Box Rocket Homemade trailer build.

GTKrockeTT

Observer
sweet build, i'm definitely going to be following the progress. i wish i had even 1/10th of the fabrication skills you have. perhaps we can e-brainstorm on the trailer lid design when you get to that point, as i'm currently deciding on how to do my own lid.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23720

thought about going with a lid and struts hinged towards the tongue end of the trailer, but i have a spare tire that will likely hamper the ability to open the lid along that edge.

Box Rocket

Making some progress. Slowly but it's coming. Other than getting it painted and getting a floor in place it is essentially "useable" now. I still need to build the lid, get the lights all done up, and look and some kind of bedliner for the inside and underneath.

More details on MUD but here's where I left it last night.

Small update. Had a busy week and weekend with other stuff and haven't made as much progress as I'd like lately. But last night I got the tailgate skinned up and the fenders mounted and trimmmed. These are 11" wide pre-fabbed fenders that I'm going to try for a while. They don't quite cover the whole tire but pretty much everything but the shoulder of the tire. Maybe not ideal but I'm going to use it this way until I can build some different ones. Also I included a picture of the tiedown loops I'm using inside the tub. 22 tiedown spots around the inside of the tub using these and there may be more in the floor when I'm done but this might be plenty.

_MG_3371.jpg

_MG_3370.jpg

_MG_3369.jpg

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Looking great Adam!

I havn't had a chance to read through your Mud build thread but did you consider longer rear leaf springs of any variety?

Box Rocket

Thanks Kurt. I may end up changing the springs. I'm going to see how these do and if it's too unruly, then I will look at some longer springs. With the wheeling/camping season just around the corner and now having 4 kids and being out of seats (and room for stuff) in the 80 I'm pressed to get this thing together pretty quickly.

For what it's worth, I would love to go with trailing arms and air bags. And if I end up ditching these springs, I may just jump right to that. But budget and time didn't allow it at the moment.

XJBANKER

Explorer
Thanks Kurt. I may end up changing the springs. I'm going to see how these do and if it's too unruly, then I will look at some longer springs. With the wheeling/camping season just around the corner and now having 4 kids and being out of seats (and room for stuff) in the 80 I'm pressed to get this thing together pretty quickly.

For what it's worth, I would love to go with trailing arms and air bags. And if I end up ditching these springs, I may just jump right to that. But budget and time didn't allow it at the moment.

I almost called you on Saturday to see if I could come and look at your trailer. I sold my M100 saturday and decided that I would start from scratch instead. I have to tell you I still miss your FJ40. I didnt know that by getting rid of one MONEYPIT you would get into another. If you dont mind I would really like to come and see your trailer sometime. You still live in Syracuse right?

Box Rocket

I almost called you on Saturday to see if I could come and look at your trailer. I sold my M100 saturday and decided that I would start from scratch instead. I have to tell you I still miss your FJ40. I didnt know that by getting rid of one MONEYPIT you would get into another. If you dont mind I would really like to come and see your trailer sometime. You still live in Syracuse right?

Yep still in Syracuse. I'm sure I should know who you are but I don't recognize the username, sorry. Refresh my memory. My current cruiser is no where near the moneypit that my 40 was. Not that it was a bad thing with the 40, it was just a lot of stuff I wanted to do to it. Still lots of stuff I'd like to do to my 80 but priorities in life have changed a bit.:snorkel:

Box Rocket

_MG_3370.jpg

Have you considered a verticle cut front front to rear on your fenders and just adding a stripp of slightly wider sheet metal to get the width you are looking for?

This was you get the nice finished edges that are allready there but dont have to fab anything from scratch. Just a thought

I could but honestly it would be less work to end up with something much stonger if I fabbed from scratch. I wanna try these out for a bit. They may be just fine for what I'll do with the trailer, but if not, I don't mind building some beefier ones. Thanks for the suggestions nevertheless.

XJBANKER

Explorer
Yep still in Syracuse. I'm sure I should know who you are but I don't recognize the username, sorry. Refresh my memory. My current cruiser is no where near the moneypit that my 40 was. Not that it was a bad thing with the 40, it was just a lot of stuff I wanted to do to it. Still lots of stuff I'd like to do to my 80 but priorities in life have changed a bit.:snorkel:

I did not think that you would remember me so I was waiting for the confused response. Trent and Shellie Ashby are my brother in law and sister. I am Steve. Trent was showing me pictures of your trailer on Saturday and that is what ultimately helped me decide to sell my M100. No hurry but I would really like to come and take a look at it and pick your brain.

Box Rocket

I did not think that you would remember me so I was waiting for the confused response. Trent and Shellie Ashby are my brother in law and sister. I am Steve. Trent was showing me pictures of your trailer on Saturday and that is what ultimately helped me decide to sell my M100. No hurry but I would really like to come and take a look at it and pick your brain.

Oh my. I really hope you don't look at my trailer as something superior to that. What I am doing is so simplistic in comparison. Also, I'm lucky to even be pulling off what I am. I am no fabricator, barely have an adequate set of hand tools, and I'm just lucky to have a welder that I'm borrowing. I'm sure it's obvious from my photos that I'm going completely for function over form. I'm just flat out of room in my truck and need somewhere to put gear and a way to haul some stuff around the house. If my trailer will keep stuff from falling out all over the road or trail, and actually stay behind the truck, then I've met my goals.

Either way, you're welcome to pick my brain, but don't think I'm any expert.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste