Toyota Trailer

Markgyver

Observer
Im new here and have been searching this site for quite some time. I have now decided to build my own expedition trailer. I picked up a 1975 toyota Truck bed that I want to turn into a trailer to pull behind my FJ cruiser.

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
For a brief moment I thought you had an OEM Toyota trailer, which I would then drool over for the next hour, they are extremely rare, only one in the US that I know of.

Truck bed trailers can be simple, effective builds. I would recommend ditching the heavy frame for something a bit lighter and more purpose built, possibly integrating the stock suspension with a modified leaf pack in combination with a standard trailer axle.

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
cruiseroutfit said:
For a brief moment I thought you had an OEM Toyota trailer, which I would then drool over for the next hour, they are extremely rare, only one in the US that I know of.

Do you have any info on the Toyota trailer? I did a quick Google search and didn't come up with anything.

Markgyver

Observer
I had no idea that Toyota made a trailer.
I bought this truck bed for $250 it has no rust and is in almost new condition, The guy I bought it from was restoring the truck and had 2 beds. The only thing is the tie down hook have been removed and smoothed out. But I guess I can live without the hooks. Im going to make a frame out of 2"X3" tube steel and probably do leaf springs to keep the cost down.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
CA-RJ said:
Do you have any info on the Toyota trailer? I did a quick Google search and didn't come up with anything.

But of course :D

EDIT: but it won't let me attach it here. Seems the ExPo database is having issues?

Markgyver

Observer
Frame

Well I bought some steel tube 2"x3"x1/8" and am making the frame. Im not quite sure what I want to do with the tounge. I eventually want to install a tounge box on the trailer but was looking at a Chaser AT this weekend and kind of like the tounge its really compact, Or do I want to make a traditional A-Frame that takes up more room which will help increase the tounge weight also.
This trailer will be heavier than a Chaser also.

What do you guys think.

trailer.jpg

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I'm a fan of the A frame, but I'm sympathetic to the backing & turning advantage of a single tube.

masterplumber

Observer
I would go with the straight tounge but use a 2'' receiver at the end of it - that way you can insert different hitches as needed & save up for a lock n roll. the other advantages are you can remove the hitch for security & if you make the straight section longer than 1\2 your vehicle width you can jack knife the trailer more than 90 degrees to get out of a situation. On a side note 1\8'' steel seems a little thin - most of the trailers I've worked on & built have been 3\16'' or 1\4'' wall - should be fine if you brace & gusset the joints well but I'd make the tounge thicker & add some metal at the spring hangers. Just my $.02 --- Doug

Markgyver

Observer
1/8" Tube is plenty thick had a engineer run the calcs on it you would want 3/16 or 1/4 for channel. Also you have to think that this is a 5'X6' utility trailer and not a car hauler

highlandercj-7

Explorer
Grease Cruiser said:
The Toyota Trailer was called the T10.

Here you go:

http://www.oldlandcruisercompany.com/ToyotaTrailer.html

Fricken pirates the trailer and the vehicle look way to much like Willys. :ar15:

As for the tubing 2x3 x 1/8th should be fine if there's enough of it. I used 2x3 3/16" in my build and it worked great but I think my design would have worked well in either wall thickness. Just so happened I had 3/16" laying around from another project.

Last edited:

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Any idea what the resultant Factor of Safety was?

While I think 1/4" a bit excessive for a trailer of that size, I do worry that without a lot of dimension in the single tongue tube that 1/8" will result in a flexy tongue. Not flexible in a static loading, but from the impacts of going down the road.
I have no worries about 1/8" for the rest of the frame.

Markgyver

Observer
I dont remember what resultant factor of safety was. Im actually going to use 2" reciever tube which is 2 1/2"x1/4" for the tounge and 3"X2"X1/8" tube for the A-frame.

Last edited:

highlandercj-7

Explorer
Markgyver said:
I dont remember what resultant factor of safety was. Im actually going to use 2" reciever tube which is 2 1/2"x1/4" for the tounge and 3"X2"X1/8" tube for the A-frame.

That will work nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles