My M416

Jeepman13126

Hey guys and gals! I just found this site recently and have to say it is awesome. Here are a couple of pictures of my M416 that i just finished a fream off on. I just spent the last forty five minutes or so writing a long detailed message of all that i have done only to have it dissappear on me not to be found again. So here are the highlights. Extended the tongue using reciever tubing, and mounted spare tire, ammo box, and propane tank on tongue. Ditched the pintle in favor of a Max Coupler from AT trailers. Had the frame powder coated and had a new floor welded into the tub. Painted to match the 1974 Jeep CJ6 tow vehicle, and built a tilting tonneau cover with Thule roof rack to mount the RTT. If you have any question let them rip.

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0031.jpg

DSC_0032.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

rubicon789

Observer
very nice... I like your top idea. Is it water tight? Looks like it would be lots lighter then a full metal top. I like the button snap look too. Any closer pictures of the top and the rack?

Jeepman13126

Re:

These are the closest pics I have of the top right now. I used 1 3/4 inch square tubing to make the frame and had the tonneau cover made for the frame. I just screwed the Thule rack right thru the tonneau cover into the frame work. So far it has proverd to be water tight. I used Topper tap around the frame to seal it better and the tonneau cover is water tight of course. Here are some pics.

DSC_0040.jpg

DSC_0039.jpg

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Nice looking rig. Wish I still my 416 but sold it and bought a Horizon. Nice job loike the soft top.

rugbier

Adventurer
Hi,

Awesome looking trailer

Would you mind sharing some info

1 - what kind of shocks to hold the lid ( top )
2 - are you running original axle, and if not which one , size ( exact spec if possible ) , etc
3 - what type of wheels are those

Thanks in advance

JKDetonator

Adventurer
Nice job!

I have got one question for you, what did you utilize for the rib that lets the top shed water? Where did you obtain that piece? Oops, sorry thats 2 questions :sombrero:

RJ40

Adventurer
Very Nice Build! Can you shoot some more details on the tongue extension and how does the lid latch? Looks very well done!

Cheers!

Jeepman13126

Re:

Thanks for all the Kudos guys.To start with I live in Tampa FL. I think there are alot of Florida people on here because we have to do alot of travelling to find good off-road trails.

I don't know exactly where the fiberglass pole and retainers came from. When I had the tonneau cover made the canvas builder included it. But it looks exactly like the parts from west marine that njtaco found. The guy who made the Tonneau cover for me also did boat canvas so it would make perfect sense.

The shocks that hold the top up are just some off the self parts from Auto zone. I had to buy numerous styles and pressures until I found two that would hold the weight.

I am still running the orginal axle, I just rubuilt it with new bearings, retaining nuts, and shocks.

The wheels are just an older style American Racing wheel. I don't even know if they still make them anymore. The old military wheels were hub centric and required a flat lug nut to hold the wheels on. These wheels are lug centric so I just replaced the lugs with the conical style to center the wheel. They are 5X 5.5 bolt pattern just like the CJ.

The tongue. I removed the orginal landing leg and pintle assembly which left the two C channel pieces of frame work that come to a point with exactly enough space in between them to allow the reciever tube. The tubing extends approximately 16" back from the front of the C channel, then approximtely 2.5ft beyond the C channel. I don't remember all of the exact measurements right now. I then sandwiched the end of the tubing between to pieces of 1/4 inch by 2inch flat stock steel. I also did that at the front of the C channel. Then I drilled a very large hole to put the very large bolt thru like the stock Pintle landing leg system. So I didnt collapse the C channel with the giant bolt when I tightened it down I had to weld two angled pieces on the reciever tubing for support. I don'd know if I explained it very well but it was actually very simple to build and so far has been very stong. The only thing I would have changed if I was to do it again is I would run the tubing all the way to the back of the frame so I could use it as a very solid mount for pulling myself out of stuff backwards. I have a small reciever tube on the back now, but would not use it for anything more then holding a bike rack.

As far as the lid goes, right now it really does'nt latch. The weight of the tent and frame hold it down fine when going down the road, but to make sure it does not go anywhere I just throw on two ratchet straps from one side of the box to the other. Not the cleanest method, but it works.

Jeepman13126

Re:

Thanks for all the Kudos guys. To answer all of the questions I live in Tampa and I don't know exactly where the fiberglass pole and retainers came from. When I had the tonneau cover made the canvas builder included it. But it looks exactly like the parts from west marine that njtaco found. The guy who made the Tonneau cover for me also did boat canvas so it would make perfect sense.

The shocks that hold the top up are just some off the self parts from Auto zone. I had to buy numerous styles and pressures until I found two that would hold the weight.

I am still running the orginal axle, I just rubuilt it with new bearings, retaining nuts, and shocks.

The wheels are just an older style American Racing wheel. I don't even know if they still make them anymore. The old military wheels were hub centric and required a flat lug nut to hold the wheels on. These wheels are lug centric so I just replaced the lugs with the conical style to center the wheel. They are 5X 5.5 bolt pattern just like the CJ.

The tongue. I removed the orginal landing leg and pintle assembly which left the two C channel pieces of frame work that come to a point with exactly enough space in between them to allow the reciever tube. The tubing extends approximately 16" back from the front of the C channel, then approximtely 2.5ft beyond the C channel. I don't remember all of the exact measurements right now. I then sandwiched the end of the tubing between to pieces of 1/4 inch by 2inch flat stock steel. I also did that at the front of the C channel. Then I drilled a very large hole to put the very large bolt thru like the stock Pintle landing leg system. So I didnt collapse the C channel with the giant bolt when I tightened it down I had to weld two angled pieces on the reciever tubing for support. I don'd know if I explained it very well but it was actually very simple to build and so far has been very stong. The only thing I would have changed if I was to do it again is I would run the tubing all the way to the back of the frame so I could use it as a very solid mount for pulling myself out of stuff backwards. I have a small reciever tube on the back now, but would not use it for anything more then holding a bike rack.

As far as the lid goes, right now it really does'nt latch. The weight of the tent and frame hold it down fine when going down the road, but to make sure it does not go anywhere I just throw on two ratchet straps from one side of the box to the other. Not the cleanest method, but it works.

telwyn

Adventurer
I'm in St. Pete - would love to see your trailer in person sometime. I'm still about halfway through the build on mine, but the lid is still on the to do list. I really like how your canvas lid turned out although I think I'll still go with a solid lid for my trailer.

Who did the work on your lid?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior