80 series shock question

david despain

Adventurer
Does any one have any stock length shocks laying about? Preferably OME but bilstiens would work too. Or toy ones for that matter (I wonder if they are valved similar to Range Rovers?). I am looking for overall length extended and compressed measurements. I think the rear shocks is all I need. they are eye at the top and stem at the bottom correct? so I guess it would be measured eye to the mounting surface of the stem.

I am looking to put some Old Man Emu shocks into my Range Rover with my coil conversion and have read where rear FJ80 shocks will work with the amount of lift the coils provide. I just wanted some confirmation for my own peace of mind before I shell out for shocks. And if they will work then i wont cut off the shock mounts to make extended mounts. Bonus for me!
Thanks, david

Last edited:

THATSALEXUS?

Adventurer
From the center of the hole to the mounting area between the two bushings on the shaft:
14 13/16" compressed
23 13/16" extended

I don't know that it matters in your application but the shaft is at the top of the shock, not the bottom.

Hope this helps

david despain

Adventurer
Wow you guys are fast! and good. I dont care what others say, you toy guys are alright by me :D yeah in this aplication the stem end is on the bottom. i dont think this matters but someone may know better than me.
what kind of weight is on each axle or total weight of the truck? i am thinking the soft shocks might work better if the LC is heavier than the RR, but then again the firm ones may work better to control lean with the coils. thoughts? i didnt even know they came in soft and firm until i saw the slee link. thanks for all your help guys

Pokey

Adventurer
If you are looking into stock length 80 series shocks---i would highly recommend picking up a set of NEW stock shocks from CDan at American Toyota. You can find his contact # in the 80section of ih8mud.com.

The stock Toyota shocks are made by Tokiko---and are a real nice quality shock. Tokiko sells high performance stuff for the ricer cars and typically is on par with KONI-Bilstein etc. Granted- these arent high end Bilsteins---but for $110 for the set-----its a no brainer---bang for the buck shock.

My cruiser has new OME stock height springs---and these shocks are a nice match and have held up well to my 5500lb cruiser this past year. Im sure they would be great on a rangerover if the springs are in good shape.

david despain

Adventurer
looks like N 74E shocks will be the way to go. does anyone know the bolt dia hole in the eye of the bushing? or are all shocks fairly standard?

THATSALEXUS?

Adventurer
Not really in the mood to go rip a shock off of my rig right now but it looks like about a 19mm shaft that the shock eye mounts to.

alia176

Explorer
Umm, there's one thing about the shock eye hole size; the FJ80 bottom eye hole is 3/4" ID where as the top eye hole of the RR shock is 1/2" or less (maybe 12mm?). This is not a big deal but worth mentioning.

Another issue is that if you mount the 80 shock upside down in the RRC, water will collect. The Tokico and OME shocks will experience this problem. However a Bilstein shock doesn't have one half that goes into the other half so upside mounting shouldn't be an issue.

I'd definitely go for a firmer valving shock, otherwise, your RRC body will wallow like a pig on the trail. Ask me how I know!

If you can acquire a set of Tokico shocks (Landcruiser 80 series only, not LX450 shocks) and try them out, it'd be worth the effort. Folks usually have these shocks just laying around after an upgrade.

Just some food for thought and good luck with your quest.

david despain

Adventurer
Umm, there's one thing about the shock eye hole size; the FJ80 bottom eye hole is 3/4" ID where as the top eye hole of the RR shock is 1/2" or less (maybe 12mm?). This is not a big deal but worth mentioning.

Another issue is that if you mount the 80 shock upside down in the RRC, water will collect. The Tokico and OME shocks will experience this problem. However a Bilstein shock doesn't have one half that goes into the other half so upside mounting shouldn't be an issue.

I'd definitely go for a firmer valving shock, otherwise, your RRC body will wallow like a pig on the trail. Ask me how I know!

If you can acquire a set of Tokico shocks (Landcruiser 80 series only, not LX450 shocks) and try them out, it'd be worth the effort. Folks usually have these shocks just laying around after an upgrade.

Just some food for thought and good luck with your quest.

the shocks are upside down, i knew that going in. i drilled a small hole in the dust shield as a drain hole. it's pretty dry here so im not teribly worried.
the bushing problem was a problem though. i bought two bushings (per shock) at the local hardware store and they were a perfect fit. we'll see how they hold up.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Some shocks suffer when mounted upside down. The reason is the gas charge is emulsified in the fluid and once upside down long enough it works it's way to the top, where some valving is that was intended to be at the bottom of the oil. You'll know if the top inch or more of travel is totally undamped. Not sure what this might mean to the rest of the stroke.

Bils, Fox's, King's, & Saw's can go either way because they have a floating piston between the fluid and the gas charge. There may be others, but those I know of for sure.

OneTime

Adventurer
If you are looking into stock length 80 series shocks---i would highly recommend picking up a set of NEW stock shocks from CDan at American Toyota. You can find his contact # in the 80section of ih8mud.com.

The stock Toyota shocks are made by Tokiko---and are a real nice quality shock. Tokiko sells high performance stuff for the ricer cars and typically is on par with KONI-Bilstein etc. Granted- these arent high end Bilsteins---but for $110 for the set-----its a no brainer---bang for the buck shock.

My cruiser has new OME stock height springs---and these shocks are a nice match and have held up well to my 5500lb cruiser this past year. Im sure they would be great on a rangerover if the springs are in good shape.
I can get (4) Toyota shocks from Cdan for $110?? A 2.5" lift is next on my list, but haven't been looking forward to dropping a grand on a OME kit. With new OEM shock and some different springs, can get the lift im looking for with out having to purchase the whole kit?

ARBTECH

Observer
Hi guys,
just a word from the source. OME shocks will not work correctly upside down as a result of their design as mentioned above. In other words if you mount them upside down you might as well have just picked any old shock as you lose the benefits of all the engineers were trying to do.
Marc

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I can get (4) Toyota shocks from Cdan for $110?? A 2.5" lift is next on my list, but haven't been looking forward to dropping a grand on a OME kit. With new OEM shock and some different springs, can get the lift im looking for with out having to purchase the whole kit?

The OEM Toyota shocks while of great quality, will not be long enough for the Old Man Emu suspension, nor will they be tuned nor have the performance advantages of the Nitrocharger shocks either. Best bet is save up the pennies and do the whole matches suspension in this case.

FWIW, there are "conversion" bushings available for many of Old Man Emu shock far different bushing ID's. If there is a size in particular you are looking for I'd be happy to suggest a shock bushing kit that would do the trick if available.

In regards to the direction of the shock body, you absolutely heard it from the source (ARBTECH), they are not designed to be mounted upside down. Shock function aside I can only imagine a small drain hole could easily plug and fill with debris, a single muddy trip could plug it completely and potentially cause some serious damage to other components when it is no longer able to compress. :eek:

Last edited:

Pokey

Adventurer
the stock toyota shocks will ONLY work with the OME stock height springs..............not the 2.5" OME.

fwiw- the stock height OME springs do net a good 1-2" of lift over where your saggy stock springs likely are.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles