day trips for more than 1 person (thus lowering the cost to the non-profit per participant) and yet still function as a camping rig for 1 disabled person.

I also like that this is something that already is in production in Europe (other than driveline) which means snorkels, skid plates, wheels and so much more is already out there).

Yes the price is up there, but I think it could come in under the price of a Earthroamer or Global Expedition Vehicle, Unicat.

haven

Expedition Leader
Just as a point of reference, a Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Hybrid pickup with 4x4 and 6.0L V8 engine costs about $45,000.

1leglance

Here are some of the pics I took at SEMA....

The overhead console is already setup for 2 extra radios and has additional storage, this saves a builder from having to custom make this part.
bremachusa-1.jpg

The dash is a redo for the US market, aftermarket gauges to give you all the info, lots of room to add extra switches and 2 storage areas in front of the passenger, plenty of room for maps and you could do a laptop nav system super easy in. Not sure what would be needed to get rid of the center console in a 2dr to make pass thru to the camper easier.
bremachusa-2.jpg

bremachusa-6.jpg

bremachusa-7.jpg

The front and rear solid axles look plenty tough, other than those everything else is very well tucked up and I would not worry about skid plates at all. I have run my Sportsmobile through a number of rock gardens and not had issues.
Maybe some sort of bash plate for the front if someone really wanted.
The leafs look stout, but of course once a camper box is on there might be a need to upgrade springs and shocks.
bremachusa-9.jpg

bremachusa-10.jpg

bremachusa-11.jpg

This is the engine compartment for the GM powered gas version, plenty of room for extra batteries, dual alternator, and lots of other stuff. You can get snorkels and other stuff easily from Europe.
Like I have said, the gas/electric is what I am looking forward to learning more about as that solves SO MANY issues as far as adding extra batteries, solar and all those other ways we deal with our power needs.
bremachusa-14.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior