Possible Rtt Option

b jeepin

Adventurer
IMG_5329.jpg

This tent was one of the most cost affective options ive come across so far. the tent is not designed for use as a rtt but is easily adapted to work if you have the right dimensions. this particular setup is a two man cot tent. designed to keep you off the ground in this case way off the ground. i recently purchased this guy gently used and so far i love it! i still need to fab up a ladder because it is not all that easy to get in and out of. i have this mounted right now to the factory rack on the jeep, i plan on installing a custom rack in the near future. these tents can be found at some retailers in certain areas or search online for a cot tent. these can be purchased for less than 300.00! it definately will take more time to figure out mounting, height restrictions, a ladder, a cover, etc. but is quite comfy and i'll add more updates on how it holds up soon! thanks for your interest, Brad. cheapthrillsoffroad
:1888fbbd:

Bergger

Explorer
I used a similar set up for a while prior to getting my trailer. I really like the tent cot and still use it for those times I don't want to take the trailer out. I actually had mine bolted down on top of my pickup bed so I only had to fold it up and cover it when I broke camp.

I still can't seem to upload pictures so here's a link to an earlier post showing the set up I had.

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=44931#post44931

granitex1

Adventurer
Here is what I do when it is just me
Picture002.jpg

The hard part was deciding on how I wanted to make the roof rack so that I could make a ladder that was removeable, to the back and sides if needed.

The top of the ladder clips over the top rail of the rack, and the bottom of the ladder rests on the top of the hitch, and is pinned with the hitch pin.

The ladder started out as a prototype, but in the last three years I have not found enough things to change to justify making a new one.

To keep the cot on the roof there are rails built into the floor of the rack, that the legs of the cot clamp into. So far the best clamps that I have found are a cross between a plastic hose clamp and a cable tie. You can find them at Wally World or most auto parts places that have an RV section. I found them for like 2.50 per, and rated for 500lbs so I use them for a lot of items that I need to strap down.

go4aryd

Adventurer
I use an original single tent cot on the front of my FJCs Gobi stealth rack. I simply ordered a new pair of legs, chopped them down, and use quick-fists to mount it to the rack. Have used mine a fair bit. I originally got the idea about 8 years ago from a range rover post. It is great for most weather conditions, but I doubt it would be well suited to highly humid climates nor torential downpours - even if you stayed dry, you would get soaked climbing out of it the next day.

I have looked at the oversized version, but not sure it will fit as well as the single does. My install folds completely flat into the rack while remaining mounted to the rack.

Last edited:

atavuss

Adventurer
am I missing something here? why go through all the hassle of putting a TC on the roof of your vehicle when you could just use it on the ground? I have 4 tent cots (one flat top oversize, two dome top oversize, and a double).

go4aryd

Adventurer
I don't have to pack it - nor store it in the vehicle or make room for it on the rack (nor take the time to lash it down). It stays on the rack, both in use and when stowed. Takes me a couple minutes to set up, less than 5 to store. That is the upside for me, and well worth the small amount of prep-work. In my FJC, interior space is precious, and the cots are not small when folded up.

Last edited:

atavuss

Adventurer
ok, I can see your point about saving space inside your vehicle. I have a 4 door Taco with the short bed and space is at a premium in it. years ago my wife and I used to haul all of our gear behind the front seats in a CJ7 (the rear seat was removed). to this day I still can't figure out how we got all our gear in that Jeep! now I tow a 1946 1/4 ton Bantam trailer to be able to take everything.

granitex1

Adventurer
How the cot attaches to the rack
IM000580.jpg

IM000579.jpg

How the ladder attaches to the back
IM000583.jpg

the top of the ladder hooks over the top rail on the rack
IM000585.jpg

When used on the sides the strap keeps it from moving around, and takes some of the load off of the top bends.
IM000578.jpg

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
atavuss wrote:
am I missing something here? why go through all the hassle of putting a TC on the roof of your vehicle when you could just use it on the ground? I have 4 tent cots (one flat top oversize, two dome top oversize, and a double).

I thought that it was for lion protection. :archaeolo

Photog

Explorer
:hehe: Very funny.

I should have said: What do they look like, when they are folded up, mounted to the roof rack?:sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier