Desertdude's M101 trailer grows up

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
I think I might only use this trailer on a few occasions Jim Brantley's Surf N Turf is comming up in Nov - I know that this is a real basecamp pull a trailer kind of event - I can unload the 80 series and put the Maggiolina on the trailer along with water/12v pump - extra gas and the generator - keeping the 80 light for dune runs -

Here are some photos of what happened so far

Photo below shows the M101 with a spring over and 33" tires on 80 series rims - getting a lid and a lock & roll hitch right now

Attachments

• Trailer-for-mud.jpg
    Trailer-for-mud.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 745

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Looks Great! :sunflower

Nice and simple restore, looks like it was in exceptional condition to begin with.

Where did you find it? :box:

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
Thanks! I then towed it out with me to CA - while I am working here I can get other things done to it - it tows like a dream even empty

Bought it in winter of 2004 with the Copper State Cruisers group buy - a full tractor trailer load of 22 came to Phoenix out of Quebec - this is from circa 1992 - not in too bad a shape at all - the tub is incredibly stout the way it is constructed ...military all the way :box:

now to figure out a color scheme :coffee:

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
Thanks! the latest work on it so far... lid frame made from 1x1 .120 dom - rivit on the steel piano hinge - and setting up the paddle slam latches - 14 guage steel skin on the frame -

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
Looks like it's gonna be a kick butt trailer! Can't wait to see it finished. Then maybe I can talk Handbrake into one.

atavuss

Adventurer
nice top! are you using gas struts to hold it open or are you going to just flip the top over to use as a table? are the paddles lockable? can you show detail for what the paddles latch against? any estimates on how much the top weighs? I have a 1946 Bantam TC-3 Civilian 1/4 ton trailer that I need to fab a top for, instead of having the top sit on top of the rails I want my top to go around the perimeter so it will enclose the tailgate (Civilian Bantam trailers came from factory with tailgate cut in) to make it more theft resistant and secure. I would have to put the supports on top of the outside top frame instead of butting it to the frame like you did. this will make it harder to fab a top though.

Last edited:

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
Thanks! the gas struts hold up to 250 lbs - in the link above they are the AC10250 shocks - the lid and tent rack wieghs apprx 125 lbs - the slam latch paddle is lockable - we welded mounts to the lid frame then welded simple 1x1 angle steel flush with the tub edges so the latches would catch - the hinge left approx. 3/8" gap which I sealed with a rubber gasket weather strip found at the hardware store ( I can get the type when I see my trailer next week)

with the tent on top the lid works perfect just enough wieght to keep it down when it is clicked open - but enough lift to make it easy to open - this is all adjusted by the strut install angle

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94