UAV for video?

jcbrandon

Explorer
Anyone have any experience with mounting a camera in a radio-controlled aircraft and using it for expedition photography?

I think one of the things that makes great off-road video is helicopter shots. The Dakar does that really well. But not very practical for us.

Radio control pilots sometimes mount cameras on their model aircraft. How 'bout using a small radio controlled helicopter to shoot overland video? Anyone tried it? Got any links to share?

What's the matter? You can't afford $3000 an hour for a helicopter, pilot, camera operator, FAA permits, remote fueling (if necessary), travel expenses for crew?

I play with the big boys. An experienced crew will get you shots that you've only dreamed of. They're not shooting aerials for Planet Earth, Dakar, WRC, Baja with RC toys.

Yes, I'm being sarcastic.

Welcome to my office below.

Attachments

• 20100402_jwhite-heli_031_copy.jpg
    20100402_jwhite-heli_031_copy.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 24

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
What's the matter? You can't afford $3000 an hour for a helicopter, pilot, camera operator, FAA permits, remote fueling (if necessary), travel expenses for crew?

I play with the big boys. An experienced crew will get you shots that you've only dreamed of. They're not shooting aerials for Planet Earth, Dakar, WRC, Baja with RC toys.

Yes, I'm being sarcastic.

Welcome to my office below.

You dog! Some guys just get to have all the fun. :bigbossHL:

ThomD

Explorer
A couple years ago I had good luck with live video feed from a DraganFly four-bladed helicopter. Since then they've got fancy and offer everything from hobby grade to police grade systems. Here's a couple links:

http://www.draganfly.com/

http://www.rctoys.com/rc-products-catalog/RC-PARTS-WIRELESS-VIDEO-EQUIPMENT.html

I'm not sure what the relationship is between rctoys.com and Draganfly but there seems to be one.

Good luck, David

When we got married, we agreed on 2 rules - no aquariums and no RC toys. That was more than 20 years ago and it has served us well.. A couple of years ago she bought me an ecosphere. Now you are threatening the other pillar of our marriage. Very interesting.

DesertBoater

Adventurer
I've got a friend that just completed a sailing expedition up the inside coast of Baja and across to Bahia de Kino, and then back. They brought along a single line foil kite with a small lightweight frame to hold one of those Olympus waterproof cameras. They would fly that thing behind the boat and it was set to take pictures every x number of seconds, minutes, what have you. He could also program it to take a picture, then turn 10 or 20 degrees on a swivel, take a picture, and repeat until he got a full 360. It would just keep going until it either ran out of memory/battery, or he pulled it in and turned it off.
Not the most exact thing, but if you're good with small electronics/rc things, you could probably rig up some sort of control mechanism to get it pointed where you wanted...maybe even with some sort of live feed running down the kite line. It's probably a cheaper and much more simple solution to a fully rc plane/helicopter.

Cheers,
West

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Anyone have any experience with mounting a camera in a radio-controlled aircraft and using it for expedition photography?

Here are some things I know, slightly related to this context:

I know several movies (big hollywood stuff) have fallen back to using what are basically souped-up RC Helicopters w/ good cameras mounted to them as a low-budget alternative to full-blown aerial photography. The results are good, and its way cheaper than a manned helicopter.

I know that flying even unmodified RC Helicopters is really friggin hard. You will crash and destroy a lot of equipment learning the basics. Also, this is not a hobby for people who work with their hands. You will cut up your hands at some point. Surgeons, pianists, etc. need not apply.

I know that flying RC planes is much easier, but it'll be harder to get nice slow overflights, etc. unless you've built something really special.

I know that Make Magazine has done a couple of editions that covered various "remote photography" projects. There were cameras in rockets, cameras on extreme-high-altitude balloons (like edge of space stuff), cameras on easier just-high-altitude balloons, and cameras on RC cars. Always amazing results.

DesertBoater said:
I've got a friend that just completed a sailing expedition up the inside coast of Baja and across to Bahia de Kino, and then back. They brought along a single line foil kite with a small lightweight frame to hold one of those Olympus waterproof cameras.

That is pretty damned cool. The great thing about this is that just about anyone can fly a kite. Dragging behind a boat makes it almost idiot proof.

We have one of the Canon Powershot cameras (SD600, IIRC), and one of the nice extras is that there's a hacker project that allows you to "take over" the camera in a non-invasive way (a new OS runs on the SD flash card), and allows stuff like automatic Time Lapse, motion detection, etc. I had planned on mounting it on my dash for my next outing to shoot a time-lapse movie, but it might also be cool to do something aerial.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Here are some things I know, slightly related to this context:

I know several movies (big hollywood stuff) have fallen back to using what are basically souped-up RC Helicopters w/ good cameras mounted to them as a low-budget alternative to full-blown aerial photography. The results are good, and its way cheaper than a manned helicopter.

I know that flying even unmodified RC Helicopters is really friggin hard. You will crash and destroy a lot of equipment learning the basics. Also, this is not a hobby for people who work with their hands. You will cut up your hands at some point. Surgeons, pianists, etc. need not apply.

I know that flying RC planes is much easier, but it'll be harder to get nice slow overflights, etc. unless you've built something really special.

Some really good stuff here.

I do (or did) fly RC Airplanes, and dabled in small RC Helicopters. Actually, I got into the helicopters with the exact idea that this thread is about. Using them as a platform for photography of outdoor sports.

The reality is, exactly as posted here. They're really friggen hard. First of all, as you can see, those small lightweight easy to fly setups are way too unstable, shaky, and poor quality cameras. The other thing they're not really saying is, you probably can't fly them if there's any kind of wind. I know with the small electric helicopters, unless it's dead calm, forget about it. They just get blown away. I know, I've tried.

To get good results, this really needs to be done with a larger RC helicopter, probably gas powered. A 60 or 90 size. So what you're looking at is upwards of $2000 for the airframe and radio, not including the camera. Then, you have to know, that learning, flying, and maintaining something like this is a full time hobby in itself. You can't do this, while *also* doing overland travel. It's just not something you dable in.

Airplanes are easier to fly, but you generally need an improved airstrip. Typically, about 200 feet of grass. There are some STOL airplanes... really any airplane can be STOL. With a big enough engine, they can take off vertical out of your hand. The problem is the landings. A really skilled pilot could probably stick a landing on 50 feet of runway, reliably. The problem with airplanes, is they have to keep moving forward. You'd have to take a series of swooping shots. Maybe it could work for stills, but forget video. You could probably build a large, slow flying plane, and aim the camera sideways, and hover around the site. But you won't find anything suitable pre-built. So now you're designing and building from scratch. Full-time hobby again.

Also note that, it's extremely easy to crash these things. A gust of wind on landing, radio glitch, or a dead engine, could take out the aircraft, and the camera. So significant financial risk as well.

There are a number of ready-made systems available. But notice... "surveillance" is one thing. Actually getting high-quality images, is a whole other matter.

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
About 10-12 years ago I was part of a group looking into this sort of technology for SAR....specifically flying a small UAV into areas that big aircraft couldn't go, or would be too dangerous to try. Nothing came of it, but the technology is WAY more advanced these days so who knows?

I was wondering though. One problem we had that we couldn't overcome cheaply was recording location/elevation/time and HEADING information along with the captured video. There were methods to capture location, but not heading and we really needed to know what direction the camera was pointed.

Has this problem been solved? I could see using similar capture technology being used in (say) dash-cam video.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
My father runs a company involved in environmental cleanup, and he was also interested in this a few years ago. ie: Train crash, to see if there is any leakage of gas before sending crews in, etc. And same deal, I told him it wasn't practical, at the time.

Now, I have heard of people going as far as having fully automatic UAV. Set a GPS waypoint, and it flies itself there, and would take pictures. I think they used it for long distance surveilance of a volcano or something like that. So, the technology is out there for what you want to do.

However, the FAA is starting to get concerned with this. They control everything in the air, but up until recently, turned a blind eye towards R/C aircraft, since they were always line-of sight of the ground. But now that hobbyists are going for altitude records (20,000+ feet) with automated aircraft, the FAA has taken notice. People have even flown automated RC aircraft across the Atlantic ocean! I'm not fully aware of the current state of this, haven't touched my planes in about 3 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94