Flippac Info?

suntinez

Explorer
Thanks KC, getting there slowly but surely. I keep interrupting myself by taking it places ... but that's the whole point, eh? One day I'll get everything bolted down back there.

Louie ... can't wait ... you've been waiting a long time I know. Will be interested to see how that goes.

Rex, Mine attaches by six bolts through the bed railing, they don't suggest C-clamps for when it's flipped open and loaded with heavy humans. You can see a pic of one of them just above the fridge.

I got the flip-down window for cleaning between the cab and the shell. I have to leave windows open all the time 'cause my dog is a maniac (car herding, geez) and has to ride back there in her crate. So yep it gets kinda dusty ... one day she'll learn to ride in the cab like a proper spoiled dog, and the world will be a better place. :)

On the longbed versions of the flippac, there is a "scoop" on the bottom part up to the torsion bar - on the regular and shortbed versions there is a little "nose" that hangs over the truck cab. The shorter the bed - the longer the "nose". Both kinds pictured here. I really need to put a boot between the shell and the truck so snow doesn't get packed in there. On the shorter bed versions the nose would keep the snow out I think.

Bella PSD

Explorer
suntinez said:
On the shorter bed versions the nose would keep the snow out I think.

You would think so but not on mine! I get the same amount of snow falling between the space between cab and shell on my ARE cap as my Flip. No big deal, as the snow melts as soon as the truck warms up.

Also, I had mine C clamped down for 3-4 months before I started the Flip Pac camper build.

As far as dust intrusion on the trail... No, as long as you are closed up. Its very well sealed up when closed.

Diane, at Flip Pac, said the new torsion bar should be to me Today!!

Louie

Rexsname

Explorer
I am less concerned about snow than dust. I also have a 'thing' about dirty windows, glass cleaner is allways in the truck:shakin: . Can you get your arm inbetween the topper and the truck?

REX

Bella PSD

Explorer
My Flip was to old for the new flip down window Linda has on here new Flip Pac. Just get that option and you are set. My ARE cap has a flip down window and it is very easy to clean the dirt off of the rear glass on the truck and the front window on the cap.:)

Louie

vividartichoke

Hello, new member seeking info. I went to see Flippac and am just about ready to order. I previously had a tent camper and loved the space and airiness. My concern is my 96 T100 4 cylinder 5 speed, 104K, stock except for belts, tires and shocks. It's an 8' longbed so it will be spacious. I'm concerned about weight and hills but I think the Toyota motorhomes have the same engine. I'm looking for feedback/opinions about if/what I should do to ready my truck for the extra weight. I have thought about trade-in but truck is too clean and worthless for that! Jean

Bella PSD

Explorer
The Flip Pac is only about 250-350 lbs. Depending on the model. Your closer to the #350 with the 8 foot bed. That's not all that heavy. Now a 4cyl, that's a different story....

Louie

Bella PSD

Explorer
suntinez said:
Louis, how's the torsion bar install going? Are you flipping again?

I am Flipping again!!!! I took detailed pictures of the torsion bar install for a later post. Was easy to do and I did it a little different than Flip Pac said too.

Louie

suntinez

Explorer
Bella PSD said:
I am Flipping again!!!! I took detailed pictures of the torsion bar install for a later post. Was easy to do and I did it a little different than Flip Pac said too.

Louie

Excellent!! Will be interested to see the pics when you get them up.

Jean, welcome ... You'll be amazed at how much room you have with the longbed version of the flippac. Weight shouldn't really be an issue until you start adding things in the back. I've seen a couple of T100s sporting flippacs, no noticeable sagging . Like Louie said, under 350 lbs for the shell.

Last edited:

dtwilder

How do you replace the torsion bar on a FlipPac? I've been searching all over and it appears that Bella knows but I can't find the actual instrutions. Any help is most appreciated.

Jason'sLawnCare

Viva Baja
How do you replace the torsion bar on a FlipPac? I've been searching all over and it appears that Bella knows but I can't find the actual instrutions. Any help is most appreciated.

They must be be assuming the torsion bar or hinge is already broken in these instructions. If either are not broken or only partially broken you'll have to relieve the torsion before you try to disassemble.

-Jason

Attachments

• FlipPac_TorsionBarReplacement.pdf
    395 KB · Views: 4

jrring

I changed mine last summer, it was broken but changed super easy. I put my truck under a tall pine tree that I have, I have a handle on the end my flip, tied a rope to the handle and threw it over a tall branch on my tree. Pulled the rope and maneuvered the truck to be directly under the branch, the flip was at a 90 angle. Knocked the old torsion out, installed the new torsion with lots of anti seize, and put it all back together. I used screwdrivers to keep the hinges lined up with the torsion removed. I did this with my wife, brother in law, and myself. I was expecting major headache but I had everything done in under an hour. I definitely said a "thank you Lord" when it went that easy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior