Recession Forces Sale: ADV DUO Sportsmobile

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
SOLD

The gist of what's going on is, we haven't been paid in months and it's hard to afford the SMB when we aren't bringing anything home. Times are tough for us, even if it doesn't show. It's showing now. The SMB has to go. The good part that comes from this is that we have a great opportunity given to us by a fellow member Mike Hiscox to buy back our old rig exactly how it left us. We consider ourselves very fortunate to be able to do this. I put many hard days of wrenching into the 80 and loved every minute of it. The cruiser will be paid for in full and one less bill per month to deal with. There's always time for another SMB or hey maybe a Unicat in our future. Right now in our position this is the smartest thing to do. I've been going back and forth about it for weeks, but i think i need to do what's right.

2003 Sportsmobile 4x4 EB 50 v10 w/54,000 miles (built Feb 2004)

$50k

Color: Baja Tan
Body: EB (Extended Body)
Engine: 6.8 Liter V10
Tranny: Auto 4 speed OD
T-case: ATLAS II
Rear Axle: Ford Full Float w/4.11's and Limited Slip and disc brakes
Front Axle: Dynatrac Pro Roc 60 w/4.11's/Cross over steering/Warn Premium Hubs and disc brakes.
Floor Plan: 50

Sportsmobile Added Options:
XL underfloor storage
Rotating captains chair option
Built in Penthouse TV antenna
Aluminess Trojan Front Bumper
Warn M12000 Winch w/new hand controller
Aluminess Trojan Rear Bumper w/storage/tire carrier and Fuel/water carrier
Upgraded leather captains chairs
Large Norcold Fridge with Freezer
Sink in galley w/ 7 Gallon Grey water tank
Large option 16 gallon fresh water tank
7.5 Gallon frame mounted propane tank
Suburban electric propane furnace
Yakima track and load bars
Limo tint Rear windows
Back up camera
Matching Painted Penthouse
Marine Vinyl Flooring with matching Carpet overlay
Porta Potty
4AGM Lifeline House Battery with Built in separator
Smart Inverter
Scangauge II
K40 Antenna
Cobra CB Radio w/ Weather
Optional larger 46 gallon Transferlow fuel tank
Pioneer 12 disc CD Changer
Rancho 9000 Adjustable shocks
QuickAir 3 Air Compressor (portable steel case version)

Duo added options:
Lowrance Baja 540C
17" Mojave Teflon Wheels
BFGoodrich All-terrain 315/75R17 Tires
2 NATO Fuel Cans
2 NATO Water Cans
Yakima Kayak Holder
Mombasa Awning
Pioneer double din head unit w/dvd/mp3/XM satellite etc
Warn premium hub rebuild
Onboard trickle charger for starter battery

We bought this truck off the Sportsmobile West previously used section. The truck is in great condition. It has no dents or scratches. It was previously owned by a firefighter before us and he took really good care of it. We have done the same. We've put approx 4,000 miles on the truck in 7 months. It's kept inside in a climate controlled, alarmed warehouse. We have all the paperwork with it including original window sticker from Ford, Sportsmobile build sheet and option sheet along with all manuals that came with it.

Pics
rig3.jpg

rig1m.jpg

rig2.jpg

Photos don't show the awning.

Interior shots:

Im sure im leaving out more, but if you're interested please give me a call or PM me. Serious inquiries only. I can pick you up at LAX or John Wayne if you want to fly in and drive it home. I can also deliver it if need be.

The Yaesu 2800M and Antenna don't go with the sale. Either does Yosh and Dixie :D

FYI: There's a windshield crack in the lower portion of the windshield. If you want i can knock off $200.00 or i can replace the windshield before you take the rig. I just haven't had time to replace it. Also, the cd changer stopped working after El Camino Del Diablo.. and i haven't had a chance to fix it or replace it since i don't use it much. The cd changer is selling as is with my discs in it.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:

Michael Slade

Untitled
Congratulations on making what has to be a very tough decision. It's not easy making the hard choices, so if that is what you've decided, then offer no apologies. Life has it's course, sometimes unpredictable, and all we can do is adjust or perish.

Good luck with the sale. I will be interested to hear more about the SMB. I am envious of those who have one...and sad for those who have to sell theirs. :(

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Dave,

sorry to hear that. Times are a bit challenging indeed but it's great that you can get the 80 back!

kjp1969

Explorer
Man, that's heartbreaking. But good on you for making the tough call and scaling back on the non-essentials.

Now if only I had the cash. . .

Tree

Adventurer
That sucks man! Everytime I think of this site, your sportsmobile and dougs fg pop into my head. Good luck though, hope everything goes alright!

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Ok updated the specs on the rig. If anyone has any questions don't hesitate to call me or email me.

Thanks for the support and kind words guys. Im confident this is the right thing to do. It's an awesome truck no doubt and there's nothing wrong with it. I hope it goes to a good home. Like i already said, i feel really fortunate that we are getting a second chance on our last rig.

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
Hey Dave, Yosh and Dixie...sorry to hear about the financial issues! I'm glad we got to see the SMB in action on El Camino this year...whoever ends up with it is going to be a lucky person!

I am glad to hear you are getting your 80 back! Too bad its minus the trailer but I really love that truck! Hopefully we will get to see it in person soon as well.

Hmmm maybe I can convince Josh's parents to buy it and get rid of their Roadtrek so they can actually go more places with us!

ExpoMike

Bummer to hear you have to sell the SMB but I have been in that situation before. Sold my very well modified '69 Camaro when I got divorced. Miss the car but in the end, it has all worked out for the better.

Glad you have the option to pick up the LC again. So does that mean you will go back to SoCalFJ name? :D

Fergie

Expedition Leader
You got it handled dude.

Back when my wife and I first married, I sold off every aftermarket item I had on my 1995 XJ that was very nicely built. It allowed us to make it through a very rough time financially.

Let us know if you need anything, especially if you come through the LAX area as we are only 5 minutes away, and have a spare room.

G

JChatary

Outdoor Daydreamer
Wow dude....that's too bad. At least you're getting your 80 back! I'm glad that last ride we went on I decided not to take the WJ and ride with you guys in the SMB! I hope things turn around for you at your work real quick!

wesel123

Explorer
That sucks. I had to make the same choice a few months ago, so I feel your pain. I miss the SMB but not as bad as I thought. I seem to have more fun in my 100 pulling a trailer. And like you said you can always "upgrade".

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
We now have a great opportunity to buy back our matching Horizon trailer untouched and the same as the way we sold it also! It's like all this was meant to be? Kind of crazy. Going back to our roots. I can't express how lucky i feel right now. This is truly an amazing experience. I personally want to thank THOMD for the chance to buy back the trailer.

Now if someone would snatch up the Sportsmobile, i could go grab the old rig(s) back.

Last edited:

Bighead

Adventurer
We now have a great opportunity to buy back our matching Horizon trailer untouched and the same as the way we sold it also! It's like all this was meant to be? Kind of crazy. Going back to our roots. I can't express how lucky i feel right now. This is truly an amazing experience.

Now if someone would snatch up the Sportsmobile, i could go grab the old rig(s) back.

That's some good luck...I want to hit Vegas with you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94